PDA

View Full Version : Turnip On Induction???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hmtmomof3
Tue, Apr-20-10, 05:50
Is turnip really OK on induction?? I just entered it into My PLAN and I'm scared because the little pie chart beside the item is completely red! ..I guess meaning it has more carbs in it than protein and fat. I'm scared to eat this now. Is it really OK??

I've lost 15 lbs. in my first 10 days on induction and I am in ketosis. I just don't want to mess anything up....but I also need some more variety in my diet. Has anyone else eaten this safely while on induction?

Thanks!
Heather

krystalr
Tue, Apr-20-10, 07:17
Looks like 4.6 net carbs for 100 grams (which would probably be quite a lot) I'd say you should be fine :)

ncrn122
Tue, Apr-20-10, 09:18
Looks like 4.6 net carbs for 100 grams (which would probably be quite a lot) I'd say you should be fine :)

Per Dr. Atkins carb counter, Turnip raw (1cup) 8.6 gr. carbs. Hope this helps.
They are also listed as an induction food under the allowed list (vegetables in addition to salad vegetables). This is from a 1997 book. :agree:

krystalr
Tue, Apr-20-10, 10:17
I used the My Plan from here to get the info. This was for raw. Cooked down, since the volume is higher, may be part of the higher carb count (or it's based on a different portion size)

Elizellen
Tue, Apr-20-10, 10:36
Turnips are fine on induction and are a good choice for someone wanting to get 'most' of their net carbs from their vegetables as directed in DANDR as they have a higher carb count than most of the salad vegetables.

I'm scared because the little pie chart beside the item is completely red! ..I guess meaning it has more carbs in it than protein and fat.Try doing the same for lettuce and you will get the same pie chart, as well as for most vegetables on the induction list ;)

capmikee
Tue, Apr-20-10, 11:44
Most true vegetables (as opposed to botanical fruits like squash and beans) have nearly zero fat and very little protein as well. Roots are good because the carbs are mostly starch and not fructose (not strictly an Atkins thing, but it seems to help). Just keep it within your carb count and you'll be fine.

hmtmomof3
Tue, Apr-20-10, 12:43
Thanks Guys!! ..and yes, I also noticed the red pie chart beside my lettuce that I had at lunch today.

I will go ahead and have my turnip tonight! yayyy! Who ever would have thought I'd be excited over eating turnip! hahahaha