PDA

View Full Version : low carbs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lady123
Wed, May-06-09, 18:22
Hi,
Hope some of you can help me!
I am trying to lose some very unwanted pounds. Summer is here and I guess I didn't realize I had put on so much weight until I tried on my clothes from last summer.
I am interested in the low carb diet. Some of my friends, also middle age like me, have had some great success with this.
I was hoping to get some advice from some of you. I really want this to work!
Hope to hear from you! Thanks!

Bruce13
Wed, May-06-09, 20:29
Welcome to the forum. I have had good success using the Atkins diet. So far I've lost 31 pounds since the middle of January. There are a lot of good posts here to help with what to and what not eat. I hope you find what you're looking for.

lady123
Thu, May-07-09, 04:41
Thanks for replying. I am excited to hear from someone! I will start looking around the site today to gather info for myself. Have a good day!
Congrats on your progress! Very encouraging!

JAnn
Thu, May-07-09, 09:46
Look at the green strip at the very top of the page and you will see "Plans". It gives an overview of the most popular lc weight loss plans.

mickieb
Sat, May-09-09, 07:36
Hi everyone! I am very excited to have found a site for low carb support. I hope that this will be a life long endeavor for me. It would mean a more healthy lifestyle. I have been on a modified Atkins low carb diet with success. Ive lost 9 lbs total. It has finally slowed down, but I feel great! Have energy to exercise and do all that a busy mom needs to do. Anyone tried Dreamfields pastas or know much about it?

girlbug2
Sat, May-09-09, 07:52
Oh boy did you come to the right place for advice!

The number one newbie mistake on Atkins is not reading the book. A lot of people start the diet thinking they know what they are doing because their friends did the diet and told them about it, but if you haven't actually read the book (thoroughly, so that you really understand the principles at work), you would be setting yourself up for failure. So, reading is your friend!

The other piece of advice from me is to try to base your lc diet on real foods as much as possible. Atkins bars and shakes etc are great for an occasional treat but more people seem to report success without them. There is no substitute for cooking at home from scratch, so that you know exactly what is in your meal.

mickieb
Sat, May-09-09, 08:06
Girlbug2: yes, Ive read 2 of Atkins books so far. They gave me more info than I found online, which should be the case. After reading the parts about how the body gets into ketosis and is burning fat, all the hype about eating carbs, carbs, carbs to have enough energy for daily activities just totally went out the window. And then for me to actually do this and be able to confirm that I do indeed have enough energy to exercise 1 1/2 hours daily is really saying something to the world of carb supporters. I am currently finishing up my 3rd week and added one of Atkins Endulge bars for a night time treat. I see that the net carbs have been calculated to 2g per bar. Will this be the number I can actually use for my daily carbs?? Thanks for the welcome note! :)

lady123
Tue, May-12-09, 06:19
It seems like exercise is going to be the hardest for me. So busy - hard to fit it in. Any suggestions. Is three times a week enough?

mickieb
Tue, May-12-09, 17:11
Lady123: 3 times a week is fine if you are starting out with exercise. But if thats all you can put in, then make them count! If you are able to do aerobic work and some resistance exercises in the same day, that'd be great. Choose an aerobic exercise you will enjoy (walking briskly for 30 or more min, swimming, biking etc) and assign different muscles for each day, so that you are not working the same muscle groups everyday. It gives the muscles a chance to heal and get ready for the next time. It should take you about an hour or so to complete both types of exercise. I've been exercising whenever I can, but mostly will make 5 days during the week. My secret? I get up an hour early every morning! Hope this helps!

lady123
Fri, May-15-09, 04:33
Trying to work it in! Some days hard with a busy schedule. Doing my best!

mickieb
Fri, May-15-09, 05:38
I know what you mean by no time. As a matter of fact, I just gave up waking up early to my exercising. I will also have to squeeze it all in during the afternoon and night time. Oh I am trying out IF along with low carbing. Its working great! I lost another pound!

lady123
Sun, May-17-09, 05:12
To Mickieb

What is a modified Atkins? Seems like you were successful- just wondered how it is different. Thanks

mickieb
Sun, May-17-09, 16:11
Lady123: Oh, what I mean is that I am not eating the bad fats. Or what I thought is bad fats. Especially the trans fats. But I also am not really eating high fat beef. I stick to the chicken, fish, turkey meats. However, I am learning that I need to add more of the good fats, which is hard for me. Butter and stuff like that in the dairy foods. I have learned over the years that all these fats are bad for you etc, so for me to learn something new (again) will take time. For me to believe in it anyway. I will try to start with the heavy cream though and maybe adding more cheese.

Also, this is my 4th full week, and the big weight loss was those first 2 weeks. Since then, the loss was very slow, even though Im doing the same thing. I expect to keep losing slowly from now on. The big Induction weight loss period is over!

I made chocolate cookies today and the smell was overwhelming! But I resisted them!

mickieb
Sun, May-17-09, 16:12
BTW, Im not doing IF anymore. I tried that just one or two days was enough for me. Not eating for hours and hours is just too hard. So Im back to eating mainly my 3 meals with some snacks.

Samantha22
Sun, May-17-09, 16:33
I would suggest chosing a specific plan, reading the book, then beginning the plan.
Not every plan works for every person, so read around here on the forum about each plan...there are some good threads available.
Goodluck!

lady123
Wed, Jun-03-09, 04:35
Went off past weekend . Any help for motivation to get back on . Seems harder this time!

lady123
Mon, Jul-06-09, 04:29
My favorite lunch or snack-roast beef and cheese wrapped in letuce- so very good! I am hooked on it!

space
Mon, Jul-06-09, 06:53
You MUST get back on plan immediately, otherwise it's a very slippery slope, not only in terms of eating habits but for morale also.

Everybody makes a mistakes sometimes, or makes a conscious decision to go off plan and to heck with the consequences. You did it, it's over (hopefully it was worth it:)) and now you can continue along the path. The most important thing is not to give up- the longer you go, the easier it will be. Promise!

lady123
Mon, Jul-13-09, 02:15
i AM DOING WELL. NOT LOSING FAST BUT STEADY!