PDA

View Full Version : High LDL colesterol

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hAydeesimm
Wed, Jul-29-09, 06:20
I have been told by my Dr. after my last blood work to get on a cholesterol lowering Rx.I had spent the last two years on W W Diet, feeling hungry all the time and thinking about those points all through the night. Well that is when my cholesterol went up. Now I feel satisfied and happy, I eat very good and have my life back. Have any of you been able to lower your cholesterol and on what program? I am doing low carb by Dana Carpender, I love it but would love to move to The Go Diet. Any one doing this diet? Has it help you lower your cholesterol without Rx? :help:

DTris
Wed, Jul-29-09, 07:08
Avoid plant based oils except coconut and olive oil. Eat plenty of saturated and monounsaturated fat. Keep LCing and your LDL should go down and your HDL should go up.

kathleen24
Wed, Jul-29-09, 10:13
I do a mix of GO and Atkins. The latter cites an enormous body of research that verify his program is heart-friendly, and he claims to have helped a vast number of patients to improve lipid profiles.

FWIW: I'm 54, been LC'ing for about a year, eat a diet that would have the AMA cringing, don't get regular aerobic exercise, eat stress for breakfast, snag the fatty trims of steak from my kids' plates, love me some full-fat blue-cheese dressing, etc., and here's my profile:
cholesterol: 180
hdl: 93
ldl: 77 ("verified by repeat analysis")
triglycerides: 52

Chances of dying by heart attack: less than 1%
Chances of dying: 100%

I didn't have the tests done before I started, so sorry, no basis for comparison. But at least there's evidence that this WOE will not, per se, result in scary numbers. I'd get my hands on everything Atkins had to say about blood chemistry. I also have heard that his clinic used to do remote consultations, but I know *nothing* else about that, so do your homework if you go that route. Remember that he was a cardiologist, and part of his intent with this was to help people get healthier.

Best to you.