PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hyzenthlay
Mon, Jun-22-09, 06:03
Hello. I am a type 2 diabetic and my morning glucoses were out of control due to liver dumping. I figured if I depleted my glycogen stores I would be able to have a decent morning blood sugar. After a week of extremely limited carb intake, sure enough, I had a 125 blood sugar this morning. I had to eyeball my glocometer (a la Larry David) a little crazy because I was so shocked. Holy Cow, it worked. Not only that, I was able to handle the few extra carbs I allowed myself this weekend, like half an apple and a little melon. Usually these foods would send my blood sugar soaring to 200, but I maintained control and I finally do not feel so damn defeated.
The glycemic index is crap for me because I dont have a secondary insulin response, so I can eat a low index food and wait two hours instead of instantly to have my blood sugar spike. Diabetes rocks.
But I think the occassional piece of friut, which is what I miss the most, will be fine as long as I can keep my glycogen stores at zero. I spoke with my doctor about it, and he says as long as I dont stay in ketosis too long during the day, he is fine with it. But since ketosis is the only way to be sure my glycogen stores are depleted, I have to be in that state for a good long minute to be sure.
Anyway, its nice to find this site, and maybe I can just find the motivation to suck it up and drive on when it gets too hard.
It is this or a bullet in the head, because I need to protect my kidneys. Amputation I can handle, and even going blind, but I would rather be hit by a meteor from the heavens than to suffer dialysis. That would be casting me into hell as the living dead.

dblewis196
Mon, Jun-22-09, 07:50
I too am diabetic and finding that my sugar levels are perfect in just under 2 weeks. Loving the fact that I may one day be able to stop taking the meds. Good luck and welcome to the forum!