PDA

View Full Version : A Punnet, A Punnet...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

IslandGirl
Thu, Apr-04-02, 12:00
Calling Nigella.... :D

Actually, I just ran across a recipe calling for a punnet of salad cress so I thought I'd enquire over here in THIS forum about punnets.

It's my impression it's a volume measure. Can anyone tell me how many milliLitres (mL) or fluid ounces it might be close to in measure?

Thanks!

odd sock
Thu, Apr-04-02, 12:26
A punnet is a small basket, usually 250 grams/8-9 ounces.
It's many times used for things that would go in said basket, like mushrooms or strawberries... but salad cress?? That almost implies that they're using the little sponge at the bottom as well as the sprouted cress. hee hee :D
That Nigella is barking. I wish she'd keep her fingers out of the food! ICK!

IslandGirl
Sun, Apr-07-02, 21:49
Hey, barking or no :lol:, all the things that might fit in a punnet 'basket' will weigh different amounts.

If the container DIDN'T have holes (was a box instead of a basket, say) how many milliLitres would it hold, anybody?

fiona
Mon, Apr-08-02, 00:52
Think of it as a normal mug or a very full cup - only it is square not round! Seethrough plastic to let the light in. Usually contains growing things or fruits that need light to ripen e.g strawberries etc.

Hope the recipe is worth it ;)
Take care.

IslandGirl
Mon, Apr-08-02, 12:47
Thank you, Fiona!

EVERY recipe is worth it :D I'm SUCH a foodie and (as we say over here) Kitchenalia Freak...

:wave: