PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Post

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ariel_UK
Sat, Feb-13-10, 10:45
Hello everyone,

Well this looks like a nice and friendly place:) I unexpectedly want to introduce myself and say HI. I am a part time working mum of 3 and based in the UK. You may laugh but I hadn't actually planned on losing my weight just yet until I stumbled upon this forum today! I have spent the last few years spiraling down with depression arguing with myself on a daily basis if I should concentrate on quitting smoking or losing the weight first and doing neither in the process. All excuses I guess. BUT here I am.....

I followed Atkins once before very well and kept the weight off for years until I had my third son. Oddly enough it wasn't the pregnancy or childbirth that triggered the weight gain it was the depression afterwards. I have never been this large before though. I am so scared about my health and really want to get back to enjoying my family, life and being able to bend down to put my socks on without wriggling sideways and taking a deep breath, or physically lifting my belly out of the way first.

I would love to hear from anyone really, the good, the bad and the ugly:) If anyone has just started out or is starting out in the next week then that would be great to have a moaning/pick me up/congrat buddy. Everyone I know frowns on the Atkins or Low carb approach. Watching them count their calories is agonising, lol, especially when I have seen the results of a low carb approach once before.

Thank you for allowing me time to waffle and I wish you all massive success in your goals.

chermac
Sat, Feb-13-10, 10:54
I haven't just started out, but am more than willing to help you out in any way I can.

Having spent year wishing that I didn't have a large belly in my lap every time I sat down, not being able to tie shoes easily and not seeing my feet (and other areas) for years, I know how you feel. Now that most of my bulk is gone, the feeling of freedom is fantastic.

Any time you're ready to start low carbing, everyone in this forum will help you along the way. Welcome.

CValentine
Sat, Feb-13-10, 11:29
Welcome Ariel!!

This is a great place to find support, info & make friends to help you on your weightloss journey!!

I'm not a beginner, but I wanted to thank you for joining in with us & if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask!

See you around! :) ~Cheryl

MoonDansyr
Sat, Feb-13-10, 11:54
Hi Ariel~

Welcome! Depression is tough and it can certainly zap all motivation! I'm glad you found something that sparked through the wall. I know how hard that can be.

I'm not new here, but I have been successful. However, life threw me a curve ball with a knee injury among other things, and now I'm starting all over. Having gone through some major challenges over the last couple of years, I developed depression, as well ... but I can't take anti-depressants because I'm one of those select few that has severe adverse reactions. It's been tough, but I finally broke through the wall last weekend and started full-force last Sunday. As of today, I'm down almost five pounds and for me, that's motivating.

The first 2-3 days are probably the toughest because of carb cravings. However, if you can tough it out, not only do the craving disappear, but so does your appetite.

I use fitday.com to log my foods and exercise and track my weight. Fitday helps me see exactly how many carbs I'm eating, as well as calories, fat, fiber, etc. While this doesn't apply to everyone, I personally do better if I keep my calories within a certain range and fitday helps me do that.

I hope you find everything you need here to help you be successful. I can tell you, success feels awesome and that's what I keep remembering to keep myself on track!

Good luck!

sgoings
Sat, Feb-13-10, 13:11
I understand about depression. While not diagnosed with depression, I think I suffer from it to a small degree. I don't work outside the home, and while I am grateful to be with my children, it does get lonely. I have two boys 12 and 10. And I have two girls 3 and 16 mos. Same dad. We didn't plan on having the girls, but God had other plans for us. :) After every child I had some depth of depression, especially while nursing. I would daily medicate myself with food. I just didn't care. Now I find myself in a very different phase of life than my friends, starting over with small children. That has been very hard for me. So, I understand, but as you know, the low carb diet does help your mood. And it also helps the cravings. I encourage you to go for it. It will help you in so many ways, not just weight loss!
Take Care,
Stephanie

MisterE
Sat, Feb-13-10, 15:17
You wrote: I would love to hear from anyone really, the good, the bad and the ugly...

Since you have had the good above...I offer the bad and the ugly.
:-)

Welcome home! Need anything, just holler.

moondaught
Sat, Feb-13-10, 17:27
Hi Ariel! Welcome!

Shyvas
Sun, Feb-14-10, 05:18
Welcome onboard Ariel. Wishing you all the best with your future weight loss.

I started Low carbing in October but once you start you never end.............

Where is your exact location in the UK ?

Ariel_UK
Sun, Feb-14-10, 10:17
I am usually a very private person and don't share my fears, thoughts or feelings. I have learnt a valuable lesson this weekend, it is called accepting support. This forum is amazing, I think it will make all the difference to me and my goals, you are all wonderful thank you so much :)

I have spent hours this weekend researching as much as I can, collecting recipes, writing my shopping list and working my way around the forums lurking. I still need to work out this journal thingy. I have just ordered 2 callanetics dvd's too. So, I think I am good to go :) I am still a little unsure of the etiquette here but will work it all out.

