PDA

View Full Version : New to Atkins and Stuck Already!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Barb
Tue, Apr-09-02, 12:22
Let me introduce myself:

Did you hear the one about a yo-yo dieter who tried everything from liquid protein, OA, Weight Watchers...only to gain hundreds of lost pounds back and then some...over and over and over? Well, that's me, Barb. Since I am new, I am posting this on the Newbies forum; I apologize in advance if I should have posted on a different forum.

After you read the following, is there any hope for me?! I am praying that some of you have experience with the same issue I have and can offer some guidance and hope. I am beginning to think I am a lost cause. Thank you!

My top weight nearly 25 years ago was 340...I have had great success along my quarter century path. I once lost 200 pounds while in OA (eight years)--only to gain all but 40 back. So you can deduce, I have great set backs, too. I won't call them failures, as I have not given up hope. However, I am almost to that point.

Eleven months ago, I weighed 254 lbs. I joined Weight Watchers and was successful for 8 months--although the weight loss was very slow. Then I hit a four-month plateau, got discouraged and went on a three-day binge. I went from 197.25 all the way back up to 208 in a matter of days. While struggling, I came across the Atkins infomercial. Being desperate, I immediately bought the 1999 edition of the book and began the program instantly 3/24/02).

The first week, I lost an astonishing 10.75 pounds. I was jumping with the joy of hope! The second week, I gained 3 pounds--I was not too surprised because I knew the previous loss was mostly water. However, I am three days into my third week, and I am still gaining. I was hoping to see the reverse by now. I am still eating under 20 carbs a day; however, I added macadamia nuts to my plan two days ago.

I bought a book titled: How to Get the Most Out of Your Low Carb Diet (or something like that) authored by Laura Richards. She had some startling information regarding hidden carbs, how to read labels to determine the correct carb count that isn't listed on the label. I learned I was eating about 6 hidden carbs a day in my sugarless gum and a plethora of other helpful information.

HOWEVER, I am beginning to panic. By the way, I am in ketosis; belong to a gym and water exercise 3-5 times (1 hr. each session--have been for 8 months); haven't gone over carbs; keep my fat higher than my protien ratio; gave up diet pop; don't drink caffenine. Strikes against me: I do take medication for hypertension (ACE inhibitor and a beta blocker), and I am a yo-yo dieter, so I think I have metabolic resistance. What do I do about that? Although not fond of doctors at all (I would rather be audited by the IRS), I do have an appointment 4/22/02 to discuss my blood pressure prescription and to get a total blood work-up done (including thyroid--although I think my thyroid is working just fine).

I am confused about calories. Do any of you count calories (the beauty of Atkins is not counting calories, but they do count, I know...rats!) For a 53 yr. old woman who exercises 3-5 times a week and works as an administrative assistant (fairly sedentary) how many should I eat a day on the average? I hate to count calories, but I must take an intelligent and disciplined route to reach life-long success. I cannot continue to gain on a weight-loss program!

I am open to suggestions; I need help!

Thank you,

Barb

wbahn
Tue, Apr-09-02, 13:24
It sounds like you are doing things pretty well so far. A couple week plateau at about this time is very common. You are still losing fat, but it is being masked by a combination of muscle gain and your body trying to reestablish a good water balance. I have been at this for about three months and have spent nearly half that time in a plateaued state. Others have regularly had month or multi-month stalls. But patience and persistence will get you past them.

The meds can very possibly be slowing your loss. The good news here is that many, if not most, people on HBP meds are able to reduce or eliminate them pretty quickly - some before they even get off Induction!

It's true that your history of yo-yo dieting will work against you for some time to come. Join the club. But that is the past and we simply can't do anything about it and have to accept it.

After you have been doing this for another couple of weeks, ask yourself how you feel. More energy? Fewer headaches? Fewer cravings? Not as hungry? You should soon find that this IS a sustainable and enjoyable way of eating and that you are feeling better. That will make a slow weight loss much less troubling and will start to enable to to take the long term view and start really thinking of this as a Way of Life and not just another diet.

Keep the Faith!

alto
Tue, Apr-09-02, 22:30
Hi, Barb -- Welcome :wave:

I think wbahn has given you some excellent advice.

There are several others here who were slow starters. Two journals (there may be others) where you can track slow start to eventual very good results are Marlaine's and moussie's (both conveniently located with the Ms in the Journal section).

It could take you some time to start. There could be lots of reasons for the weight "gain." You sound as though you've really thought this through and are committed to doing it right -- good luck to you. I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress, and maybe start a journal of your own :)

LittleAnne
Wed, Apr-10-02, 08:28
Hi Barb

I'd also like to welcome you to this forum and to second the advice already given. Over the years I have been a bit of a yo-yo dieter and now I am really happy with this way of life. I'm loosing weight slowly, but it is coming off. I know it will take time and so you must realise that too. We all want instant results, but life is never that simple.

May I suggest that you join Fitday.com (http://) to keep a track of what you eat. This will give you the carb, protein and fat content of all your foods and also the kcals.

You sound as if you are going about it the right way. Have you taken your measurements so you can see the changes that are not registered on the scales? Just keep the faith and soon the scales will begin to move in a downward direction. Don't let any future stalls depress you, read what others have done. This site is a great source of inspiration.

Barb
Wed, Apr-10-02, 12:34
Thanks to all of you who responded to my plea of desperation yesterday! All of your advice is well taken. I did get a chance to read one of the journals and will read the other one suggested when I get home from work and the gym tonight. It is so reassuring to know that someone else experienced the same thing I am experiencing and is successful! I will hang in there for sure...I am thinking about staring a journal; maybe I can help somebody someday, too.

I did take my measurements. I will try not to weigh as often; I am so paranoid that my gaining will not stop, and I don't want it to get out of control. However, I will weigh through Sunday and then cut down to once a week and then once a month (that's the plan anyway).

I will also eat the proper amount of calories (although I hate counting calories); therefore, I am going to start the using fitday.com tonight. I am afraid to eat 10x my weight in calories, but I will do anything to get my metabolism going.

I will have blood tests taken on Aprill 22, so I will know my lipid counts and if my thyroid is out of whack.

I am hopeful, motivated and engergized once again!

Blessed day to you...

imready
Wed, Apr-10-02, 19:20
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your lab tests. I'll bet you'll see a difference in your lipids.

Keep tuning in here. This has been great support to me in the last three weeks since I started Atkins. :wave: