PDA

View Full Version : The Bet

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lyndahh75
Fri, Jul-03-09, 06:53
It all began with a bet. I am the type of person that fixates on diets. I always struggled with my weight. In my early twenties I did low fat and lost 95 pounds. It took little effort and I simply counted the fat grams. Another kid later and I am back up to too heavy. Ever since the birth of my last child, I dieted each way. Nutrisystem= too pricey, weight watchers - too many choices low fat- too hungry- low cal worked for a while.....and Atkins- too limited.

My husband has been getting tired of watching me fuss over my weight, as well as tired of me being so overweight. He said to me in april of this year, You can't stick to Atkins, you can't stick to ANY diet. I will tell you what, You try Atkins and when you fail, you have to go with me to a nudie bar. I said game on. If I did atkins for a month, he had to join me!

I did do it for the month...and of all the diets I tried, I felt good on this one. I had more energy, less mood swings and overall never felt deprived. I craved nothing, was getting to the point of not wanting to eat though...and this is why I opted off the diet in the end. I tried to then do low fat low cal. Each day I found myself hungry and shaking from low blood sugar even though I ate a full breakfast and snack. I found myself craving then binge eating. I have packed on the 17 pounds I lost on Atkins and growing. My mood swings are out of control and I feel crappy about myself. Despite the limited selections on the diet (sweets and goodies gone) This diet worked for me. My flaws with the last attempt were eating too few carbs....I kept it well below twenty....which eventually stalled me. Another flaw was getting on the scale each day. It is evil, it is wicked. It shows us things we need not see. I concluded that the scale is a good marker, diet a while, get on the scale but once a month to note progress. It is deceptive and each day everyone's weight fluctuates.

So today, I am back....and hopefully for good....

Gryfon
Fri, Jul-03-09, 10:19
Hi Lyndah!

Welcome! I know what you mean--I have been in the same place you are--have tried all sorts of things, and in the end find myself most comfortable with a low carb diet. AND I hate the scale--you are SO right, it IS evil! Fluctuations are a natural part of life, especially as a woman. Unfortunately, I am addicted to the daily weigh-in. I'm just trying not to let it dictate how I feel about myself. Welcome back!! --G