PDA

View Full Version : Greetings, Earthlings.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

The Susie
Fri, Jun-12-09, 21:34
Hi!

I've lost 40 lbs on Atkins in the past and gained it all back, partly due to being comfortable in a relationship and mostly due to my PCOS. I gained it all back and then some. I've been so miserable. Kept telling myself I have to go back on, but it's been so hard. Finally, my bf, who used to be buff, and I decided that we're going to just do it already.

We started May 8, 2009 and have been doing GREAT. After the first weekend, we weren't tempted to cheat at all, and we have not. We're both very familiar with the whole low-carb thing; it was just a matter of doing it, you know?

I've lost about 18 lbs. It varies. My scale sucks and we don't have the money to buy a new one. We weigh ourselves different places. I can definitely see his belly going down. He's lost 20 lbs, maybe more. Seems so much easier for guys. My pants are looser but I want them falling-off-looser. I want to be in the jeans I wore when I met him, and then I want to be way smaller than even that, because that was still a size 14. I want to be in the single digits. That has always been a goal of mine because I haven't been since I was a tween.

I look at skinny girls and wonder how there's room for all those organs in there.

Only good thing about my figure is that I have the good old hour-glass shape. I know if I lose this belly, I'll look good. I can't wait, you know? I'm so excited to be doing this. We both feel so much better already. Used to take naps everyday; now we don't. I believe I'd have lost more if not for the birth control pills I need to take for my PCOS. There is no question of me stopping those.

I've also started walking with my dog, over a mile, and I take at least one brisk 15 minute walk at work. I hope this is effective. I hate the thought of working out in a gym. I bought a bike today on craigslist and look forward to getting into that; I loved it as a kid.

I just want somewhere to talk about this stuff. My friends can't relate. It's great to have my BF to talk to. Not sure I could do it again without him. I hope this is a good place for me!

Thanks for reading.

sassiegirl
Fri, Jun-12-09, 21:57
welcome. it could have been me writing that!
Any help you need just ask, and good luck.
sassie

Hismouse
Fri, Jun-12-09, 22:26
Hi Susie, you can always find somene here to understand, there is wonderful people on here.
Make yourself a Journal and get started, visit journal and we can visit and support you:)
It is wonderful that you have your BF to do this along side you:)
And yes as alot of things in life Men have it easier:)
But we as women understand that and stick together and support one another:)
So get cozy, and keep up the great effort and you will make it to where you want. You know this has to be a lifestyle change, or it will come back faster then ever before, I have been there, and I know others that have had to come to the same grips as I have.
So welcome:)

The Susie
Fri, Jun-12-09, 23:08
Thank you for the welcomes, and wow! At the top it says I am 19% to my goal. I have never thought about it that way and it's pretty exciting. I went out and told my boyfriend and he was happy, too.

Kirsteen
Sat, Jun-13-09, 02:13
Hi there,

You're doing so well. It is so exciting to see the progress towards the goal. I could hardly believe it when I hit the half-way mark... it felt miraculous. I hope you'll meet nice friends here to share your journey..

Bye for now

corsair915
Sat, Jun-13-09, 15:08
Hi Susie, and congrats to you and your BF for making this huge positive step towards a healthy life. It's great to have someone there to share the commitment with.
I'm an MD as well as a low carb eater (yes, there are quite a few doctors who highly support this lifestyle!). I can tell you that obesity and PCOS go together like itch and scratch. You can have one without the other, but almost every woman with PCOS is overweight or obese. We're not sure whether it is the cause or the result of PCOS but there are few wmoen with PCOS who are thin. So, keep in mind that all these positive changes are for your health now and for the rest of your life, regardless of how you look in your jeans. Of course you want to look great as well as feel great and you will. You are really lucky that you have someone who loves you for whatever you are in your journey and is walking the path beside you.
Good luck and best wishes! And if you think of it, let me know if the PCOS improves as you get closer to your goal.

The Susie
Sun, Jun-14-09, 13:50
Thanks, corsair. Seems PCOS is very common but so few people have heard about it or understand it. It was hard to find a doctor who could actually help me, and I'm so glad I found one at The Cleveland Clinic!

corsair915
Mon, Jun-15-09, 13:26
Oh, that's a great place! You'll get excellent care there.
Keep us updated on your progress!

kathleen24
Tue, Jun-16-09, 00:33
Just want to join in the chorus welcoming you, wishing you the best. Kirsteen's term `miraculous' feels about right. After hitting that invisible wall a thousand times, comes a time you step right through, and then there is no stopping you. Just make the commitment that you are in it for the long haul--I think it's easier if you just go for it and don't deviate.

Someone in a journal made the somewhat indelicate but way-funny observation that she figured the male . . . hmm . . . *accoutrement* was actually a faucet that could be used to empty the beer belly at will . . . .

It's a delight to have you both here, and I wish you every success. Remember to hang in there no matter what--it's so worth it.