PDA

View Full Version : Selling Low carb items - retail - in Canada

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

numberonewendy
Tue, Apr-17-01, 22:27
Hi all,

Since I have been on this woe I am finding myself interested in getting information on selling low carb items.

Here in Orillia, there just doesn't seem to be any of these goodies around, I would love to enjoy some of these low carb items and make them available to folks who would love to try them too.

I am forever being phoned by folks..... they knowing I run a business here in town.... to get involved with selling health items, vitamins etc..but I never got involved as I am one to have to believe in something and get excited before taking a stand. Now this low carb is truly a wonderful experience and being on this woe and staying on this for the rest of my life, how can I not help others?

Being a small business owner causes me to think, "Hey why not provide this service in my area"? Let's face it not everyone is comfortable ordering online yet and I am one of them. Like to leave my visa alone until paid off!

My business now is a Service Business that I have been doing for six years now. I love being my own boss and making people's lives more enjoyable to live.

I'm afraid I have no clue on having a business with products to sell....I wonder if anyone of you can give me some kind of guidance as to where to go to get this information to see if this would be for me?

Would appreciate any replies on this subject.

Thanks, Wendy

tamarian
Wed, Apr-18-01, 07:53
Hi Wendy, I'm not the right person to answer this, since I lack the business sense, but here's my two centes :)

You need to do your market research, how many in your business area are potential customers, and the possibility of them buying these products from you. What percentage will find out about you, and what percentage of those are interested enough to drive by, and finally what percentage of those will buy. "Research" is just a fancy word or nosing around to find out the pulse of your customers.

Next step is business plan, never seen those, but Rachel can correct me here as I think she's done a few. Put down the numbers, how much will it cost you to get a stock from wholesalers, pay for shipping, storage, rent all expenses, and how much will you sell them for to be even, and then how much profit margin do you get.

Hope this helps

Wa'il

numberonewendy
Wed, Apr-18-01, 08:04
;)

Right on Wa'il. Been there done that with the business I am in right now. Lot's of work ahead of me!

I have just had a few brain storms this morning that excites me. Yet there is so much I must look into. Even some courses I should take, as retail is a puzzle to me and I plan to go to the outside world with this, not in the home!

While brainstorming and putting my plan into action. I just wondered if there was someone that could tell me where can I get my hands on these products?

At first I thought of distribution, like a kit or something to that effect, then I thought, oh to heck with that, I should think I would just have to order in bulk once I am ready?

Wendy is getting excited...a true entrepreneur is me :)

tamarian
Wed, Apr-18-01, 08:37
Here's something to start with if you're interested, Call the Ross Chocolate company in BC. Their toll-free number is in our shopping/manufacturer page, and Mr or Mrs. Ross will answer and go through their wholesale pricing structure with you I called him a couple of times to see who's selling what where and such.

Wa'il

numberonewendy
Wed, Apr-18-01, 09:34
Thanks Wa'il, your a peach. Just what I am looking for. Someone involved that can help me get started. One works well with net working as I found out with my business at present.

A mentor is a wonderful thing too :p

Wendy

numberonewendy
Sun, Apr-22-01, 01:58
:confused:

Hi again Wa'il,

I looked for the Ross's that you spoke about on the shopping page here and had no luck? Maybe I am not looking in the right area?

I have found a lady (Wendy) in Thunder Bay which is north of me that advertises in the Shopping Link for Ross Bar's. I emailed her, but not sure if I will get a reply, as I read a thread where Sharon mentions emailing her and not hearing from her.

I am interested in talking with the Ross's, could you put the link on your reply to me, since I am confused on not locating it for myself.

Thanks Wa'il, much appreciated

Wendy

tamarian
Sun, Apr-22-01, 07:32
Sure, here it is:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/store/manufacturers.html

1-877-955-2267
RR1 S14 C15
Chase BC V0E 1M0

numberonewendy
Sun, Apr-22-01, 07:50
:confused:

Wa'il,

Am I missing something?

I can't seem to find the Ross's?

:( Wendy

tamarian
Sun, Apr-22-01, 09:19
Yes, it seems their logo/picture is not clear, I should add a title to it, it doesn't say Ross Chocolate on it. But this is their toll-free number: 1-877-955-2267 , they don't have a web site.

