PDA

View Full Version : Motivation needed!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ajalum
Tue, Jan-19-10, 00:22
So I am not going to try and sugar coat things....I absolutely HATE HATE HATE working out. Now I also am not stupid and realize it is essential to not only losing weight but being in shape (being thin doesn't mean your in shape). I have just never been a gym loving person EVER!! On that note any tips or advice for me? How long did it take you before you enjoyed working out? Do you still hate it but just do it anyway?

kaarren
Thu, Jan-28-10, 21:37
Hi Ajalum, All I know is that
All of the low carb programs want us to exercise.
Doctors want us to exercise.
All of the other diet tribes want us to exercise.
"If only the fat girl would get out and move, that would help."

Here is the only other thing I know.....................I don't do it!
I have good intentions, but do not usually follow thru.

So, I have to watch the carbs much more closely than others.
Maybe in the end that's what will help - I like to eat!
The more I move, the more I can eat and still lose/maintain my weight.

jcass
Thu, Jan-28-10, 21:54
How long did it take you before you enjoyed working out? Do you still hate it but just do it anyway?

I've done it religiously for 17 years. I still hate it.

Yes, you need it to be in shape. Not all agree that it will help you lose weight. Never helped me anyway. Maybe it helps others.

Best advice if you want to do strength training to stay in "merely decent conditioning" is to learn the minimum number of excercises and the minimum number of sets and the minimum number of reps, the minimum number of days per week (and did I say the minimum weight?) to keep in reasonable shape.

And I would tell you what that all is, but it's ... complicated :/

galatia
Fri, Jan-29-10, 06:59
Look at the bodies of those who making weight training an essential part of their lives and those who don't. That's a huge motivator for me. I'm sure there are lots of things you do in life, not because they're "fun" but because you know it's important to do them. Make weight training one of those things. :)

camaromom
Fri, Jan-29-10, 07:02
What specifically do you hate about it?
Is it the time committment?
Do you find it boring?

1) Walk - if you have a dog even better. It is great exercise. I walk the dog, take my music with me and just wind down. It is relaxing.

2) Try a class - OMG! For the first time in my life I have about 20 friends that I met thru the YMCA because I dared to attend a group fitness class. Chatting with these good people I found out about 1/2 of us are in the same boat. We've lost 50+ pounds and we struggle to keep it off. These peeps have absolutely nothing to do with my work/family life and have become a super support system. Some churches offer classes, gyms offer classes etc.

3) Try something new. I didn't know how to swim so I took an adult learn to swim program. Then later I joined a "Masters" swim team. They worked on my stroke technique and really helped me boost my confidence. And I met more people.

4) I hate cleaning. But if I throw on a pair of sweats, move furniture and wipe down baseboards, tackle cobwebs, and clear off my counters/table etc I can get my sweat on and burn a few extra calories.

There are a lot of things you can try besides a dreadmill, elliptical etc that do not have to be boring.

MirandaJ
Sun, Jan-31-10, 17:12
First thing, are you going to a gym that you feel good just being in?

That has made a world of difference for me. I switched from LA Fitness to Lifetime and it's so nice that I feel comfortable there. I never wait for equipment and they have very nice locker rooms. LA Fitness always smelled like chlorine and no one seemed like they liked to work there.

Would you work out more in your own home? It doesn't take a lot of equipment to do just about everything you need in a spare room of your house.

klowcarb
Sun, Jan-31-10, 20:47
Look at the bodies of those who making weight training an essential part of their lives and those who don't. That's a huge motivator for me.

I've been bodybuilding for 6 years now and can enthusiastically back this up.

serenity77
Sun, Jan-31-10, 21:15
i agree, it's important to find a gym you are comfortable with! who wants to go to a place everyday where you feel like it's snob city? been there done that, not worth it! ;-)

i too, hated working out but over the last few years with many starts and stops have started enjoying it. You know like they say it takes doing something 21 times to make it a habit....and maybe (hopefully) enjoying it too.

i have found my routine with the crosstrainer and resistance training at a gym that I feel comfortable with. the big reward for me is that it does make me feel SO much better. I waited until I was pretty smooth with this whole LC thing for about a month before going back to work out. I think you're body needs to adjust to the way of eating before adding in another change like exercise.

i also have a gym that has a steam room and that is such a great way to end a work out and relax. Plus it gives you beautiful skin! good luck to you! if I can do it.....well i feel that anyone can. and it does surprise me how much I enjoy it after I drag my butt in there ;-) endorphins are a wonderful thing!

I also think that it gives you more motivation to stay on plan because not only do you feel better but who would want to ruin a great work out with eating crap? it's kind of that whole balanced lifestyle starting to take form thing.

DebiLMT
Mon, Feb-01-10, 00:10
I walk about four times per week. That is all the exercise I get at this time. It makes me feel better, more relaxed and like I can breathe. I just walk outside, no gym, no special equipment.