PDA

View Full Version : addicted to potato chips

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tranquill
Wed, May-27-09, 13:33
seriously, quitting smoking was easier than quitting chips. even when i'm in ketosis and dont have the hunger thing, i just want those crunchy salty chips. it sucks and i keep sabotaging myself with this

:help: :help: :help:

serenity77
Wed, May-27-09, 13:41
i hear you there! i love love love potato chips...especially the tims crunchy one's (spicy thai are my favorite) and dipped in sour cream! i would take a bag of chips over a piece of chocolate cake anyday.

i have successfully broken my addiction and one thing that helps me is almonds! they fill me up fast and come in soooo many flavors now and they give you that crunch that you need! they haven't seemed to stall my weight loss as I only eat them when I am craving chips and like I said I usually don't eat too many. :lol:

tranquill
Wed, May-27-09, 13:58
almonds are a really good idea. a bit more substance than celery sticks! i'll have to try that. i've tried pistachios but i can eat so many of them that i carb up really fast on them

Samantha22
Wed, May-27-09, 14:02
Here ya go...
"cheese chips" (http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheezits.html)

I've found that the best cheese is walmart brand shredded cheddar.
I put a handful on a dinner plate (sprayed with pam first) and microwave for about 4 minutes. This way you can either fold it into a taco shell as it cools, or you let it cool on paper towels and break it into chips.

equistar
Wed, May-27-09, 14:04
Pork skins have been my savior, that and just not having chips or Cheezits in the house.

macabrem
Wed, May-27-09, 14:05
Although I'm not up to eating them currently since I am doing induction, I have found sunflower seeds in the shell to be a good replacement for chips. Especially the ranch or bbq flavored ones, but the plain salted ones are good too. I think the ranch and plain are reasonable on the carbs.

hippygal
Wed, May-27-09, 14:12
popcorn is my downfall... But think about how good you will look if you DON'T eat the chips!

tranquill
Wed, May-27-09, 14:14
it's so hard to lowcarb without dairy sometimes, but i'm trying to quit dairy too. those cheese crackers look so good though!!!!!!!!

i really like flax crackers too, but it's just not the same as the chips. i guess i just need to have lots of healthy acceptable alternatives on hand.

tranquill
Wed, May-27-09, 14:16
popcorn is my downfall... But think about how good you will look if you DON'T eat the chips!

you're so right! i should put a goal weight picture by the front door so that i see it when i want to head out for junkfood. :lol:

hippygal
Wed, May-27-09, 14:37
Good idea! I like! I dare you to do it!

Samantha22
Wed, May-27-09, 15:03
you're so right! i should put a goal weight picture by the front door so that i see it when i want to head out for junkfood. :lol:

I have two pictures, both of me before....one on my fridge, and one on the inside of my locker at work.
Believe it or not, it's put things back into perspective on more than one occasion.
It reminds me...either make a good decision...or look like "that" again.
No way am I looking like "that" again!

lizzyLC
Wed, May-27-09, 17:15
I'd recommend kale chips unless you're convinced you hate kale. They are more delicate but a nice crunchy snack that can be flavored anyway you like. I can't find the link but it's around somewhere.

NixCarbos
Wed, May-27-09, 17:31
redman's organic sea salt on the cheese chips link posted above.
you'll never reach for another dutch ripl again.

Signed,
One chip addict to another

GlendaRC
Wed, May-27-09, 17:33
Here's one of the kale chips threads - http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=386589

I made them -- they really are quite good if you like the mild bitterness of kale, and as salty as you choose to make them.

tranquill
Wed, May-27-09, 20:55
the kale chips look really good. they remind me of dulse for some reason. anyways i'll have to get some kale and try it out.

fatnewmom
Wed, May-27-09, 22:35
cheese or HARD salami or both fried in a pan makes a great substitute

GlendaRC
Wed, May-27-09, 22:46
I've had some First Nations sun-dried seaweed (which they called sea lettuce), deep fried and the kale chips are much like that so yes, I imagine they'd also be similar to dulse!

Holdthebun
Wed, May-27-09, 22:57
Pork skins have been my salvation! I hate the way they taste but I bought the plain ones so I could experiment! Truvia and cinnamon, queso dip and even crunchy peanut butter on them have been my recent delicious lc late night snack.