PDA

View Full Version : weight lifting /exercise & LOW CARB is this possible?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LCLJUDY
Wed, Apr-15-09, 16:24
MY DH & I worked out today ,HE wants me to try working out with a trainer for a month to see if it will help me!! I think HE just wants to punish me I was shocked!! MY ?? is I think the month includes meal plan
I have been LC lifestyle for awhile not long just joined haven't lost yet & not in ketosis yet sorry for spelling
can you weight train & LCL
SHE will probably up my carbs & lower my fat should Itry this for a month
CAN I still post on this site
LCLJUDY

AZDweller
Wed, Apr-15-09, 17:20
I think you better know what you're getting into before agreeing to anything. And I have two questions from your post -- your call, but I'm concerned.

First question: Punish you? I hope that's not basic to your relationship. I hope he's supportive of your weight loss, not the type to power trip you until you lose weight to his standard. It's your body and no one, even our significant others, have the right to punish us over our bodies. (Also, women's bodies don't respond the same as men's to weight training!)

Then, you say you've been doing the LC lifestyle a while, that your plan is Atkins and you're not in ketosis. Something isn't right here. It shouldn't take long to get into ketosis if you are doing Atkins. Do you have the book? Are you actually doing Atkins with induction? If you want, you're welcome to post some menus so some of us experienced folks can see what might be preventing you from ketosis. At 130, it's a little more challenging. You don't have a lot to lose. Yes, you can weight train and do low carb. But you're right, many trainers wouldn't support LC.

Just my thoughts and concerns. It's your call on this.

Marcia Mae
Wed, Apr-15-09, 18:04
Weight lifting /exercise & LOW CARB is this possible? - Absolutely!! I am almost always in ketosis and I run 4 miles at least 4x a week. I also weight train 2x per week. The running is a little more challenging with a lc lifestyle, I don't run quite as fast as I used to when I did high carb - but I manage. BTW, exercise will get you into ketosis easier.

LCLJUDY
Sun, Apr-26-09, 21:18
THANKS LADIES
MY DH wants me to try a trainer for a month to give me an idea how to work out a routine for myself.I've been doing cardio & curcuit type like curves but at the gym on my own.
I"m still not sure what to do !! it costs a lot of money!
I'm 53yrs. old what used to work doesn't seem to work or takes a lot longer! DH thinks this will help me!!
THANKS JUDY

lcgrrl2006
Sun, Apr-26-09, 21:42
I've been doing weight machines 3 times a week for over 3 years...in ketosis in the beginning. I was a bit weak at first but my body adapted within a month...denise

galatia
Mon, Apr-27-09, 15:08
I'm 53 years old and weight train, and do cardio while low carbing. I learned how to weight train from Rachel McLish's book. That was in 1986. :)

LCLJUDY
Tue, Apr-28-09, 13:14
THANKS LADIES
YOU are awesome!! I need to get by butt in gear
Can both of you PLEASE or anyone reading this PLEASE
Can you give an ex. of your plans?
NO cal/carbs per day on cardio days
No cal/carbs per day on weight training days
Do you know how many carbs you can have &still be in Ketosis
I'm not losing any weight& some days I weight more!!
My DH wants me to try the trainer & she'll probably raise my carbs which I don't mind as long as I start losing weight ( burn fat) & tone up
THANKS!!
JUDY

camaromom
Tue, Apr-28-09, 16:21
First of all I'd be leary of taking any dietary advice from a "Trainer". Trainers should be setting you up with a lifting and or cardio program and not really giving out dietary advice. Although I'm sure that there are trainers out there who will attempt to freely dispense advice about food.

You say you are doing Atkins. Then follow what the Atkins plan allows. If you haven't done a clean 2 week induction I'd do that first. Then follow which ever version of the plan you are doing whether it be the '72 plan or a later version.

I do RPM & cycle class 3 days a week. I lift 2-3 days a week. And, I swim 2-3 days a week. I am very successful in doing this while low carbing.

I can't give you a specific number of calories or carbs per day as mine vary greatly. Also, I'm more in maintenance mode right now. I'm struggling with the last 15 lbs I want to lose, but I'm really not in any hurry.
Good luck to you.