PDA

View Full Version : New Member from TN

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

BookMama
Wed, Jun-24-09, 08:24
Hi! I'm about to start a low-carb plan as recommended by my dietician. I go in tomorrow for my initial physical, and will begin the new plan next week.

Here's my story: When my DH and I began trying to conceive, I ate a lot for comfort, and gained seventy pounds. When I finally became pregnant, I put on seventy more. Since then, I've lost almost seventy-five pounds, but have what feels like a ways to go before I reach my pre-pregnancy weight of 128. I'm 195 as of today.

My DD turns one year next month, so I'd like to reach my goal by her second birthday.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and reading all the posts.

:D

Sarilas
Wed, Jun-24-09, 08:29
Welcome aboard! I'm new-ish myself, and also in Tennessee. I gained 80 pounds with my first child... 13 years ago!

I wish you all he best!

HealthyKel
Wed, Jun-24-09, 08:58
Hello BookMama and Lara...I am also from TN. :) You are the only others I've found on here from TN, so it's nice to "meet" you.

I have been LCing since January on my doctor's orders and have seen good results. Hope that you guys do, too.

We don't have any children yet (I have PCOS and have miscarried several times) but am doing this WOE in order to lose some weight to try and have a healthier pregnancy.

Glad to get to know you guys...

Sarilas
Wed, Jun-24-09, 12:20
Nice to 'meet' you too, Kelli! I don't find too many LC'ers in Nashville... most of my friends think I'm crazy, but I anticipate being able to prove them wrong in a few months when weight loss really becomes noticeable. Your stats are fantastic! Congratulations! And I'll keep you in my thoughts in hopes for a healthy pregnancy to come. You can have all of my healthy pregnancy mojo- I am DONE! lol

HealthyKel
Thu, Jun-25-09, 06:36
Thanks, Lara! I'll take your mojo and anyone else's, too...LOL ! :) We are hoping to start actively TTC after the new year when I WILL be closer to my goal weight.

I know what you mean about people thinking that you're off your rocker for doing this WOE. I don't think that a lot of southerners really understand it...I know I have taken a lot of flack about it here in Memphis, too. I had a pretty crappy food lifestyle before this...lots of carbs because that is what I was raised on. More than anyone my family hasn't understood this change. We are beans and cornbread, batter-fried chicken, corn on the cob, sweet tea and homemade cakes and ice cream kind of people. :) And as tasty as all that was (and boy, was it GOOD), it had to go. My mom and grandmothers have always been ones to cook like that and tell you to "clean your plate" and they don't really get Atkins at all...I'm always afraid that I'll hurt their feelings if I don't eat what they cook! :)

My doc was the one who really turned me on to LCing and wanting a child is what made it a HAVE-TO situation for me. I also have a friend who LC's as well and has lost 85 lbs...what an inspiration! I've also found the forum to be SO helpful when I need some encouragement...I have made some great "friends" on here who really keep me accountable. It is such a huge help!

Good luck to you Lara...I know you'll knock folk's socks off when they realize your LC, High FAT diet is working. Can't wait to hear your good results!

BookMama...where in TN are you? Hope your doctor's appointment went well and that you'll find yourself loving your new, healthier lifestyle...and that you'll see results soon. 75 lbs. is a dramatic loss...if you can do that without a LC WOE, just imagine what you will lose with it! You'll be at your goal in no time. Best of luck to you!

BookMama
Thu, Jun-25-09, 19:05
I'm in Nashville, too. ;) Thanks for all the welcomes.

The doctor's appointment went well, but I apparently won't have the full physical until the week after next. I'm getting ready to start my LC plan next week, however.

I'm definitely going to miss some of the foods that you mentioned, Kelli, and I also hope to show my friends the benefits of a LC diet with steady weight loss, Lara :)

Here's what I'm doing beginning next week:

B: 2 hardboiled eggs; 2 slices turkey bacon
L: 2 cups romaine; 1 cup chicken; 1T blue cheese; 3T blue cheese dressing
D: 1 serving roast or meat; serving cooked spinach with sprinkling of lemon and parmesan
Snack: 1/2 cup berries and 2T sugar-free whipped cream

What do you think? How about you guys?

babby218
Thu, Jun-25-09, 20:16
Hi All,

I just found this site tonight. I live in MN although right now if feels like the south; the temp is up and so is the humidity. I stumbled across LCing when I was 39 after trying everything to lose weight. I dropped 30 pounds and kept it off for 3.5 years. One day, I decided not to work out, and then another day went by and pretty soon I didn't visit the gym at all. AND the old carb cravings kicked in 'cause I was eating all of my trigger foods. I gained back about 20lbs of that weight.

