PDA

View Full Version : Howdy and thanks much

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dabagboy
Mon, May-25-09, 06:38
I'm new here but not really "new" to low carb.

About two years ago I had 25 lbs. to lose. All my life I'd eaten whatever I'd wanted, and everything I could as well. I was the short, weak, skinny kid in HS at 130 lbs and 5'7". Married at 23 yrs at 140 lbs. Well finally I started to gain a bit of weight around 30, I remember a bit of "joy."

Well in 2006 by 40yrs and 180 I had a genuine "first" gut. I decided to lose it so I started exercising (primarily cardio) 6 wks later I'd not lost a pound.

I started reading and researching, primarily exercise sites and gravitated to bodybuilding sites since I wasn't that "fat" and longed for more muscle. I found and used FitDay and my internet "research" led me to shoot for 170g of Protein and a balance of 40/40/20. It was what a the "bodybuilders consensus" seemed to shoot for..

Sure enough, I dropped that 20 lbs in about short order, about 6 wks getting to a low of around 155.

I've been in a "maintenance mode" since then and probably a bit more lax with more carbs at around 30/50/20. My big addition back to carbs was really fruits. I eat/snack on grapes/cherries/oranges/apples etc...

Out of pure academic curiosity I started reading "Protein Power" a few weeks ago. It makes me think that I can't/shouldn't have those fruits, after all who wants that insulin spike cholesterol, high blood pressure and heart disease? In 2006 my triglycerides were "very high" around 500 IIRC. They'd dropped to normal in 2007.

That's my introduction: I'm going to post a tough question in the newbies questions area if you don't mind.

edit Question here... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=7818821#post7818821)

SueT
Tue, May-26-09, 05:32
Hello! Interesting intro! I'll be following your tough questions; they sound like they'll be interesting :)

Hismouse
Wed, May-27-09, 19:07
To me if what you have been doing is working and all your blood work is fine, then continue on this road. If you get to a point when Lipids go up, which I have heard that lots of fruit can raise you Trig's, but again thats not what happens to everyone.
And Your Blood Sugar, if that is ok, then continue. Fruit is not evil, its just when you eat it, and how much. It is better eaten on a empty stomach. You get the best benifit from it first thing in the day. Again if it is not affecting you in a harmful way, your weight is fine, and you energy and health are, I don't think you need to call it the evil fruit and send it packing.....
Just my feelings on this....