PDA

View Full Version : hello, I think I made a mistake

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jenny v
Wed, Apr-03-02, 07:16
:daze: I just wrote a thread and accidentally hit the tab button. I keep doing this. I am not sure if my first message will go through so I will repeat it.
:help: I have been on the atkins diet since January. However, I can't seem to get out of the Induction stage because once every one or two weeks I cheat for a meal. Well, actually, sometimes it becomes a couple days and then I am back on induction. I am afraid to go off Induction. I have read several times how to do it but I am just not sure.
:q: Also, I was on one of the many web sites for low carb eating and I found a receipe for gummie worms, made with jello. However, I can't find the web site now. Does anyone know of this receipe or has seen this site lately and can tell me the receipe? :wave:
Well, I am going to go. I just have one more question. I would like a reciepe for bread that taste more like the real thing. I have tried the Atkins receipe but I am not sure if I am making it right or if that is just the way it is supose to taste :thdown:

agonycat
Wed, Apr-03-02, 07:30
You don't need to restart induction everytime you fall off the wagon and have a bad meal.

What you need to do is get on with it. If you cheat, then get back to eating correctly. Induction is just that. Introducing you to eating healthy and correctly. Once you complete that stage you move into the Ongoing Weight Loss or better known as OWL.

And I hate to tell you this, but nothing will ever taste as good as the real thing....which is why it is far better to go without something, than trying to find a low carb subsitute of a high carb item.

jenny v
Wed, Apr-03-02, 12:28
Thanks for the advice. I am just one of those people who love food too much. When I get off the diet I really binge. I just have to have the stregnth to stay on. It is so nice to hear from someone else who has been on the diet. Thanks.

wbahn
Wed, Apr-03-02, 14:55
I just have to have the stregnth to stay on.

Easier said than done - so you need to figure out HOW to stay on so as to not rely purely on strength since we all have tons of weak moments.

This of your ventures off the wagon as a crime. Identify the means, motive and opportunity. Then eliminate any one of them and you won't re-offend.

Try to figure out WHY you go off the wagon - is it emotional, is it the presence of "bad" foods, is it peer pressure, is it boredom with your menus, etc.?

Then try to take steps to make it physically hard to go off the wagon - don't keep money or credit cards with you, get rid of all the "bad" food in the house, etc..

Then try to find alternatives - keep plenty of "legal" snacks around, etc..

Also, when you DO fall of the wagon, try to find a means of getting immediately back on. Quite often we let one small mistake act as permission to make a whole series of mistakes using reasoning like, "Well, I've already screwed up today - so I'll restart tomorrow." Wrong. Even if we accept the premise that you screwed up today, that is better than screwing it up WORSE! The mistake is done. Admit, Accept, Learn, Move on.

Keep the Faith!

Lisa N
Wed, Apr-03-02, 16:21
Good advice, Wbahn...

I'll add one more. Forgive yourself! We all make mistakes. The difference between a wise person and a fool is not that the wise person never makes mistakes; it's that the wise person learns from them...and a truly wise person learns from the mistakes from others! :D

jenny v
Thu, Apr-04-02, 09:19
Thanks for the advice. I really needed it yesterday after I ate a klondike icecream bar. It seems when I exercise I get extra hungry and I crave carbos.

Shellyf34
Thu, Apr-04-02, 19:38
I really needed it yesterday after I ate a klondike icecream bar. It seems when I exercise I get extra hungry and I crave carbos.

HMMM, sounds to me more like what I used to do, "I worked out and I deserve a treat!" I used to "reward" myself for working out by doing things like eating and entire mexican meal (enchilada, chili relleno, rice AND beans, oh, and don't forget the chips!).

Listen to your body, do really you want ice cream? Don't fall back under the spell of "sugar equals energy." If you are gnashing at the bit after a good workout, eat an apple with a slice of cheese. "good carbs" plus some protein and fat.

For a guilt-free treat, try pouring some whipping cream into a glass of sugar-free A&W Root Beer. Instant Root Beer Float! :D

good Luck!

Shelly