Then one day my husband came home and told me he didn't want to be married to me anymore. Well, let me tell you THAT was quite the diet! I dropped weight so quickly it was scary. I was pretty thin; but after about ten months, a new boy toy, Thanksgiving, Christmas and hormonal birth-control I am now at about my top weight.

I don't like how I feel or look and have decided to get serious again. So, today I bought a scale (previously against my LC religion to own a scale) went grocery shopping and am determined to get out tomorrow before work and walk for 1/2 hour. I am hoping with the added support of this forum, I can get back into the swing of things and have my healthy self back.

By the way BookMama, I think your breakfast and lunch look great, but if it were me I would be adding some butter to the spinach and maybe adding some squash or string beans or something else. I know I would still be hungry. Oh, and have a snack in between B and L, something fatty like cheese or a spoonful of peanut butter. Just my suggestion...I should listen to my own advice!

Once of my biggest eating problems is the boy toy. He is a big guy and likes to eat! He also likes my curves. It is hard to eat around him because he still is big into all the stuff I shouldn't eat. Not sure how to stay away from the traps lurking in the restaurants, especially because we usually share each others food. Funny thing, over the last year he has lost weight; but I found it!! On my derrière!!

Ok, guess I wrote enough, probably too much. Good luck southern belles! Nanuk of the north is going to bed.

never2late
Thu, Jun-25-09, 20:29
Saw we had some new LCs from Tennessee. Welcome to the Low Carb Forum.

Sarilas
Fri, Jun-26-09, 07:02
I had my doctor's appointment yesterday too! I discovered that a) my Wii Fit scale is accurate to my doctor's scale (yeah!) and b) I'm 10 pounds heavier than November of 2007, my last appointment before this.

Ugh.

Are you satisfied with what you ate, BookMama? I know that when I'm on induction I am hungry all the time! I usually have sugar-free bacon and eggs for breakfast or an Atkins shake if my kids are having one of those days. Chicken on salad is a lunch fav of mine too! (I George Foreman a bunch of chicken in advance, freeze the cooked chicken in serving size ziplock baggies and take one or two out at a time to have available in the fridge. If I don't I get way lazy and forget to eat.)

For dinner I have another serving of chicken or beef or pork or whatever with some sauteed zucchini or fresh green beans, or a little faux mac 'n cheese (made with cauliflower).

My hunger level is really starting to drop, which is a good sign!

You might think about starting a journal, BookMama; it's a great place to record your doctor's visits, weigh ins, menus, rantings, ravings... I've got one and I get a lot of support from it. Very cathartic. lol

HealthyKel
Fri, Jun-26-09, 07:29
Hey there, Nanuk (aka Babby)! A big "howdy" from us southerners! :) I've been in a similar boat as you: my DH has NO health problems, weight problems, etc. and can eat just about anything with no adverse effects. (Don't you just want to smack him? I can just think about a sugary or starchy food and gain weight!) Since he loves me just as I am, fat and all, it has taken him some time to understand my motivations and reasonings behind doing this WOE. Our recent baby troubles brought things into focus for him, though and he has become incredibly supportive as we are working towards the same goal, just in different ways. I have started cooking LC all the time for both of us and if he wants pasta/potatoes/rice if fix ONLY enough for him. When we go out, I always get something LC, even if he doesn't, then I just have to resist temptation (and threaten him with death if he orders dessert! J/K! :D). Seriously, the longer I do this, the less the temptation is...and the penalty I pay for cheating is much worse than having something that I shouldn't to eat.

Thanks for the welcome, never2late. I've actually been on the forum for a few months now, but just joined the TN thread. It's going to be nice to have contact with others who know where I'm talking about, have similar stores and lifestyle habits, etc. since we are closer in proximity.

