PDA

View Full Version : Starting again

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

eagles fan
Mon, Jul-06-09, 14:29
Hi all. :wave:
Just registered on this forum for a bit of support starting Atkins again. Back in June 2003 did Atkins for the first time - started at 257lb and got down to 199lb by the following March. Same old story though - carbs crept back in to my diet and here I am back at square one! So starting over - I have to say that I quite enjoyed Atkins first time around and am looking forward to it again. This time for good though! I think some of my downfall over the last 4 or so years has been drinking alcohol - wine, cider, beer etc - not to excess you understand - but apart from the carbs and calories it contains, it also lowers my willpower somewhat and makes those carby snacks more tempting. So no more of that for me. Looking forward to veggie stir frys, fish, chicken and salads. Wish me luck!

Kirsteen
Tue, Jul-07-09, 04:49
Welcome. :)

Some people here seem to be able to incorporate alcohol into their low-carb diets and still lose weight, but others, like me, find that it is a big problem. I cannot lose weight and touch alcohol - even a glass will cause a gain and subsequent stall for over a week. One glass of wine derails my weight-loss more than a bar of chocolate or sweet dessert, for some reason. I've gone cold turkey on alcohol now, and in all honesty, I seldom miss it. Very occasionally, a beer garden might call out to me on a sunny day, and sparkly water just doesn't have the same appeal, so I do regret not being able to sit under one of the parasols and indulge in a taste of summer.... but to me that is a small price to pay compared to all the rewards - freedom from feeling uncomfortable, unhealthy, unattractive and humiliated.. plus a hopefully healthier and happier future.

Good luck with your diet.

kathleen24
Thu, Jul-09-09, 23:23
Wishing you the best!

Sounds like you have a plan, and know what works for you. Now it's just keeping the focus on doing this a day at a time, and taking the time to re-read Atkins' chapters on pre-maintenance and maintenance when the time comes.

See you around the forum . . .