PDA

View Full Version : Suggest good book about cholesterol

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

clodagh
Thu, Apr-18-02, 07:05
HI all

I wonder can anyone suggest a good authoritative book I could buy for my Mother and Father about cholesterol?

They are both currently taking Lipitor for high cholesterol - my mother has Familial high chol. , DAd just has high chol.

My Mother has been taking this drup for many years, along with her brother and 2 nephews ( one of the nephew has been taking it for about 10 yrs since he was 12). My mother's Dad died from a massive hear attack in his early forties.

I have been reading on the forum about problems with these types of drugs and I really want them to read up about this and also consider low carbing.

They are total carb addicts. When my mother cooks pasta for everyone, there is so much on the plate that it literally falls over the edges. She always says, it;s not the pasta that's bad for you, it's the sauce that you put on it - so she only makes tomato based sauces. They are the same with bread, and potatoes.

They don't eat cream, butter and only buy those awful chemical spreads. I am sure my mother is getting smaller in height and is probably going to suffer from oesteoporosis. My Dad is also on medication for blood pressure.

I am really worried that these drugs are going to make them even sicker!
Any suggested reading material for them that they won't think is a con?

thanks Clodagh

Oldsalty
Thu, Apr-18-02, 07:38
The Cholesterol Myths by Uffe Ravnskov MD Phd. This is the one to read, pretty well debunks the whole cholesterol myth with good science, shows how the data has been continuously massaged to help the drug industry sell. Here is his web site.

"The idea that too much animal fat and a high cholesterol is dangerous to your heart and vessels is nothing but a myth. Here are some astonishing and frightening facts."

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

clodagh
Thu, Apr-18-02, 07:44
can I get this book on Amazon??

Clodagh

Karen
Thu, Apr-18-02, 11:53
Protein Power also gives a good explanation and Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill by Udo Erasmus.

Reading all three wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

And here is a link to how low-faD dogma came to be:

The Soft Science of Dietary Fat (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40182)

Karen

Oldsalty
Thu, Apr-18-02, 12:30
You can get this at Amazon here is the link
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0967089700/qid=1019154333/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_3_1/103-8874480-1647861

The problem that you face is that they need to get off the high refined carb diet before that seriously impacts their health, as a strategy get them to follow the Protein Power plan first and then talk about the statins. The statins do offer some protection for cardiovascular disease probably because of the anti-inflamatory effect that they have, nothing to do with cholesterol, but until you get their diet changed tread carefully. You do not want to be blamed for a heart attack.....

clodagh
Fri, Apr-19-02, 04:32
Thanks all for your suggestions.

My parents are of the generation that always believe what a doctor tells them and never question it. There's no way they are going to give up the drugs.

But I will give them my copy of Protein Power and Schwarxbein Principle to start them thinking about those buckets of pasta.

Thanks
Clodagh