Glad your appointment went well, bookmama. Good for you for starting before you really "have to". Your meal plan looks pretty good to me...just make sure you are getting enough fat if you are going to follow the atkins plan. Are you going to do an induction phase or go straight to the OWL phase? Just asking because you might have a bit too much veg for induction and berries wouldn't be allowed in the first phase, either...I don't think. It's been a while since I strictly followed Dr. Atkins' plan since I had to modify it (with my MD) to prepare us for TTC.

Anyway, girls, hope that you all enjoy your new WOE...it has made a HUGE difference in the way that I feel and in my activity level. After I got through the "flu" symptoms of the first several weeks (and they were tough!), I've felt better and been more active than I have ever been in my life! And it's paying off...down 2 more pounds this week and FINALLY under 100 lbs. to lose!!! That is a HUGE deal for me. I know that most of you might have less to lose, but you'll feel the same way when you reach the mini-goals that you set for yourself. AND YOU WILL REACH THEM!! :)

Well, belles, I'm off to make an embarrasing amount of hard-boiled eggs. They are a standby for me when I want a snack...especially when I "devil" them (no sweet relish, of course). Also, we are having a family reunion this weekend in Jackson, TN (between Memphis and Nashville) and I'm taking those wonderful deviled eggs and some LC cole slaw (from a recipe I found on here...it is yummy!) and plenty of meat...I'm going to eat good!!

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!!

babby218
Sat, Jun-27-09, 06:38
I lightly stepped on the scale this morning and was down four pounds from Thursday night. I am sure the reading isn't really accurate as Thursday night I had on shorts and t-shirt and was bloated from the heat, etc... But, I definitely feel the difference already after only a week of paying attention to my food.

I made grilled shrimp with yellow and red peppers and sugar snap peas and had cantaloupe with it as a side. Wow was that tasty. I marinated the shrimp in a combination of lime juice, olive oil, garlic, sea salt, green onions, and my favorite seasoning ground chipolte pepper (lots of it). I sliced the peppers added the peas, sprayed the veggies with a little oil and threw them in the grill pan on the charcoal grill. Cooked them a little and then added the marinated shrimp and cooked until pink. Served with the sweet melon, the spicy shrimp contrasted and complemented well.

I cheated a little bit last night and made myself a cocktail, what I call cheap bloody marys. 6oz beer, 6oz spicy V-8 and one pickle and about 1 tbs pickle juice. Its cold and refreshing and makes me feel less deprived.

Ok, 'nough about food. It is raining here, which does not bode well for our plans to go to the zoo with my grand-daughter and nephew. I guess I will have to find alternative entertainment for the dear one. Shopping? Do you think a 19 month old girl is to young to spend her day with Nana shopping? Hmmmm........ maybe playdough would be more fun for her.

By the by Kelli, those deviled eggs are calling my name! You have inspired me to make up a bunch for my rained out picnic. (now we will eat them at home)

Ok, well belles, thanks for listening... have a good day and we CAN do this (again for some of us).

BookMama
Sat, Jun-27-09, 08:49
Good to know about the berries! Thx! I will definitely modify things. I am a former vegetarian/vegan, so this is a BIG difference for me. I was vegetarian simply because it was easier for me to cook and maintain that sort of lifestyle, but now that I'm married and a mama, I strive for more balanced meals for the family (for myself, I'm interested in weight loss!!).

It's been hard to eat so much meat and protein - I sometimes struggle to get it down. I've never been a big egg person, so that is a new thing for me, too.

HealthyKel
Mon, Jun-29-09, 08:54
Happy Monday, Belles!

Sorry that your doc's visit didn't go exactly as you wanted it to, Lara. But never fear...you're on the right road now. :) You're right about the hunger thing...it's a great thing that it's beginning to drop. It will get even better the longer that you do this...your body resets itself and it will get easier and easier (at least it did for me).

I understand what you mean, bookmama. Before starting LC, I rarely ate eggs at all. I still don't really care for them unless I make those deviled eggs that I mentioned before, but sometimes, especially on a day that I know that my protein is low or that my carbs are approaching my "danger zone", I have them anyway. Scrambled with lots and lots of cheese is what I usually go to on those days. Nuts are a pretty good source of protein, too...and after you get through induction they aren't quite as restricted. A handful of almonds is a great snack. For other high protein ideas, you should search the forum...there are some folks on here who do a vegetarian form of atkins, too. Maybe they'll have some ideas about protein that will fit better with your previous lifestyle.

