PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

S Diesel
Thu, Feb-18-10, 14:15
Hey guys - I've been casually persusing these forums for about a year, but now need more support, so I decided to join up.

I first did the Atkins diet in 2004 and went from 220 lbs to 180 lbs and felt great. Unfortunately by 2009 I had gained it all back, and went back on Atkins, dropping this time to 195 before I bottomed out.

I got lazy over the summer, drank too much alochol, exericised less, and then after the holiday season, I was up to between 220 and 230 again.

So here I am starting all over again! I have gotten down to about 215 but I am being so inconsistent and lazy about my eating this go around.

I plan on checking in with the forum daily, to stay upbeat and encouraged.

I just need support staying on track for the long term!

LC_mermaid
Thu, Feb-18-10, 14:34
Hi, welcome to the forums. There is alot of motivation on here, I come everyday to hang out with people who understand the LC lifestyle. There is also so much content here, you could read for hours. I don't forget my LC commitment that easily either. You did this before and you can do it again. The times you tried before could have been just the test runs for the big trip to goal. Good luck!

bkloots
Thu, Feb-18-10, 17:58
Oooo-kay! Now you know that as a "diet" low-carb is just like every other diet: when you go off the diet, you put back the weight. Time to reframe your approach and make it a lifestyle you never abandon--or at least not for long.

That means figuring out how to incorporate things you really enjoy into your lifetime plan, including maybe some alcohol and recreational foods.

Revisit Atkins, and see what he has to say about maintenance. Then get with the program with a good induction, a few weeks of OWL, and a determination to build your menu of choices--recipes, snacks, whatever you need.

This shouldn't be about dieting and deprivation. Nobody can do that!

Best wishes.

Onalise
Thu, Feb-18-10, 20:24
Hi I, as well, am a newb! I am trying to lose weight to go in to the Army :P

BERRIES
Fri, Feb-19-10, 00:47
:wave: Glad you never gave up...I'm also back at it after the 20th something time.lol. This time I'm in for good ;)

Suzien
Fri, Feb-19-10, 08:38
Hi S Diesel and welcome. I'm with bkloots here, you need to tell yourself that this is a lifestyle change, for good. There are some things you may never be able to eat again like sugar, white flour and white rice. It's not so bad though, once you get over the cravings.

I have done the yoyo thing too but not this time because this is an eating regime I can and will live with.

Nobody here will have the answer for you. We have all had to go on our own journeys of discovery to find what works for us and what we can live with. Some like to have more carbs and fewer grams of fat, others love the high fat and very low carb way of eating.

I am sure you can make this change in your thinking and find the way that works. It's sometimes a bit frustrating but we're all here for you.

How about starting a journal too. You can express doubts and achievements and others will support/congratulate you.

Good luck. Suz

S Diesel
Fri, Feb-19-10, 09:24
Thanks folks. I started re-reading Dr. A's book again last night. I think my problem this time is trying to restrict calories and fat, when I really should be embracing the portions and fat of what I am allowed to eat.

For example, my breakfasts have been a meager serving of egg whites with turkey bacon/ sausage mixed in. Lunch is either a chicken breast or atkins bar/ shake. dinner is a nice cut of grilled meat, maybe with some green veggies.

So I am off to the grocery tonight to buy some real eggs and real bacon, real butter and some green veggies. I would love to drop 15 lbs in 2 weeks like I did 6 years ago.

As for the yo-yoing, yes I am guilty of dieting, and not adopting the lifestyle change. With your help, I am hoping to change this.

What is the verdict on the Atkins brand bars and shakes? Should they be avoided? For all of the talk of natural foods in the Atkins book, the bars and shakes seem awfully artificial...?

Suzien
Fri, Feb-19-10, 09:37
So I am off to the grocery tonight to buy some real eggs and real bacon, real butter and some green veggies. I would love to drop 15 lbs in 2 weeks like I did 6 years ago.

As for the yo-yoing, yes I am guilty of dieting, and not adopting the lifestyle change. With your help, I am hoping to change this.

No wonder you can't stick to it, your diet so far sounds horrible. Go and get that lovely tasty food but I would forget the bars. I think it's important to REALLY enjoy what you eat. I went completely mad at first, made things with cream sauces, added real mayonnaise to my salads, even dipped hot dogs into it. Sadly I stopped losing weight after about 20 pounds; the ketones were being created from the excess fat I was eating rather than my stored fat (I think). So now I'm a bit more sensible and try to keep my fat intake to 0.6 grams for every pound of body weight. It still allows me to have the skin on my chicken and real bacon, sausages etc but less mayo and cream. I'm still enjoying it.

Hope this helps.