PDA

View Full Version : "Tuna Melt"

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

darcijj
Fri, Apr-12-02, 18:35
I have taken to eating tuna a couple of times a week for lunch.... and one day decided to try something new.... After mixing with the mayo I sprinkled generously with shredded cheese... and heated up for 30 seconds in the microwave... hmmm was very good... now I am thinking of adding some chopped tomato to the mix... and onions.. but was not sure if onions are okay or not in the begining of LC....

oh and of course.. LOTS OF PEPPER!!!!

alto
Fri, Apr-12-02, 18:43
This is turning out to be tuna week :) Another terrific tuna recipe. Thanks for that -- I've thought of just putting cheese over tuna and melting it in the toaster oven (I don't have a microwave) but I wouldn't have thought to mix it with mayonnaise. So basically, make a tuna salad and put cheese on top. Great idea :)

darcijj
Fri, Apr-12-02, 18:48
Thanks ALTO!!! just thought to myself as I was eating "why didn't you think of it sooner"... after all we can make all those yummy "sandwiches"... just leave out the bread!!!

I have to admit my favorite way to eat tuna was to toast the bread and then top the tuna with potato chips!!! :eek:
won't be doing that anymore!!!!

doreen T
Fri, Apr-12-02, 19:13
hi Darci,

Try green onions (scallions). One medium green onion has only 1.1g carbs minus 0.4g fiber.

Or, ¼ cup stuffed green olives (with the red pimento) .. chopped .. has only 0.7g carb minus 0.3g fiber.

Doreen

alto
Fri, Apr-12-02, 19:33
Darci -- I had a good laugh at your ideal tuna sandwich. I'd forgotten completely how my school lunches often had crushed potato chips on top of tuna (on white bread, of course). Maybe we were salt deprived!

2OnAtkins
Wed, May-22-02, 11:11
I thought that I was the only nut who did this! :lol:
My DH used to give me strange looks when I put chips on my tuna sandwich. It was a great way to eat tuna!

raindancer
Wed, Jun-05-02, 13:49
Hi all:)
I am craving Tuna now......!!! Gotta get to the kitchen! :wave:

dirtyvegas
Tue, Jan-06-09, 22:00
I am new and on the induction now going on 7 days and loving it. I made a AWSOME tuna melt. Made tuna fich with mayo, lemon juice lots of pepper a lil onion not much. Also you can add some vchopped dill pickles too (optional) I slice a large tomato and I place a large spoon full of the tuna mixture on it and topped with shredded cheese and heated for a 30 sec. YUMMY

alsmez
Thu, Jan-08-09, 16:30
I do this too - make my usual tuna mixture with mayo, then top with swiss cheese and either bake or nuke until the cheese melts. Makes an AWESOME dip for pork rinds.

NrgQuest
Sun, Jan-25-09, 22:20
Oh thank you so much. I was in Kroger a couple nights ago and all the aisles were no-no aisles. My daughter and I were walking down the canned meat/beans or something aisle as a short cut to the parameter and I saw tuna, I love tuna patties, but the way I used to make them would be a lc er's nightmare. So, I skipped on the tuna, now I have some ideas on how I can make my tuna lc. Thanks wow, tuna on a mater or green pepper.

PS. I used to put potato chips on my tuna too. I don't like just eating chips though they are best on sandwiches. Goodbye potato chips, don't miss ya.

GunaB130
Tue, Jan-27-09, 00:19
Hi...I take tuna mix in mayo, shredded cheese, some pickel & then form 3 patties and fry them in a pan with some butter until they are very crispy..............so very yummy!!!! I also use a little mayo for a dip. ;)

NrgQuest
Wed, Jan-28-09, 13:11
Guna, you mean you can make tuna patties without a whole section of saltine crackers? *gasps* I would probably have to use two cans of tuna for your recipe though, I am still eating pretty healthy ie large quanities.

kerbear879
Wed, Jan-28-09, 13:24
Pan fried tuna! Man I am not a fan of tuna but I would probably like it if I fried in some butter till crispy..I'm trying that for dinner tonight! :)

NrgQuest
Thu, Jan-29-09, 21:07
This tuna melt is so good. I made mine with Kraft mayo made with olive oil. I baked sliced egg plant for 10 minutes, then I topped it with the tuna mixture and heated it til the cheese was melted. It would be so much better if the egg plant was crispy, but I don't know if I fry it then top it and bake it if it will stay crispy.

dirtyvegas
Tue, Feb-03-09, 13:09
I make tuna patties with green pepper, onion and egg and salt and pepper and some garlic. I add a very lil mustard and then crushed pork rinds, and fry in olive oil.. So yummy then serve as a burger with tomatoe and lettuce buns!
YUMO!!:)

msmum1977
Wed, Feb-25-09, 09:39
homemade cheese chips (just cheese melted in the microwave until crispy) are delish dipped in warm tuna salad. My personal favorite:
scallions, green olives, and bit of chopped dill pickle and real mayo!

NANCI B
Wed, Mar-04-09, 13:13
I have been making tuna melts for lunch. I found just the thing that gives it that special something that puts it over the top. At wallmart there is a sweet gherkin made with sucralose. they also come in a SF bread and butter.. the brand is Nalley. They are really good with 1 carb per serving. I chop them up and add them to the salad....also 1 tbsp of the pickle juice. This has been a lunch go to for about a week now. Yum.

HappyLC
Fri, Mar-06-09, 10:02
I'm so glad this old thread was revived, or I never would have seen it. I can't believe it never occurred to me to have a tuna melt w/o the bread! <insert head-slap emoticon here>

I just made it for lunch and it was delicious. :yum:

NrgQuest
Mon, Mar-09-09, 10:30
I made tuna patties in coconut oil, without the cracker crumbs. I used two cans of tuna, 2 eggs, and parmesean cheese. Fried em up and made a sour cream topping, they were great. I wasn't happy with the egg leakage, but the taste made up for that. They really hit the spot.

msmum1977
Mon, Mar-09-09, 12:36
I made tuna patties

Somewhere here in the recipes section, there is one for chicken patties made with canned chicken. Sounds similar to your tuna patties!
Either way, both are deeeeelish with cheese :yum:

NrgQuest
Thu, Mar-12-09, 14:08
Oh I am going to have to try that with chicken.

HappyLC
Tue, Mar-17-09, 11:27
I just finished eating another DELICIOUS tuna melt (sans bread, of course) and had to come back (again) and say "THANK YOU!"