Wa'il

numberonewendy
Sun, Apr-22-01, 16:12
:D

Thanks Wa'il,

I thought it was me...LOL

Wendy

Norma June
Tue, May-08-01, 07:10
Wendy, hi. Found your posts about your business. Kewl! :)

Check this one out, they're a didtributor:
http://www.excitingdrinks.com/

They sell diet Virgin Cola (which is made with Splenda & tastes wonderful). They also sell Jones Soda ... you could ask them if they can get Slim Jones Soda (made with Splenda). I've tried a few of the Slim Jones Sodas (Fu Fu Berry and two other ones, I forget which ones they are but they were wonderful). Virgin Cola has their own website too, I'm not sure of the URL but you can do a search by typing in Virgin Cola.

Also in the drink department you might want to try Diet Orange Crush and Diet Cream Soda from Orange Crush.

I'll put my thinking cap on for other products. If this is a store-front operation you are thinking about ... I for one would drive to Orillia and buy your stuff.

2much2g1
Fri, May-02-03, 07:17
I live in Grimsby and we dont have any products around here...I also have been toying with the idea of selling products but am afraid since we are such a small town, I wouldnt do much business.
Can anyone tell me how you would go about feeling out the market?
I think what you are doing is great and I wish you all the luck in the world!If I lived closer I would definitely be a customer.I am sure you will do well.I know exactly what you mean about being excited about something and I really belive that with that passion you will be a succes! :thup: :cheer:

ndelacourt
Fri, May-02-03, 22:51
If you could bring in soft drinks sweetened with splenda to Canada...I will order from you!!!

Diet Rite, Diet crush....I am still researching the others to find out more!

Thanks!
Natascha

ferrando
Sat, May-03-03, 00:02
Hi Wendy:

I've just started manufacturing a low carb bread 1.5 g/28 g serving. Plus a baking mix and next month will launch a pancake mix (just add water).

Island Girl (www.lowcarbcanada.com) represents Ferrando in Victoria, Lifestyles Market must have a huge low carb clientele because they move a lot of product. Another member of this board is trying to get the product going in Calgary.

We have a number of stores signed up in Vancouver now. We've just started shipping to Healthinorder up in Burns Lake, BC. Surprizing where pockets of us low carbers hang out.

You are welcome to send me an e-mail after you've reviewed my web site, the link is lower down.

Ferrando.

steph z
Sun, May-04-03, 17:49
Hi Wendy - I developed and operate Low Carb Food Depot Canada. Look up my email address and phone number at www.lowcarbfooddepot.com and we can chat.

I started LCFD because I could not find products in Canada - and yes, I prefer to shop in person. But if that mean traveling and wasting time and gas, Canada Post works instead for me.

I am not sure if there is a market for a local shop in your part of Ontario. Market research in this case is worth its weight in gold.

But lets chat

ferrando
Sun, May-04-03, 19:07
Hi Wendy:

Steph Z is right. You must do a market survey first.

The other thing you must do is be as knowledgeable as possible of the strict environment of food regulation in Canada.

This is probably much more important for a bricks and mortar store than for a web store. If you have product on your shelves that do not meet Canadian Food Inspection Agency requirements they can come in and seize your inventory.

The big rule for low carb products is that a reasonable portion may not be called low carb unless it has 2 g or fewer effective carbohydrates AND that effective carbohydrates represent less than 10% of the total.

They also expect that a low carbohydrate product will have no more calories per serving than a comparable product that has carbohydrates.

There are other regulations that may or may not be enforced such as French labelling.

Big issues with them are "claims" things like "prevents cancer" or "controls obesity." You have to a lot of evidence, I expect clinical to back this up. Since regulations in other countries are not as strict, you have to be careful with imported products. If you expect that a product is "marginal" in it labelling, ask the supplier for a contract to reimburse you for any product that might be seized.

A good starting place is:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/bureau/labeti/guide/guidee.shtml

I hope this helps and good luck.

Ferrando

IslandGirl
Sun, May-04-03, 22:24
Web Store OR Bricks (retail storefront walk-in), your inventory can be seized.

2much2g1
Mon, May-05-03, 07:51
Take look at www.carbsense.com
They have a number to call for wholesale...541-387-3330...9-5 pacific time.
Hope this helps!
:wave:2much