I think that you and Lara might be eating a few more veggies than I do on most days...I say do whatever works for you and do something that you can live with.

Babby...your shrimp recipe sounds yummy! Too bad I couldn't enjoy it...I'm allergic to shellfish. If you're feeling deprived of your cocktails, Baja Bob's makes several LC mixers and starters that might come in handy for you once you get past the first few weeks. You can also google something like "carb count in alcohol" for some other ideas without having to purchase mixers. Because of the meds I take, I can't drink anymore but my sis, who is also LCing, really likes some of the Baja Bob mixers. Maybe they would work for you too. Hope that you had a fun weekend with your granddaughter. :)

I'm off to tackle the massive piles of laundry that have accumulated here over the weekend. I swear...it multiplies by itself overnight...kinda like Gremlins. :)

Sarilas
Tue, Jun-30-09, 06:48
You know what, I think I just might be eating TOO much veg. It's hard to reset my brain to focus on protein, but I need to do it. In fact I think I need to re-read DANDR and reset my whole brain altogether!

mainecyn
Tue, Jun-30-09, 11:15
Welcome to the board. I can understand what your going thru. I gained 80 lbs when I was pregnant with my daughter, and i was large to begin with. I hadn't even lost all the baby weight when i got pregnant again with my son. By the time I got dow to the weight i was when I was pregnant with my daughter i was devistated. I have done atkins in the past, this first time I lost 80 lbs and it was wonderful and easy to do. That was prob. about 5 years ago. I'm amost done losing, restarted atkins in novemeber. Its hard to make yourself eat the protien at times, i wasn't a large meat eater either.

babby218
Wed, Jul-01-09, 06:45
Good morning belles! After a weekend of so-so eating, I am hesitant to get on the scale. I think I too need to dig out the old book DANDR and really stick to the induction. AND I need to incorporate some exercise. I don't understand how something that was just a part of my life for four years could be so difficult now.
I used to get up at 5:45 go to the pool with a coffee in my hand (in my pajamas no less) and swim a mile and a third. Then, I worked an 8 hour job and came home to study. The next day I would study before work and ride my horse in the evening. On weekends, I would be in the yard, with the horses, studying etc. And all this with three high school kids. Now it seems like all I can get done is the laundry and work! Am I lacking motivation?

Has anyone here figured out a way other than sheer will power to get their bodies in motion? I have set a goal to run a 5K with my girlfriend next summer, in hopes that it will motivate me to exercise. Any suggestions? For me exercise is an important part of losing/maintaining my weight and staying mentally healthy.

Well it is off to work for me, have to go make my eggs for breakfast now. Eggs are one of my favorite in fast foods. argghhhh which reminds me .... fast food... I thought I would be doing ok if I got McDonalds Select chicken strips to eat on my way home? DON'T they are heavily breaded! Tasty, but definitely not what I should have had. (Um and the french fries on the side didn't help)

Have a good day all...
Babby

HealthyKel
Wed, Jul-01-09, 16:14
Just say "NO" to french fries, babby! :)

I, too, have to refocus myself sometimes...life just gets busy and I find myself wanting to reach for something easy that might or might not be LC. To keep this at a minimum, I try to keep as much refined/white/starchy stuff out of my pantry as possible. Having others in my home who don't LC, it isn't always easy but still, I try. Having plenty of LC snacks around helps, too. I try to take a snack from home, too, if I know I'm going to be out for a while (almonds, an Atkins bar or my new favorite, pumpkin seeds...1/3 cup for 2 carbs). Next time you do fast food on the way home, try this: order 2 jr. type burgers (or 4 if you're super hungry...all I can do is 2) and pull over in the parking lot long enough to modify them. Open both burgers, remove the buns AND THROW THEM AWAY :), face the sandwiches together (using the actual patties...or lettuce, if it comes with it...where the bread used to be) and re-wrap it in the paper it came in. It only takes a minute and is absolutely LC. I find myself doing this A LOT, especially on busy days. Maybe that will help you stay LC while being quick and easy (and yummy of course...who doesn't love the Golden Arches!?).

