PDA

View Full Version : Hello, y'all!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

beezipper
Wed, Feb-10-10, 09:51
Janice here!

I am on my fourth week of following Atkins to the letter. Before I even started I went poking around all of the different forums available to the low carb set, and I liked the people here the best.

What better time to introduce myself than this - snowed in and not going anywhere! I live just south of Baltimore, and the snow here is outrageous for us!

I decided to look into Atkins when I was talking weight loss with some ladies over lunch at work, and made a crack that I'd lost a thousand pounds up to this point. One of the ladies looked at me in horror - she thought I meant all at once! :lol:

When I thought about the reality of the situation, it's pretty terrible that I almost wasn't exaggerating. Since I was twelve I've been on so many diets that I'm practically a nutritionist! I'd lose, then gain. Lose and gain. Again and again.

After these almost four weeks following Dr. Atkins' plan, I've come to realize that I've never been successful on Weight Watchers because I had too many choices. If I'm allowed to have the ice cream, then I'll have the ice cream in the house, and if I have a bad day - there's no 1/2 cup measure coming out!

It's been almost two weeks since the scale moved, but the inches are definitely going down - I've especially noticed it since I've been out shoveling snow with my neighbors for almost six hours total in the last few days, and the way it's coming down now, it looks like we're in for six more hours!

I've never joined a forum before, but everybody posting on here has inspired me to. This is a great community, and I can't wait to join in some challenges and share my experiences! I just hope I can figure out how everything works!

LC_mermaid
Wed, Feb-10-10, 10:21
Hello, I am in WV, snowed in too, shoveling is my only recreation as well. I am going to have the best arm definition after this winter. Your history is also similar to mine and many others on here. I have done ww and got to into the dessert recipes and 100 cal junk packs. I am normal on Atkins, well as normal as I can get with food. It sounds like you are in the dreaded 3 or 4 week stall zone. Just keep doing what you have been doing and the scale will be moving again. Congratulations on the 11 lbs lost!!! ~Darleen

MyAngel
Wed, Feb-10-10, 14:55
Okay I'm jealous because we're not snowed in here in Toronto and I'd rather be at home (even if shovelling)!! Hope the weather doesn't create too much havoc.

I'm new myself ... Day 5 of Induction and still feeling the fog, which I hope will lift eventually. I have NO IDEA if I'm in ketosis or not, I looked briefly in the drugstore for them but was a little timid about asking the pharmacist so just left. Maybe I should go back!

In any event, WW did not work for me either because I absolutely hated all the counting. And boy do I hear you when you say that 1/2 cup of ice cream can easily turn into a whole carton if you're having a bad day!

beezipper
Thu, Feb-11-10, 09:19
I am normal on Atkins
Ha! It's nice to know that will be a side effect! :lol:
I understand what you actually mean, though, that you don't eat like a lunatic.

Okay I'm jealous
My parents are jealous, too! They just moved to Utah this summer from here in Maryland, and Mother Nature turned the tables on them - we have more snow than we've ever had before and they're having less!
I drove to work this morning in my Corolla and it was one of the more stupid things I've ever done in my life. They lifted the Phase III snow emergency, so I figured I would try. I have a settlement tomorrow and when people want to buy a house, they don't care why you couldn't get to work.
Good luck getting through induction - if I did it, I know you can do it!

I forgot to update my stats, but I think all the shoveling moved my little stall along and I'm down to 251 this morning - exciting! My weightlifting, protein shake inhaling boss even commented on it across the coffee pot this morning...that's a big deal! :thup:

Sorry for being so long-winded - I am feeling chatty today and nobody is in the office but the boss!

LC_mermaid
Thu, Feb-11-10, 10:26
Beezipper, you should start a journal, you can chat all you like, people come and visit and they comment on your chat and cheer you on. I really love my journal, it has helped me alot too. I am glad you got out of the house.

Hi MyAngel, in some stores you have to go and ask the pharmacist for the ketostix. I don't know why and at other stores they are over with the diabetic supplies? I figure that if you are at or under 20 carbs a day you are in ketosis.

MyAngel
Thu, Feb-11-10, 13:16
All of you are such an inspiration ... my only problem is that I'm not getting any work done here at the office because all I want to do is read these posts :D I'm going to stop by at the drugstore on the way home and find those darned ketostix, which I'm nervous about using because it reminds me of trying to get pregnant (way back when). I peed on so many sticks hoping for the positive and when it didn't happen it was horrible! But all joking aside, I'm pretty sure I'm in ketosis and will certainly report back tomorrow on my findings ..... :wave: you guys make me smile ....