PDA

View Full Version : I Broke LC For...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kristine
Wed, Apr-10-02, 10:14
I was at 7-11 last night, intent on only buying some diet soda for work. And then I saw it.

In the energy drink section, there was a brand called Whoop-Ass.

I just had to Open Up A Can Of Whoop-Ass<small>(tm)</small>

The can says, "revitalizes attitude and restores faith in mankind"
The warning on the label: "Not recommended for people who shouldn't drink it. (you know who you are.)"

I think I burned off the carbs laughing. (And bouncing off the walls at work from the guarana, sugar, ginseng, ginko, cola nut, and whatever the heck else was in it.)

Oh well - back on the wagon. Gonna go cook some eggs now.

LeeCee
Wed, Apr-10-02, 13:59
There must be worse things you could cheat with. I don't think that's so bad.
The reason I am replying, is because i wanted to find out how "general" low carbing is working for you . . . . . I have been following Atkins since last Monday, 4-2-02, but am thinking about moving to general low carbing since I have a pretty good handle on myself and am not persuaded to cheat at all.
I would just like a little bit more variety, especially in the nuts/cheeses/vegetable departments. I would also like to add a few more alcoholic beverages in (a few scotch on weekends)
I don't have an awful lot to lose, and am moderately active.
Just wondering how that works . . . . .
Hmmmm
Thanks
Lisa

Kristine
Wed, Apr-10-02, 19:57
Hiya Leecee - it's worked out fine for me because in I'm technically at a fairly healthy weight. I'm not desperate to lose the last 15 lbs - it would just be really nice. :D I'm down from a high of 160-ish before Christmas to 137 now. If I had a lot of weight I wanted to lose, or if I had medical problems like high blood pressure or diabetes, I'd be following a more stringent plan. However, my main reason for trying to stay LC is to control heart palpitations I get from mitral valve prolapse. Works like a charm.

I read PP, CAD, and a Zone book and pretty much refused to comply with at least one rule from each of them, hence my own version. :) Basically, I have four to six small meals/snacks per day and try to limit each to 10 g carbs. More or less. I keep track on fitday.com and I also aim for 60g protein per day.

I break the rules on occasion. ;)

LeeCee
Thu, Apr-11-02, 07:46
Thanks for the reply . . . . .So did you drop from 160ish to where you are now using your own method ? Or did you do something else, and then use your version of lo-carb to maintain ?

I've been trying to stick to the 20g carbs on atkins (i'm still only in the second week of this) but I know i've had minor mistakes (ie: coffee every morning, the bacon I eat has sugar in it, I had two scotch whiskeys last friday, and 2 glasses of chardonnay last night-wednesday) Other than that, absolutely no bread, pasta, sweets or anything like that. So I just fear those "hidden" carbs might sabotage me.

My doctor diagnosed me with an arithemic heart a month ago. And the weirdest thing is that ever since last week when I started Atkins, I have had NO episodes whatsoever. I don't know how/why this diet could affect that, but I notice a difference. I haven't said that to anyone yet, because I didn't want anyone to think I am crazy !

Anyway, good luck to you !

Isn't this place great ????

Lisa

Kristine
Thu, Apr-11-02, 09:47
>>"So did you drop from 160ish to where you are now using your own method ? "

Well, I had gained most of that weight over the previous six months because I had been on depo-provera. :thdown: I think around that time, it started getting out of my system. I was "watching" what I ate, but it wasn't an official attempt at low carbing. I think most of it was hormonal.

>>"since last week when I started Atkins, I have had NO episodes whatsoever. "

Ditto. It's commonly reported that blood sugar spikes will trigger them. Many people on MVP support boards have eliminated sugar and refined carbs and it helps.

I don't think coffee is so bad. Or the occaisional drink. I indulge in both. ;) I think following Atkins to the letter is mainly for people with a serious problem who really need to get it under control. If caffeine, etc doesn't really *bother* you, go ahead and enjoy. It seems that everyone has to tweak a little bit with their WOE.

>>"Isn't this place great ???? "

Yep. ;)