PDA

View Full Version : introduction

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

uncle-buck
Wed, Jun-17-09, 10:32
Hi there,

I'm a 53 yr. old man and I'm on this forum to learn about eating healthier. My body apparently has an imbalance of intestinal flora (gut dysbiosis) that was caused by taking antibiotics over the years.

The tipping point came last summer when I took Augmentin for an eye infection and contracted a c. diff. infection that was successfully treated with Flagyl. But my GI tract hasn't been the same since then.

I think I have either a yeast overgrowth or a small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO).

In any case, drinking sodas and eating sugars, cookies, and other refined carbs makes me feel terrible. I feel much better on a diet that consists primarily of fresh or steamed vegetables, fish, poultry, and meat.

I've had some fairly comprehensive food allergy and digestive function testing that indicates I don't have Celiac disease or any type of gluten, dairy, or meat intolerance. Just some minor food and spice intolerances and low levels of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria. Stool testing showed no clinically significant amounts of yeast or fungi, but the doc said that it's still possible I have a Candida or other yeast overgrowth.

I am currently supplementing with a potent probiotic called VSL#3 and have asked my doctor for an anti-fungal drug called Nystatin. And I plan to have a lactulose breath test to help determine whether or not I have SIBO.

So, thanks for any feedback and I'm looking forward to contributing to the discussion on this forum.

uncle-buck

Samantha22
Wed, Jun-17-09, 12:19
Welcome!
You have certainly come to a wonderful place.
Start yourself a journal, and keep track of what you eat and how you feel....plus it's a wonderful way to meet new people here and get support!
My journal is always open!
Best of luck!