PDA

View Full Version : Exercise and fuel. =)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hymntonink
Wed, Apr-17-02, 13:30
Hi all! You have all been so helpful. I really appreciate it. This diet is just wonderful I have been enjoying the food and no hunger. I'm finally over the nausia. No migraines around for a day. I'm on my 5th day on Atkins. So I'm looking towards the future and I want to start working out in a week. About 30 minutes cardio and 30 mins weight training 4 days a week. I know that on other diets carbs were a good idea to eat a little bit before to boost energy. Any ideas that could help for energy food and such. I could go without eating anything before, but if anyone has any ideas for a boost of energy and performance... I'd love to hear them. Thanks all!

Kirsten

:wave:

TeriDoodle
Wed, Apr-17-02, 15:01
Trainerdan, our exercise guru, recommends working out on an empty stomach, which is what many of us do. Here's the thread (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21258) for you to peruse. Also, check out all the good info in the general exercise forum (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=12) !!

Good luck!!

Natrushka
Wed, Apr-17-02, 17:32
Kirsten, if your goal is fat loss (and I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume it is ;) ) you will benefit most from exercise in the A.M. done on an empty stomach. Check out the thread Teri mentioned by fern -it is chock full of information on how to workout first thing and what to have beforehand to stave off muscle wasting (basically 1/2 a cup of strong coffee will do it).

You can also do the weight training in the morning, or do it in the afternoons - many people prefer this time of day as they are stronger. If you do workout in the afternoon try to do so 2 hours after your last meal. Post workout it is adviseable to get some protein and a few carbs into you w/in 45 minutes if you have been lifting. If you are doing cardio, wait an hour to get all the fat burning benefit of your workout.

You want to eat after lifting to provide fuel to your muscles - and you want protein in there as well as some carbs. The carbs will help get the amino acids from the protein into your muscles - they will also release a bit of insulin, but after working out this can actually be beneficial. Insulin will help get rid of the cortisol that is produces when your body is under stress - cortisol hinders muscle growth. Taking your anti-oxidants after lifting is another way to control cortisol - vit C and E are your basic antioxidants.

HTH
Nat

JimR-OCDS
Thu, Apr-18-02, 09:14
Myself, daily, I do walking for cadio at lunch and do power yoga in the morning for strength and flexibility.

You get more out of a morning workout than you do an evening work out. The fat burning effect of a morning workout carries on throughout the day, where as an evening work out, slows down after you go to bed.