PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Barry Groves needed please

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bigbri
Wed, May-27-09, 13:04
I had a lot of success on Atkins but run short of energy when jogging or playing golf. So, I am now going to try the Barry Groves (Eat fat get thin) method. What worries me is you are allowed a slice of toast in the morning and a thin slice of cake now and again. Has anyone done this diet please and did it work whilst eating a slice of toast and the odd piece of thin cake? Any help welcome.
Thanks
Bri

bkalm
Sun, May-31-09, 19:11
Bump...does anyone know?

DTris
Mon, Jun-01-09, 07:17
Hello. I am just starting a diet based on Barry Groves recommendations. So I will just say that I have read almost the entirity of his website and I think he has an ok reason for that. Firstly as long as you are eating your carbs in the correct ratio of about 15% of your total calorie intake overall your body should still stay in lypolysis. Secondly I have gotten the impression from the website that its ok to indulge a little every once and awhile, its just chronic eating of a high carbohydrate diet that is the problem.

If you have read the article on his article about william banting (http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/banting.html) then you will see that William was also allowed one piece of dry toast a day.

bigbri
Mon, Jun-01-09, 08:38
That's great DTris. We will have to keep an eye on each others progress. Oh, new word to me "lypolysis". Can you tell me what it means please?
Bri

soule72
Mon, Jun-01-09, 08:57
Does it have to be dry toast or can it have butter? I have been wanting to read this book since its similar to the dr, K's diet.

bigbri
Mon, Jun-01-09, 09:01
I put loads of butter on mine and I am losing weight.

Bri

DTris
Tue, Jun-02-09, 06:13
Does it have to be dry toast or can it have butter? I have been wanting to read this book since its similar to the dr, K's diet.

Butter is mostly fat so you should be fine. I never liked toast anyways so I don't eat any. I think with William Banting the reason dry was specified was because of it being more common to eat bread with very sugary jams.

DTris
Tue, Jun-02-09, 06:18
That's great DTris. We will have to keep an eye on each others progress. Oh, new word to me "lypolysis". Can you tell me what it means please?
Bri

Lypolysis (i think thats spelled right) means the chemical process of using fat as fuel. Ketosis is commonly used to mean that but ketosis is actually just an elevated level of ketones in our bodies. Fat is broken down into three ketones of which acetone is the only one not used. That is released in the breath sweat and urine as waste. Your body can be in lypolysis and be burning fat without being in ketosis. It really depends on how efficiently your body processes the fat and expells the excess acetone. When people start LC they may have never been in lypolysis before so the body isn't very efficient. Over time it gets better and that is why some peoples level of ketosis drops after a while, its also why using ketostix and other testing methods isn't necessarily indicative of being in a fat burning state.

mainecyn
Tue, Jun-02-09, 19:58
Just wanted to wish you a welcome.