PDA

View Full Version : Is this tooooo much wieght loss??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

fulltank
Thu, Apr-11-02, 01:45
Hi, I am brand new here, this being my first post. Anyway I was wondering I am also brand new to the Atkins diet. I hear alot of people say they lost 5 pounds in a week. I lose and gain about that much every couple of days without dieting (must retain water or something) anyway I was 264 this week but when I started the diet I was 260.5 now 2 days after starting the diet I lost another 6 pounds, I am 254.5 and thats not counting the 3.5 I dropped right before the diet so I am asuming it isn't water wieght. So is 6 pounds in 2 days on the diet too much?? Hope that wasn't too confusing :)

LittleAnne
Thu, Apr-11-02, 02:34
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You say that your weight normally fluctuates. Do you always way yourself on the same scales, at the same time of day, and wearing the same things? If not, you should do. Your body changes in weight by 4 or so pounds during the day. I am always about 4 pound lighter in the morning than when I go to bed. The best time to weigh is first thing in the morning after you have had a "wee".

With regard to weight loss on Atkins, if you have lost 6 pounds in 2 days then much of it will be water weight. A truer picture will emerge at the end of the two week induction. People loose anything from 3 to over 12 pounds, depending upon their metabolic resistence.

Provide you are following the guidance given in the book and drinking plenty of water - to flush that fat away - you should be fine.

Every success.

Natrushka
Thu, Apr-11-02, 06:44
Hi there fulltank :) You can generally expect to lose 10% of your fat during the first month and about 5% every month thereafter (withstanding any stalls / plateaus). While a lot of what you lose at first is water, there is also some fat in amongst it.

Ann is right - try to weigh yourself at the same time every day (preferably first thing in the morning before any food) and in the same clothing (or w/o ;) ) for accuracy.

Cheers,
Nat

fulltank
Thu, Apr-11-02, 13:06
Thank you both for your insight, I do wear the same things but I do think the first wieght before I started was later in the day so that would account for those 3.5lbs. It is still going great on day 3's dinner I messed up big time so on day 4 I stayed the same wieght but lost another 1/2 pound today :)