PDA

View Full Version : Berry Muffins (made with coconut flour)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Gypsybyrd
Sun, Aug-02-09, 08:04
My friends, family and I love attending Afternoon Tea. Unfortunately, Tea is a high carb event. I am trying to come up with a Tea menu that is low carb. The savory portion of the Tea menu is, of course, easy to low carb. The sweet portion, especially the scone, is more difficult. Therefore, I'm experimenting with creating low carb scone recipes. My requirements are: no Carbquick/Carbalose, the sweetner used can't make the guests ill, and the scone must taste great. The recipe below is my first attempt (and it's not, yet, a scone).

This is an easy recipe to make and the end result tastes very good. The step that takes the longest is bringing the eggs to room temperature. I started with the recipe from: here (http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/coconutrmuffins.htm).

Here is recipe, as tweaked by me:

Ingredients:

* 3 eggs (room temperature - important)
* 1/3 cup coconut flour (sifted)
* ¼ cup melted butter
* ½ teaspoon vanilla
* ¼ teaspoon salt
* ¼ cup sugar substitute equivalent (liquid preferred) (I used 13 drops liquid Sweetfreeze and 1/8 cup xylitol)
* ½ teaspoon baking powder
* 4T cream (I used regular cream, not heavy)**
* ½ cup raspberries (or any berry)

Preparation:
Heat oven to 375° F. Prepare pan with a generous amount of butter. This recipe makes six "regular"-sized muffins or 21 mini muffins.

1) Whisk or beat the eggs until whites and yolks are well-mixed. Stream in the butter while continuing to whisk. Add vanilla and liquid Sweetfreeze and mix until combined.

2) Mix the remaining dry ingredients -- coconut flour, baking soda, salt and xylitol.

3) Mix the dry and wet ingredients together. Now you will whisk in cream, one tablespoon at a time. The coconut flour will absorb the liquid from the wet ingredients like crazy. You want to get it to a consistency that will hold up the berries, but not be too thick. I ended up using about 4 Tablespoons of cream.

4) Gently mix in the berries and divide among 6 muffin cups (or equivalent number of mini muffin cups). Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until just turning golden on top.

Nutritional Information (using raspberries):
Total recipe:
Carbs: 62.12
Fiber: 17.96
Net carbs: 44.16
Protein: 29.75
Fat: 86.27
Cal: 1134

If making 21 mini muffins, per muffin:
Carbs: 2.95
Fiber: .86
Net carbs: 2.09
Protein: 1.42
Fat: 4.13
Cal: 54

If making 6 regular muffins, per muffin:
Carbs: 10.35
Fiber: 4.96
Net carbs: 5.39
Protein: 14.45
Fat: 2.99
Cal: 189

Remember: if you use only liquid sweetner, the carbs will drop. These nutrition counts were determined using MyPlan.

** The original recipe called for water, not cream. I'm trying to make a scone recipe so I used cream. I have not tried this recipe with water.

JAnn
Sun, Aug-02-09, 17:25
Sounds good. I copied to use. Thanks.