I also need help on the exercise front, girls. I AM SO LAZY!! I have been trying to walk but the extreme heat mixed with all my fat just isn't working well for me right now. In the past I've done some workout tapes, too, but I'm kinda burned out right now. I'd love to have some equipment (like an eliptical machine or a treadmill) but it's just not in the budget right now. SOOO...I guess I should just get off my duff and MAKE myself do it. I DO mow my lawn and work in the yard (my hubby loves that!) each week to get some exercise and purposely park really far away from the door when I'm out shopping but it's not enough. Guess I'm going to have to get that old willpower out and put it to work. Any of you have specific things that you do that are giving you good results?

Sarilas
Thu, Jul-02-09, 05:47
Using only my Wii Fit as a scale has helped on the exercise front. If I'm going to bother to get it out and set it up I might as well hula hoop or do some stepping while I'm there! lol

Fast food... the worst! I avoid it like the plague right now, but if my husband insists on stopping for something I try to insist in return that we go to Hardee's (Carl's Jr. on the West coast). They do a low carb burger wrapped in lettuce- win win!

HealthyKel
Thu, Jul-02-09, 08:59
Back Yard Burgers (if you guys have that) also have a LC burger done the same way...or order your burger with extra lettuce at places like Wendy's. I've tried it ALL to find LC fast food, LOL! :)

babby218
Thu, Jul-02-09, 17:33
The only backyard burgers around here are at the neighbors house! lol Really though, throwing away the bun makes more sense than beating myself up for eating something I shouldn't be. Any good substitutes for french fries?

Ok, well I am going to go outside and mow the yard for 1/2 hour, that will be my exercise for the day. And I am going to do it in pajama bottoms and an old t-shirt. That should get the neighbors talking.

I am finally settling in this week to proper LC eating, I am dreading the 4th of July, as I know it will entail no-no dining. Sunday won't be much better either; I will be at my mom's and I know she will have pie for us or something else equally disastrous to the WOL

HealthyKel
Mon, Jul-06-09, 08:24
Morning, Belles...

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend! We did lots of grilling and firework watching...and not much else! :) I did manage to get in a couple of long walks with the hubby, which was nice and hopefully had a part in my 3 pound weight loss last week. :) That makes 68 lbs. total...hoping to reach 70 next week.

Here's to a great week ahead! Hope you all see the scales move down!

HealthyKel
Mon, Jul-06-09, 08:27
Oh, and babby...I haven't found ANYTHING that compares to french fries. I WISH!! Once you get further into your weight loss, like the pre-maintenance phase, I think, you can have sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes fries are yummy...they have them at some "sit-down" type restaurants here, like O'Charleys. Nice for a treat now and then, but still not something to have very often. :)

babby218
Mon, Jul-06-09, 16:12
I had lost 40 pounds in a previous life on LC (atkins style)and maintained it for four years, so I pretty much have the idea... I was just hoping someone out there had the answer to McDonald french fries. But, if it means my clothes will fit again, and I can move without reverberation; then I will not complain and stay away from the french fries.

I did end up having a bad eating weekend, but only for Saturday and Sunday. I made a lovely tuna steak-salad Friday night for me and the boy toy. He loved it and wants me to make it again. So, today I am back on the wagon and this morning the BT told me he can tell a difference in my weight already. Not sure that he isn't full of bologna, but I will take every little encouragement I can get!

Little sleep and lots of physical activity this weekend makes me extremely tired. So tonight, it is a bowl of edemame for supper and then to bed to get a solid 8 and then some. I am not good at staying healthy when I stray from my bedtime.

I bought a new (used) car this weekend, a Mini Cooper! Got a good deal. I think the excitement of that is finally wearing off and is contributing to my crash.

Congrats on the weight loss Kelli! Can't wait until I can post a loss like yours.

Babby

HealthyKel
Fri, Jul-24-09, 09:19
Happy Friday, Belles....it's been a while! :)

We just returned from vacation and I was just checking in to see how everyone is doing. Hope you're all doing well...give me some updates.

I did pretty well with eating right while we were away. I did cheat a little (the first time in several months!) and didn't exercise nearly as much as I am used to while we were gone...and I'm paying for it now! Gained 2.5 pounds! GAG. So, I'm back on STRICT induction for a few weeks along with my exercise regimen. Gotta get those sneaky jokers back off! :)

I'm sure you're all doing great...looking forward to hearing back from you all. Have a wonderful weekend!

babby218
Mon, Jul-27-09, 17:59
Hello Belles, Nanuk here...

