PDA

View Full Version : Knee issue

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hysteria
Tue, Mar-16-10, 10:14
At my peak in 2004, I was running 3.5 - 4 miles a day and was starting a program to train for the Marine Corp Marathon when I got preganant.

About a year ago I started jogging again (start weight was about 209) and dropped 20 #'s - diet (not really LC) / exercise.

During that time, I started having some minor issues with my left knee. When I went sedentary and gained back 20#+, I didn't notice knee issues. I started back to the gym on 3/4/10 - treadmill walking about 3.8, no incline. While I am walking, I am fine - no bother what-so-ever. It is after I have been sitting for awile it gets twingy/achy. It not "painful" per-se, but I'm concerned. I'd really like to get back to jogging again - outdoor & treadmill...Obviously, I will need to lose more before I think about pounding my knees again...
thoughts from the experts? Should I think about seeing an orthopedist?

Cajunboy47
Tue, Mar-16-10, 12:25
At the least you have inflammation in your knee joint, if it is not hurting while the joint is warmed up and hurting when it cools down, it could be arthritic, but it can be a small tear in your miniscus. If you can afford an MRI, get it done to be sure of what's going on with it.

If you make it worse through abuse, you're inviting other health issues into your life. Proceed with caution and exercise in a manner to not abuse the knee.

I am no expert, just dealt with a knee problem and avoided a knee surgery after I had 2 Dr opinions that I needed to have it done... I did have an orthoscopy to clean out the knee and then I followed through with stair climbing, lots of walking, squats that eventually led to deep knee bends and now I can run again after years of not being able to do it.... But, I don't extend my knees and I keep the running on a treadmill where the machine relieves some of the pounding.....

Don't ignore it, whatever you do....

Mellzy
Tue, Mar-16-10, 13:54
I'm far from an expert, but I had knee problems most of my life up until 2008. A few things really helped me. The first was chiropractic. A good chiropractor can really help straighten things out. The second was strengthening my leg muscles. The third was losing weight. When I run, I am careful not to fully straighten my knee. It takes conscious effort, but you get used to it after a while. While you are working on fixing things, make sure that you don't push yourself too hard. When I was losing weight and still having knee issues, I did low impact step aerobics. There are other things you can do too that aren't as hard on the knee. You don't want a serious knee injury. Hope that helps!

Wyvrn
Tue, Mar-23-10, 17:35
I think it's really common to get knee problems from spending a lot of time sitting, especially if you're in the habit of hooking one foot over the other underneath the seat, or sitting with knees crossed and unsupported for long periods, which puts an unnatural stress on the joint. Just sitting for long periods of time in general is really bad for you, knees and spine.

AlienBug
Tue, Mar-23-10, 18:14
*Donning flame suit*
Perhaps all these runners complaining about knee pain are avoiding the obvious explanation.

shandarose
Wed, Mar-24-10, 05:09
*Donning flame suit*
Perhaps all these runners complaining about knee pain are avoiding the obvious explanation.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've lived with knee pain for the past 22 years. Fell while roller skating and smashed my knee. I had no insurance at the time so I just had to keep it iced and wrapped and be careful. a few months later found out I was pregnant, so even though I had insurance then I couldn't do anything with my knee. Then, as my daughter got older, no insurance again to take care of it, and I have arthritis from my foot up to my hip now. Still have a swollen, water-infested knee. But I guess I've lived with it this long!

I do walk on the treadmill 5 days a week and do my stretches, etc. But my advice is the sooner you get it taken care of the better. Don't be like me and put it off until it's too late to do anything with it!

PilotGal
Wed, Mar-24-10, 05:38
i had a friend that told me she stepped off a curb and hurt her knee. hurt her for 3 yrs until she met me.. told me she lived on ibuprophen daily, for the pain.

i told her to drop gluten. she thought i was nuts.
i said, "drop gluten for 7 days and then get back to me."
she called me 4 days later and told me it was the first time in 3 yrs she didn't have to throw ibuprophen down her throat for the pain.

it won't hurt to try it yourself.
try it for 7 days.. if it's your diet, you will be relieved of all pain in your knee, and any arthritis you have... promise. :rheart:

rpavich
Wed, Mar-24-10, 08:12
I hope that their is room in that flame suit for two... :)

I'll only say this: (my opinion only) but from what I've read, lifting weights is superior to typical "cardio" type activities for building up cardio fitness (with a caveat that it has to be done right with no rest between sets and it has to be more intense than long) and it is virtually devoid of danger such as knee injury.

Just an opinion.