Shyvas - the link you gave helped me find a local butcher who looks very good. I am based nr Manchester but hoping to move back South this year. Unfortunately not as far south as the beautiful place you look to be.

lololol ~ Mister E

Shyvas
Sun, Feb-14-10, 13:11
Shyvas - the link you gave helped me find a local butcher who looks very good. I am based nr Manchester but hoping to move back South this year. Unfortunately not as far south as the beautiful place you look to be.

lololol ~ Mister E

I'm used to live in the Garden of England - Kent. Whereabouts in the south will you locate to ?

Ariel_UK
Sun, Feb-14-10, 13:47
Well, I would like to go back to Devon, it's a truly gorgeous place, especially for children. I am a bit of a hobo moved around so much and did spend some time in the Garden of England, at Hythe, but I was only 3! lol.

Where are you now?

Shyvas
Sun, Feb-14-10, 14:07
Near Aix en Provence.

I'v never been to Devon but the scenery does look spectacular together. Clotted cream is also one of my favourite treats.

Ariel_UK
Thu, Feb-18-10, 10:20
oooh, I don't have much of a sweet tooth but clotted cream - yum :)

Shyvas
Thu, Feb-18-10, 10:35
oooh, I don't have much of a sweet tooth but clotted cream - yum :)
I could just eat a spoonful right now. :lol:

Ariel_UK
Thu, Feb-18-10, 11:00
Oh you're bad, very baaad, lol.

moondaught
Thu, Feb-18-10, 12:01
Hi Ariel, thank you much for the good wishes :)

How's it going for you? Have you started induction yet?

Cynthia (also mom to 3!)

Shyvas
Thu, Feb-18-10, 12:10
Oh you're bad, very baaad, lol.

Yeeees - had a few strawberries instead. :lol:

BERRIES
Thu, Feb-18-10, 12:31
:wave: WELCOME!! THE BEST PLACE TO BE :thup:

cjmobxnc
Fri, Feb-19-10, 10:53
Welcome to the group. Don't feel afraid to ask any questions - we don't bite (or at least I don't). We might not have all the answers, but we can point you in the right direction of someone who does.

Ena
Sat, Feb-20-10, 12:51
Hi Ariel,

I have spent the last few years spiraling down with depression arguing with myself on a daily basis if I should concentrate on quitting smoking or losing the weight first and doing neither in the process.

I can completely empathize with you (well, apart from having kids) and it's not a nice place to be. Hope you are getting help with your depression. I finally talked to my GP a little over a year ago and really wish I had done so sooner!

I have also lost weight and maintained successfully with Atkins before and then put a lot of it back on. It's very frustrating. But I've just got back on the wagon so things can only get better. :) I also find that lowcarbing really improves my mood and energy levels, so all the more reason for you to get back into it if you can.

As for the smoking - I managed to quit with Champix and to me it's a miracle drug!

Ena
Sat, Feb-20-10, 12:56
Hey, I'm in Devon! And yes, clotted cream is gorgeous - and completely low carb friendly. :D

Ariel_UK
Wed, Mar-03-10, 03:53
Thanks for the new welcomes. I was off to a shaky start but start I have - finally!

Oh Ena, I heard great things about champix but my Doc won't let me have them. People keep telling me I am doing it the wrong way round and should stop smoking before losing weight. However I want to do both and think once I have lost a bit of weight and start feeling better and getting more active then it might be more motivation for the other bad habit. It's a theory anyway :)

Hope everyone is staying on track.

Tortie
Wed, Mar-03-10, 05:08
Hi all

Starting 2003 I lost a lot of weight doing Atkins and found this community amazingly supportive, maintained the weight loss for a while but after some difficult times I gradually put the weight back, but last summer I had an OMG moment when I weighed in after a holiday in Prague (what I call my dumpling moment as we ate lots of delicious dumplings on holiday), went back to Atkins and lost 2 stone from last June to Christmas. After Christmas I got stuck so to move my body over this block I am following All about W8 programme and have lost 7 lbs in two weeks (phew!). I would love to give and receive support from people here. Seems most of the people I knew 2003-2007 have faded away. My intention long term is to maintain through a general low carb eating plan cause it really does suit me.

Ariel - don't listen to anyone else - if you want to do the weight and smoking together - good luck to you.

Ena - whereabouts in Devon? Devon is so beautiful and relaxing. I used to go for holidays as a child to stay with family on a farm near Tiverton. Then 2008-9 Christmases I stayed in Withridge and rediscovered Devon. Now I am hooked. Just before Christmas this year I went to a lovely ladies health spa in Babbacombe - the view of the coast is spectacular. Clotted cream is low carb but not the scones and jam!

cjmobxnc
Thu, Mar-04-10, 06:35
Ariel, good luck in trying to quit smoking and lose weight at the same time. I have faith in you that you can do it.

moondaught
Thu, Mar-04-10, 06:53
Hi Ariel! Saw you over in the word assoc thread and thought I'd pop to visit.

So, pashminas...I love them :) I have five or six of them and wear them all the time.

How are things going for you? I'm doing so much better than I was - not sobbing all the time for no reason and my energy level is back to where it should be. I feel like ME again. It makes all the difference in the world. I'm hoping that your struggles with depression are in a better place, too.