I don't know how i did it, but I actually maintained my weight this weekend. :) I am getting tired of dropping weight during the week and then picking it up again on the weekend. Maybe tomorrow I will be even thinner!

I found a great snack to help with the crunchy munchies. High in protein and fat and low in carbs; pumpkin seeds! Great to toss on a salad or mix with cream cheese as a spread for low carb tortillas or celery.

I went rummage sale shopping on Saturday for a few hours with my daughter and sister and snagged a few good items. I am currently on the hunt for objects I can use in place of "art". I decided I can't buy the real thing so I am going to create my own.

Cheap and creative! I found some really cool vintage placemats from Montreal that had never been used. Now they will become wall hangings. Found three floating shelves that normally cost $45 a peice in Pottery Barn for $2 a piece; after painting and putty they will hold photos on my living room wall. Next weekend I am off to the second hand stores to find an assortment of picture frames. I plan on painting them black and hanging them without any pictures in them in some cool geometric pattern. Should be fun!

I am glad to see you posting Kelli, I was afraid the site had been abandoned! Ok, well off to slice and dice some lovely strawberries and get them to the freezer. I foolishly went grocery shopping while hungry and ended up buying ten pounds of strawberries!! No way could I possibly eat all those before they go bad.

Before I go here is an easy Turkey burger recipe. one pound ground turkey, zest of one large lemon, table spoon of chicken grill seasoning, handful of chopped green onion, and small handful of chopped cilantro (more cilantro if you like it less if you don't). Mix it all together, form into patties and throw on the grill, broil or George Forman it (I like George the best, so quick). Then use the juice of the lemon with oh, about 1/2 cup mayonaise and a teaspoon or so of ground chipotle pepper; mix it all together and it makes an awesome topping for the burgers. No buns needed, it tastes so good!!

All for now, have a great week!

Babby

HealthyKel
Tue, Jul-28-09, 08:28
Yup, Babby...I'm still here! :) Don't know how everyone else is doing but I trust they're doing okay. Summertime is SO busy for most people and in my experience, they're just too busy to spend much time on the computer. It's the same story on all the threads that I regularly post on.

Your turkey burger sounds yummy...we'll have to try that soon. My DH is a huge fan of burgers of any kind so I'm sure it will be a hit!

Glad to know that you maintained over the weekend! Good for you. I had the same issue when I first got started but it did level out after a while...and once I buckled down and watched my weekend eating habits better. Thankfully, I am back to where I began weightwise BEFORE vacation...induction works! :) And I still have all week to lose a bit more.

Sounds like you hit the jackpot while shopping. I love to go to antique/secondhand/thrift shops and see what treasures I can unearth. You never know what you'll find! Good luck on your treasure hunting. And I hope you enjoyed those strawberries. :)

See you later!

babby218
Wed, Jul-29-09, 18:00
I am sitting here eating a bowl of strawberries, kiwi and cantaloupe after just finishing a cheeseburger (no bun) and some edible pod peas. Probably more carbs than I need, but tasty all the same.

Flubbed up big time last night. I went with my sister and we ended up at Culvers eating burgers and fries, finishing it up with a frozen custard! Argggh. But even with that my jeans are fitting less snug today. Hopefully all the walking we did balanced out the eating. Today back on the band wagon.

Took a short walk tonight. I am going to check my e-mail, do some laundry and put up some shelves in my office. I have been in my house for five months now and still have boxes to unpack. It seems like there is something going on every weekend with family or the boy-toy. Think I will have to take a couple of days off sometime this summer just to get organized.

I am going to try to make sugar free choke cherry jelly this week. I will use pear juice and truvia to sweeten it. Still carb ridden, but not so bad. Truvia is my new friend. It has more of the taste and texture of sugar, but still a bit of an aftertaste if you use too much. It is made from Stevia and an alcohol sugar. I have in the past had trouble with stalling on my weight loss when eating sugar alcohols; but it doesn't seem to be bothering me this go around. I will have to keep an eye on it. I am going to try to make homemade ice cream with it too; hard to find low carb ice cream in the store.

Ok, enough for now; hope everyone is healthy, happy and a day closer to a size 8.

Babby

HealthyKel
Fri, Aug-07-09, 12:27
Hi, Ladies...

Hope everyone is doing well. Sorry I've been AWOL lately...just too much to do and not enough time to get it all done. :) I'm organizing my time a bit better now and so I'll try to post more often.

