PDA

View Full Version : Stomach acid and urine ph conundrum!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Antidote
Mon, Jun-15-09, 00:11
Can anyone explain this? I have been diagnosed with excess stomach acid (purely on the basis of symptoms rather than specific tests). My own test with ph paper shows that my urine is frequently on the alkaline side! When I take omeprazole to reduce my acid production my urine indicates an increase in acidity! Anybody know what is going on? Many thanks.

Kirsteen
Mon, Jun-15-09, 16:19
Hi there, and welcome to the forum. This area is just for new members to introduce themselves, and the number of people who read it is quite low. You'd have a higher chance of getting an answer if you ask your question in this area of the forum:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110

I personally don't know the answer to your question, but stomach acid is produced as part of the digestive process, while the urine is created in a different part of the body, hence the difference in the ph balance. Omeprazole seemingly inhibits the production of stomach acid, so it won't necessarily render the ph balance of your urine more alkaline..