PDA

View Full Version : First Post

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Suzien
Sun, Jul-12-09, 03:37
Hi, I seem to be losing half a lifetime researching calories vs low carbs. I came upon this fantastic forum yesterday and started reading. I haven't finished yet but I think it's time to join in.

I started researching because I was induced to buy the book The Harcombe Diet after reading about it in a magazine. It seemed to tick all the boxes because it allowed me to eat carbs (without fat) or Fats (with low carbs). A kind of mixture betwen Atkins et al and Food combining.

Having read it though I found it disappointingly woolly about the biological processes that made it work. I had been automatically enrolled in the club so I asked my many questions. The replies included one about ketosis. She replied that she didn't know much about it. This left me with little faith in her diet as I feel pretty sure that ketosis, the result of converting fat to usable energy (I think) would be the result of any weight loss program.

I am now on a mission to find the answers to my questions and this intelligent forum seems to me a good place to start.

I have been on Robert Atkin's diet before and, to be honest, although I enjoyed it at first I got sick of it and I found it difficult to live with when going out and about. Good quallity restaurants were fine but I got sick of eating breadless burgers and batterless fish when on the motorway or at a children's activity. I also felt a bit short of texture in my food. So I need some help this time to make it a lifestyle rather than a diet. I need to make this sustainable. Any help would be much appreciated (I admit I haven't looked at the recipes yet).

GlendaRC
Sun, Jul-12-09, 07:34
Welcome Suzien, and I highly recommend checking out the recipe sections. There's no reason to be bored with the food - there's tons of variety once you learn how to cook things to best advantage, and we have some wonderful cooks developing recipes here! And the LC Research & Media forum has some very informative threads - I don't always understand what I'm reading but I usually get some snippet of increased info from them.

Best wishes on your journey to a healthier, slimmer future.

Suzien
Sun, Jul-12-09, 23:58
Thanks for the advice. I actually spent most of yesterday browsing this site - another day lost to the PC!

I've looked at some recipes and yes, there's plenty to keep me going there; some of them seem pretty high carb though. The puds look great but at the moment, as a carb adict, I'm afraid to put anything sweet into my mouth. I remember last time I was desperately trying to make things taste like they used to on an ordinary diet. This time I'm just going to tell myself that I don't eat sweet things any more.