How did that jelly turn out Babby? It sounds yummy. I'm planning to try the Truvia soon...it's actually on my grocery list right now to be picked up next time that I shop. As for the LC ice cream, here they have a Breyer's CarbSmart brand in the grocery stores...chocolate or vanilla...at 4 carbs per 1/2c. serving. It's pretty good in a fix but is full of fake stuff...your homemade would be much better. If the truvia works out for you in the ice cream, pass the recipe along, would you?

Update your posts, ladies and tell us how you're doing. How are things in your neck of the woods (besides HOT!!)? Looking forward to hearing from you! :)

Happy Friday! Have a good weekend!

babby218
Sun, Aug-09-09, 06:59
Good Morning!
My scale has finally decided to start budging! It has taken some serious LCing to do so though. Pretty much down to meat and eggs and salad greens! Pretty sure I was in ketosis Friday. Lost some headway on Friday night when I had two small pieces of pizza and again yesterday when my sister in law brought coconut creme pie for dessert. Back on the wagon today.

I live in a small town and only shop at the larger grocery stores once a month or so. Finding lo-carb ice cream when I am looking for something sweet requires a drive; I am hoping having a "real" ice cream recipe I can whip up at home will help. I will share the recipe if it turns out! As for the jelly, um yeah. The chokecherries are still in my refrigerator shriveling up as I type. I keep saying tomorrow; but tomorrow never gets here! But seriously I have to get the juice made this week. I can freeze that and use it anytime to make the jelly.

I sat around a bon fire with my neighbors last night drinking rum and diet coke. It was fun letting the neighbor try to guess my age! He realizes there is an age difference between the boy-toy and myself but can't quite figure out how much. I am not volunteering the information. It was an enjoyable evening. I feel pretty polluted this am but much relaxed. So lots of water and lovely garden veggies today.

I think perhaps Kelli this thread is disintegrating down to you and me! Maybe we should do multiple posts a day and barrage everyone's e-mail boxes until they look to see what's happening!

Later,
Babby

HealthyKel
Mon, Aug-10-09, 14:15
LOL...I'm sure that people will filter back in a bit here and there as their summer winds down and real life gets back into swing full force. :) It's okay with me, though, with way. I enjoy talking to EVERYONE, even if it is just you and me, Babby. Or if you'd rather, you can join another thread. I am on others that are more active if you'd like to move over with us. Let me know and I'll send you the thread.

Glad to hear that your scale has started moving down! I think that seeing those numbers go down is the BEST motivation of all. I was down 2 lbs. last week, so that's 73 lbs. total since January...but this week I probably won't be so lucky. My monthly visitor, dear Aunt Flo, arrived yesterday and she always brings some water weight with her. I guess we'll see on Friday how bad the damage is. :) I've been eating very low carb and drinking A LOT of water during those times and most of time, it keeps me from gaining. Hope that's the case this week.

Hope you have a good week, Babby, and anyone else who might drop by. :) Take care and good luck this week!

Hutch7
Tue, Aug-11-09, 09:32
Hi, I'm new here too but it's good to see people from Tennessee here! I'm in Lafayette, a very small town about 45 minutes from Nashville. Everybody knows everybody, which makes it worse when ya gained 40 pounds!! Born & raised here and grew up eating all Momma's good food, she always wants ya to eat more lol. Anyway, good luck to everybody!!

HealthyKel
Tue, Aug-11-09, 11:04
Hey, Hutch!! Welcome! I'm so glad that you found us. :)

There are a few others on the thread that have taken a bit of a break over the summer it seems but I'm sure things will pick up again soon. They are mostly in the Nashville area, too. I have been exactly where you are...southern mama's always teach you to clean your plate...and then have some more! I also grew up in a small town (near Memphis) and everyone knew and TALKED ABOUT everyone else...and of course, weight was a great gossip topic...still is, I guess. You'll just have them talking about how good you look and how much weight you've lost! :)

Best of luck to you on your journey! Let us know if we can help you in any way. Can't wait to see your progress!

HealthyKel
Wed, Aug-19-09, 08:33
Hey Ladies...

Just bumping the thread to see if any of you are still out there. :)

I've been super busy the past week or so and haven't been online much. Hope you're all doing well. Let me know what's new with you.