PDA

View Full Version : Happy to have found this forum

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

denise4sky
Thu, Mar-26-09, 21:09
Hello all, very happy to have found this forum.
I am doing the low carb thing myself but more importantly have my son doing the low carb thing - he has diabetes (Type 1).
I had read Dr. Bernstein's book - just a couple of months ago and found his theories about low carb and saving the remaining beta cells stunning. You won't find a pediatric endocrinologist that subscribes to that (at least I haven't) The theory that abounds is ...just let a kid be a kid and if they eat a cupcake just make sure they give themselves enough insulin to cover it. I just can't believe that is OK. I do believe that Dr. Bernstein is right. I originally became a low carb believer doing the Atkins diet 15 years ago - lost a lot of weight on that one too.

I wish I could talk to or send a letter to Dr. Bernstein myself to talk about the results that my son has had on a low carb diet - he gets about 150 carbs a day (probably 1/4 of the typical 11 year old).

Personally, I have lost just over 20 pounds since 01/19 this year - just by eating the same things I prepare for my son - in January though I ate only about 20-40g carbs/day for the first 30 days.

CValentine
Thu, Mar-26-09, 21:47
Awesome job Denise!!

You are doing great for you and FOR YOUR SON!!

Continued success & WELCOME to the Forums!

Hope to see you around! :) ~Cheryl

Kisal
Fri, Mar-27-09, 00:04
Welcome, Denise! :wave:

denise4sky
Mon, Mar-30-09, 14:28
I had someone send me a message on a Talk Medical forum asking how I could have a child on a low carb diet and wasn't I concerned that he was missing out on whole grains. So I have been doing some research into the benefits of "whole grains"...Whole grains like the ones advertised plastered all over sugary cereal boxes - somehow 40g of carbs loaded with sugar - all OK as long as part of it has whole grains. The food "pyramid" featurning grains and breads as the foundation and largest part of a "balanced diet" has to be rethought.

CValentine
Mon, Mar-30-09, 14:36
Denise,

My soon to be 3yo daughter has a starch sensitivity - esp. wheat flour.
After the 5th time of heavy impaction problems landing us in the ER...the pediatrician told me that wheat is not essential to the diet. Yes, a Dr. said it!

My Renny(pictured below) has not had bread, potatoes, rice or other starches since last July & is doing fine with no problem.
Intelligence, mental acuity, motor skills, height, weight...no Problem!

Stay strong & know what is right for you to be giving your child.
We stick to a whole foods approach.

Best Wishes & Success to you! :) ~Cheryl

Luzyanna
Mon, Mar-30-09, 14:36
:wave: Hi!
:D

denise4sky
Tue, Mar-31-09, 06:49
Thanks, I'm so glad for this forum!! I think more doctors have to stand up to the ADA. I work with a doctor that only eats carbs in a one hour sitting once a day. I thought that was an interesting take - it works for him. What completely boggles my mind is how the pediatric endocrinologists do not advocate low carb diets for the diabetic children. They just want to cover carbs with insulin. Intuitively it felt wrong to me from the moment my son was diagnosed we went low carb. The truth has to come out. Interestingly, the wheat allergy that you mention is often another problem that children with Type 1 Diabetes have.