PDA

View Full Version : Hi to All!!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pgarcia
Thu, Apr-04-02, 15:26
My father warned me that this day would come, and now it has. Type II diabetic, a1c of 11.9. That means I am an excelling in something in my life. I am almost TWICE where I should be. How come the good things in life aren't so easy to achieve?

Glucophage is a word that has been added to my vocabulary in the last month. Just between you and me I will be very content if insulin doesn't become a daily occurrence. It won't be the end of the world, but I would rather fix the problem than medicate.

Four times on the treadmill a week, 35 minutes at 4 to 5 MPH with the grade between 2% and 6% varying. Sometimes racquetball, but with glucophage my eyesight is giving me fits.

Before Christmas I was at 204#, am down to 187#, my immediate target is 175#. I know that is not the end, but if I get there I will have achieved a goal, and it is a lot better than doubling my a1c. *smiling*

I know nothing about low carbing but I did pick up that lingo on this site. Where to I start? I have ordered Dr Berstein's book on diabetes, but what do i do for the week before it gets here?

The prospect of spending the rest of my life counting what I eat is a little depressing.

Other than that, EVERYTHING IS GREAT!!!!

Rosebud
Thu, Apr-04-02, 16:31
Hi Paul, :wave:
Welcome to the forum!

How about looking at Dr Bernstein's website.
www.diabetes-normalsugars.com
You can read some if not all of his book there.

There is also a forum here for Dr Bernstein. Just go to "forum jump" at the top or bottom of the page and scroll down till you come to "Dr Bernstein diabetes."

You are already doing well, good on you! :cheer:

Good luck, matey.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

wbahn
Thu, Apr-04-02, 16:53
Greetings and welcome aboard! :wave:

Definitely learn all that you can. Read as many of the LC books as you can handle - the topic actually gets very interesting as you discover more and more about how they human body, how YOUR body, works.

There is link to the right called, "Which low-carb plan is right for me?". That's a good place to start.

As for counting the rest of your life....I've got some good news. Once you get the hang of what LC'ing is all about and learn what the basic principles are and adapt so that you are comfortable living according to those principles - and this might take only a few weeks or it might take a long time, everyone's different - they you will be able to stay on course without counting a thing. Just living according to those few principles.

Keep the Faith!

pgarcia
Fri, Apr-05-02, 10:32
GDDay Rosebud :daze:

I just walked by a table and scarfed up a piece of pastry that was sitting there looking lonely, and shouting "EAT ME!!!!" It was small, probably left by someone who didn't want the whole thing. Looks Like I'm going to have to work on my willpower. Celery, carrots, peppers, amd green beans for a midmorning snack just didn't make it.

Thanks for the welcome. It is only beginning to sink in that I am embarking on a major lifestyle change. All the things that I used to love are out of bounds, but that is one reason why i am here. :(

Thanks for the welcome and the tip to the now bookmarked website. I am sure we will be talking again.

pgarcia
Fri, Apr-05-02, 10:45
wbahn,

Greetings from the NorthCoast of America, defending the southern shore of Lake Erie from the Canadian menace just a mere 40-60 miles away. :roll: To all my brothers and sisters in the Great White North, that was a joke........*smile*

How are things in God's land? Everything here is wintery, snow this morning on the way into work. Going to hit the treadmill in a few minutes at lunch after this post.

Thanks for the advice. I can see that reading about diabetes and low carbing is going to compete with Shelby Foote and the Civil War. At least I won't run out of things to read.

Thanks for the encouragement. Going out to a restaurant tonight. This ought to be interesting. Maybe some lean meat or fish with vegetables? The spirit is willing, sometimes the flesh is weak.

Have a nice weekend. I am sure we will be talking in the future.

In God We Trust.....Semper Fi

Rosebud
Fri, Apr-05-02, 17:00
G'day Paul! :D
I love Shelby Foote!
I first saw him in the wonderful Civil War TV series and consequently have bought several of his books. I have the first two volumes of his Civil War series and am ½ way through the first. It's not exactly a light read but I love it.
So, you've just zoomed up in my estimation by mentioning the wonderful Mr Foote.

Okay, back to low carbing.
Snacks work a lot better if they are of protein. Cheese, hard boiled eggs, meat balls, ham, you get the picture.
Also, carrot is never a good low carb choice. It's pretty sweet and therefore carby.
That rotten pastry! They can be very seductive, can't they? :p
Good luck on your journey!

:rose:Rosebud:rose: