PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks 10 lbs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bobbyNC
Sat, Jun-20-09, 08:09
In the mid 90's when the Atkins diet first was introduced to consumers, i was a young male teen, 5ft8, about 183lbs. I went on the low carb diet at that time for about 4 months, dropped my weight to 155lbs. For whatever reason, i fell off the band wagon, im guessing at the time i reached my goal of 155 and figured i no longer needed to be on the low carb diet. Little did i realize this was NOT a diet, rather, a lifestyle change in eating habbits. i am now 36, and over the past 3 years, i have put some weight back on. 2 weeks ago today, i weighed myself, havent done that in about 8 months or more. i was SHOCKED to see that i had climbed to 179lbs.

At that point, i vowed i would NOT surpass the 180lb mark. Over the past couple years when i started notcing slight weight gain over the months and especially around the holidays, i would constantly try and convince myself "go back on the low carbs/high protein, it worked before, it can again", that worked for a couple of days, but being around all my VERY THIN relatives/friends/roomates etc eating all they want, all the candy and sweets they desired, i just couldnt keep with the diet ( or low carb plan)..

Again, two weeks ago, is when i said i will NOT allow myself again, to pass 180lbs and i have stuck with it hard core since and have dropped 10lbs. my bmi went from 30 to 22 ( normal) now.

What i eat is basically what i did in the early 90s when i started which is realy great for me, allthough my biggest love of food/desire is breads and potatos.

what i eat:
I usually get loaf breads, all grain low carb , Merita makes a great whole wheat with 9 net carbs per slice. I love bacon and cheese..for morning breakfast or lunch ( i dont do both, i usually eat this for breakfast or hold off and eat it around lunchtime but not both for me), I'll eat a bacon and cheese sandwich. Sometimes adding a scrambled egg.

mid day- guess you can call it a very late lunch or very early dinner, I'll eat me a turkey, bacon, cheese sandwich with a dab of yellow mustard..

I usually go to bed around 10:30 pm, if i get a hunger craving before going to bed, AND THATS OFTEN LOL, ill make me a grilled cheese sandwich.

with that meal plan being said- that is the majority of my days. it works for me because i LOVE bacon/cheese and turkey..but often, i will during the day swing by subway's and get me a tuna salad with cheese and a little oil/vinegar spritzed on it. As well, If i get the mood or a craving for something fast food, I will swing by TacoBell's and get me a Taco Salad with ONLY the lettuce, beef ( extra beef) the shredded cheese and have them add some nacho cheese sauce to it. as you can tell, i love cheese lol..

with all this being said: before the critics start yelling. this is NOT advice to everyone or meant to be taken as healthy. truth is, i dont know, all i know is what has worked for me best. the one thing i do hate and is a big turn off for me, is to go somewhere, like tacobelll and guess, research the calories for the salad, the cheese, beef etc etc etc..all im trying to do is "limit" the carbs and increase the proteins and again, it has worked thus far for me...

I also do not strict myself completly off fast food or sweets. on the weekends, ill pic saturday or sunday to splurge a little. NOT OVER BOARD but splurge some..i may just go to a local micky D's for a bigMac and or fries, if not, then ill get me a bakery item from the local grocery store or some ice cream. and it works for me because during the week, at work, it gives me something to look forward to for the weekend.

If i happen to be out with friends or at the mall, of course the food courts are candy shopping for me haha..i may swing by a pizza joint ( pizza being my alltime fav food, only pepperoni that is ) i may get a pepperoni pizza ( extra pepperoni) and just eat the toppings off the pizza crust. yes the sauce will still have carbs, but is better than the alternative, the WHOLE pizza/or slice..

But , for now, this is my story, this is what im hoping will be the norm. Wish me look everyone. my goal is back to 155lbs. Going to Ft. Lauderdale next month on the 18th ( month from today) im going to do my darndest to get as low as i can by then and keeping it off.

Good luck everyone.

Kirsteen
Tue, Jun-23-09, 09:57
Hi there, thanks for your friendly introduction. Welcome to the forum. It's great that you're losing the weight, sticking with your goals, while enjoying eating in a way which suits you and your lifestyle. Not everyone here is ultra-low carb.. some - like you - are moderately low-carb. If you're losing weight, then it's low enough for you. :D I eat a lower carb diet, and started to eat a lot more fish - I've never eaten so well. It's so quick and delicious. I don't eat any bread substitutes, but recently I tried a very quick recipe for flax bread which turned out great, so I've sliced and frozen it for the occasional day when I really need a change for breakfast.

Keep up the good progress, and hope to bump into you again. Bye for now.

bobbyNC
Wed, Jun-24-09, 07:24
yea, typically i wouldnt want to eliminate "all carbs" for the fact that some carbs are good for you. Im not no where NEAR being obese thus me using carbs in moderation. i typically use the recomended carb intake for my body weight and my goal weight.. as far as breads go, there are good breads and bad breads. If you still to a whole wheat/grain that is low in carb you are doing great. Im at work right now and cannot remember the bread i have at home but its whole wheat and only 8 carbs per slice. something to keep in mind also is: eating foods rich in grains and wheat help keep the hunger cravings down, and trust me THEY REALY DO..it take the body longer to digest and break down whole wheat and grains thus keeping you satisfied longer as apposed to refined white bread that is loaded in carbs.