PDA

View Full Version : Cooked veggies question =)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hymntonink
Mon, Apr-15-02, 11:36
Hello all. My name is Kirsten. Brand new today to this forum. Left a msg in intros. But anyways. I have a question for you all. I'm on my 4th day of induction and I have been doing research online on the Atkins Diet. What I am wondering, which I can't seem to find the answer anywhere... Can I cook my vegetables?? hehe. I really don't know. I know it will up the carb content if you do so I am not sure if they are allowed in induction. All I can find info on is a cold salad. I would love to add some cooked LC veggies like broccoli, string beans, etc. I miss them! Anybody know? THANKS! =)

Love reading the posts. Everyone seems so helpful.

Kirsten

Karen
Mon, Apr-15-02, 12:06
Of course you can! Cooking and finding new ways to serve vegetables is one of the most exciting aspects of LC.

Cooking forces water out the cells. Less water = less volume so the same volume of raw vegetables has less carbs.

Karen

razzle
Mon, Apr-15-02, 12:09
you absolutely can have cooked LC veggies!

If you ever have a constipation problem with this way of eating, you might want to eat only raw ones (you lose fiber in the cooking process), but otherwise, mix it up to keep yourself from getting bored.

Asparagus, cabbage, brussel sprouts, peppers, cauliflower, turnips, leafy greens, summer squash, and mushrooms are also excellent choices for cooked veggies in addition to the two you mentioned, and there are many more choices.

hymntonink
Mon, Apr-15-02, 12:17
WOOHOO! Thanks Karen and razzle. VERY good to know. I'm gonna cook some veggies right now!

Happy veggie cooker

Lisa N
Mon, Apr-15-02, 14:51
It's fine to cook your veggies, but you should cook them in as little water as possible or steam them and cook them tender-crisp (not mushy) to preserve as much of the vitamins and nutrients as possible. Adding butter after they are cooked is not only permitted, but encouraged. :D The only exception that I can think of is tomatoes where the more cooked they are the more antioxidants (licopenes) they release. Happy eating! :wave: