PDA

View Full Version : My story and Intro

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

quest2heal
Sun, Apr-26-09, 13:40
Hi Everyone,

I joined this site today,because I am looking to improve my health,I have spent many years suffering and I have reached that place inside where I am ready.And when you know your ready you know.My primary goal of joining this forum is for encouragement and advice.I am not here to loose weight,in fact I need to loose weight as I am obese.(I believe if ur healthy ur body will normalize weight so I want to get on the right lifestyle not focus on weight)But the reason I am here is to God willing save my life.I am almost completely bedridden,and housebound my spine is torn apart by a disabling lower back issue,I have Polycystic ovarian syndrome,terrible allergies,Asthma,Chronic fatigue,Multiple chemical sensitivity,depression,mood
swings,Hormonal and endocrine problems including Thyroid issues,Candida and chronic yeast infections,Irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea and malabsorption.
I am 29 years old,and have not had a life since I can remember,so I have hit a place where I am at the absolute rock bottom.I have lost many relationships,including a strained one with my family,who are busy in their own life,and do not understand why I am so sick,even though they try.I have dreams,one day I would like to finish college,write,become a mother,travel the world.I live for those dreams,and despite the world crumbling around me,I desire to fight,fight for these precious dreams.I desire a life without pain,to wake up with the energy I am supposed to have as a 29 year old.I desire to reclaim the life that has been stolen from me.High expectations perhaps,but really I just want to feel good enough to live my life,if thats simple enough so be it.

I would like to start out with a short biographical sketch

as a young child I suffered from a borage of complaints,it seemed whenever my family went on vacations I would become ill,I had chronic ear,and sinus infections and was constantly on antibiotics.At the same time I began to gain weight after the age of 5 and was allot chubbier then my sisters even though I was active and ate the same.
As a teenager I balooned up to 330 pounds and was socially withdrawn,had no friends and suffered social anxiety and phobia due to being bullied and picked on in school.I was pretty much fed the typical diet here in USA,Hamburgers,pizza,sweets etc,with the occassional reasonal meal of potatoes meat and vegetables.
By the age of 14 I had terrible skin problems,acne,and I knew something was wrong with me because I had a dark ring around my neck,I was always tired,had terrible mood swings around my period,craved sweets when I was sad due to social isolation and no self esteem,plus no approval at home.I also started to develop hair on my butt,stomach and chin and had no idea why.My mother told me I must not be scrubbing around my neck good enough,and eventually took me to an dermatologist who just gave me a lotion which needless to say never helped.I now know that I was insulin resistent.I continued to have period and hormonal issues,my parents took me to an endocrinologist but she said everything was normal and reccomended diet and exercise.
I continued to suffer severe allergies and was house bound all summer,I took allergy shots and was always doped up on anti-histamines.I struggled through school,finnally I suffered a nervous break down due to constant bullying so a pyschiatrist removed me and I was home schooled all through middle and high school.
During that time my emotions improved simply because I was away from being bullied,however I still struggled with weight,allergies,fatigue and ear infections.I started reading about natural health and became hooked,I started myself out on a vegan diet.And it turned everything around for me,I felt better,energy sky rocketed,my skin improved and I lost weigh rapidly.I ate beans,tofu,rice,pasta,soy burgers etc.I loved being a vegan.But then one day I found myself not feeling well,I couldnt digest food any more,my stomach was bloated and my fatigue returned even worse then before.I read about being toxic and colon cleansing,i put myself on an even stricter raw food diet,I became so obssessed with what I ate I dropped down to 138 pounds and my family was shocked,i have a relatively large body frame and im about 5'9 and half so my bones stuck out,I also turned yellow from all the carrot juice I consumed,and my hair all fell out,I stopped menstrating for 3 years.Finnally i was forced to go back to a normal vegetarian diet,but I still didnt feel well,and I gained weight so rapidly that everyone was shocked,from the age of 20 to now i was in the proccess of gaining,i went back up to 330 and then gained more each year despite my organic mostly vegetarian calorie controlled diet.I am now fluctuating between 350-380 pounds I am sicker then ever.I am bedridden with bulging disc in my back and chronic fatigue.I am by habit still eating mostly vegan meals with the occassional chicken now and then I just started eating chicken recently,I find that I cant function without chicken which is weird.I have hypoglycemia and reactive hypoglycemia,carby meals give me heart palpitations.And I found out I have PCOS.

I hope God willing,I am on the right path to recovering,I know I need to follow up with doctors (which is hard because I cannot work and have no insurance.)I also have to eat organic food because of my chemical sensitiivty,so I am budget challenged as well as sick.God is there and I always ask,why has this happened to me?And how can I be well again?

with much love

TRMH

JAnn
Sun, Apr-26-09, 14:58
You have quite a history there. I would suggest that the first thing you do is get yourself to a doctor. If you're not working you should be able to qualify for state aid. Take it. Until you get your medical problems taken care of nothing is going to change for you.

Ask around and hopefully you can find an Md/homeopathic doctor. I just had my first appointment with the one recommended by our local health food store and I really like him. He listened and discussed my protocol with me.

I wish you the best.

Artist37
Mon, Apr-27-09, 14:27
...how to begin to pick something to eat with all those diagnosises. My goodness ... I hope you can find the right path to get to your goal of feeling good physically and mentally. I wish I could help.