PDA

View Full Version : Really doing it this time

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

arctica
Tue, Feb-02-10, 11:14
I have been lurking and posting (though not for years) on this board and see how wonderful everybody is. I need to lose about 100 lbs and have tried everything, Weight Watchers, Slimming World, you name it only to become sick with low blood sugar and getting fibromyalgia attacks. I finally realised that I am a carb addict with nobody to blame but myself. I need all the support I can get. Two addictions are already going, diet sodas and wine. I love to share a bottle of wine with my husband on a Friday after work (normal size not big size bottle), but that leads me to binge eating on sugar - basically anything I can get my hands on. I am in my 50's now and don't want to end up 60 and still fat. I am hoping that with proper supplementation and following Atkins to the letter, I can also get rid of arthritis pain. The recipes look fabulous and I managed to get some ready ground flax meal from the health food store yesterday so I am going to make some flax bread. Dh and I cleared the kitchen on Saturday of flour, sugar and starchy carbs. He has a high metabolism and walks 8 miles per day as part of his commute so he will need some carbs, but I thought he could have oatmeal for breakfast and maybe get a loaf of whole grain bread to keep at work during the week (if I see it I will eat it). So, how do I manage this with a husband who needs more carbs? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

AZDweller
Tue, Feb-02-10, 11:29
I finally realised that I am a carb addict with nobody to blame but myself. I need all the support I can get. Two addictions are already going, diet sodas and wine.

Actually, some of us here are fairly OK with the diet soda, but it can set some folks off (the artificial sweeteners). If you want to go without for a while and see if it helps stop the cravings, go for it. I think you are going to have to stop the wine. Stop blaming yourself right now. Our bodies do this -- they are carb addicts and turn us into stupid carb-craving monsters. You are going to start eating healthy.

Stock the refrig with legal foods so you can grab a hard-boiled egg or some meat when you are hungry. If you want to send DH to work with carby stuff, send it away from you. Read the books. Understand why and how this works. I would prefer not to give my DH anything carby because carbs and animal proteins make cholesterol, and I kind of want to keep him around a while. But your husband is more physically active, and if he can handle that, then let him do what works for him. Good luck to you.

arctica
Tue, Feb-02-10, 11:43
I see you are in Arizona. I am American but living in the UK. Dh is English. I agree with you that I shouldn't put myself down but I have been feeling rather unhappy about my situation and I just need to pull myself up and make some changes. I think it would be best if I can just adopt a different attitude, not about what I give up but what I am going to gain by doing this, my health, less chronic pain and hopefully a longer life. Also, since I injured my left knee badly two years ago in a fall (dislocated knee!) if I can get this weight off and keep it off, my knee should feel better. I already walk about 3 miles a day for my commute, not to mention doing loads of stair climbing. I appreciate your positive comments. Yes, you are right about the wine! Sigh! But at least I can have real mayonnaise and lovely food so that is a good trade off.

AZDweller
Wed, Feb-03-10, 10:57
Absolutely. When I start feeling deprived about the things I can't eat, I think about all the great things I can eat and don't feel so bad.

Melesana
Wed, Feb-03-10, 11:14
Hi Arctica. I see you and I have the same current and goal weights, and the same height. I'm in my sixties, and started this in my sixties. You're right to get started now; I think the years make it more difficult. Come visit my journal if you like, and/or start one so we can visit you. It helps.

Meg