PDA

View Full Version : already frustrated!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tenderfire
Sat, Mar-21-09, 18:06
I've been on the Atkins induction phase for 2 weeks...had sugar carbs twice during that time. I haven't lost any pounds. Does slipping totally throw the program off? Anyhow, it would be really great to get some tips on how to actually see weight loss during this induction phase. I always get frustrated when I don't lose and then I flip flop to Weight Watchers...but then the sugar gets the best of me....I lose energy, feel anxious, etc. when I start with the refined carbs. Any suggestions...Can anyone Help?

NrgQuest
Sat, Mar-21-09, 21:28
When I want to cheat, I eat. I will eat cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs, pork rinds, beef sticks, coconut bark, cream cheese(ate it plain once), not all at the same time. A couple of times I made a spinach salad with bacon, cheese, and sprinkled a few walnuts on it and topped it with my homemade salad dressing. The main thing is to stay on plan, the weight will drop eventually.

Kisal
Sat, Mar-21-09, 21:31
Welcome! Nice to have you with us! :)

Yes, "slipping," as you put it, can stop weight loss, especially if your CCLL happens to be very low. It could also depend on just how many "sugar carbs" you ate. Did you eat one bite of something, or did you go entirely off plan for a couple of days?

One of the things that happens during Induction is that your body uses up all of its stored glycogen and switches over to burning fat for energy. It usually takes 3 to 5 days to complete the switch. If you eat enough carbs during that time to replenish those stores of glycogen, then your body will not make the switch.

tenderfire
Sun, Mar-22-09, 10:21
This is so cool....to have a website like this. I'm headed off for an out of town business trip and I feel greatly encouraged! Thanks to those that responded!

lil' annie
Sun, Mar-22-09, 10:52
When you return from your trip, I suggest you go to your public library and check out all their Atkins' books; also, the reprint of the original 1972/1981 DADR is allegedly available at Barnes & Noble.

You have to get seriously into ketosis, and then you lose your hunger, and then you start to lose poundage.

Kisal
Sun, Mar-22-09, 14:25
; also, the reprint of the original 1972/1981 DADR is allegedly available at Barnes & Noble.http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-049.gif "Allegedly" is a good choice of words! When I asked them about it at my local Barnes & Noble, they acted like I was nuts! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I Googled it when I got home, and sure enough, the book was available on their website. ;)

That was almost a year ago, though, just weeks after the new printing came on the market, so maybe B&N's computer system is up-to-date by now. :D

Blackstone
Sun, Mar-22-09, 15:03
Hi Tenderfire - I have done atkins before but this is the first time that I was really strict during induction. Ok, I did drink some vodka which can slow weight loss but other than that I was to the letter. Even stopped 98% of coffee intake. Today is the last day of my two week induction and I've lost 10 pounds. Before on induction I always tried to get fancy IE ate the Atkins and other lowcarb products and used a lot of aspartame. This time I'm not doing that. I really just ate the vegis and protien, real foods. I'm very pleased with the results. I never had that dramatic of a drop in the past. I'm new to this forum so I won't pretend to have any answers...just sharing my own experience. Oh I have two atkins cookbooks that I use. It makes this WOL easy and enjoyable. Heck, my husband will even cook the meals for us if I leave the menu for him. He likes the food and my 3 year old will eat it too. :) I think the aspartame/sugar alcohols or whatever really did stall me in the past so I'm going to try to stay away from them for a while and see if I'm correct.

Best of luck to you. :) I'm sure you'll find what works for you soon enough.

mainecyn
Mon, Mar-23-09, 10:42
Especially, if the beginning, during induction, any slips off the program, sugar, will cause stalls. I hope that you find a lot of advice and support on the board.

daisywench
Mon, Mar-23-09, 10:49
It's very important, especially during induction to get into ketosis, and any slips can cause you to jump out of ketosis, and then it's 3 days to get back into it. I know it's tough the first 2 weeks, but you have to stick to it. Heck, I've basically been on induction for almost 6 months!
Make sure you're eating enough protein and fat, and the cravings will subside, and you'll have tons of energy.

pesto
Mon, Mar-23-09, 10:54
I feel so out of the loop since I'm coming back to low-carbing after a long hiatus, but I always found the ketone test strips to be motivating while doing Atkins. Even if I didn't lose weight that week, seeing the strip change color encouraged me that my body was burning fat, even if it didn't show up on the scale yet.

The strips can also show how much consuming sugar may affect your body, assuming you made it into ketosis when you started induction. When I did induction the first time around, if I so much as ate a few extra vegetables, the ketone strips wouldn't change color anymore...

lil' annie
Mon, Mar-23-09, 10:56
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-049.gif "Allegedly" is a good choice of words! When I asked them about it at my local Barnes & Noble, they acted like I was nuts! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I Googled it when I got home, and sure enough, the book was available on their website. ;)

That was almost a year ago, though, just weeks after the new printing came on the market, so maybe B&N's computer system is up-to-date by now. :D

I've read at least a dozen postings here, that people picked a copy of DADR which was recently reprinted. The 1972 is the original publishing date, and then it was reprinted in 1981 -- and this current 21st century printing is said to have the identical cover.

I've never gone looking for it, so I used the word, "allegedly" as I have no idea if they are still in stock there.

Perhaps the clerk you spoke to didn't know how to use the computer, because where I shop they can pre-order books for me, ones that aren't even in print yet.

tenderfire
Thu, Apr-09-09, 19:50
When you return from your trip, I suggest you go to your public library and check out all their Atkins' books; also, the reprint of the original 1972/1981 DADR is allegedly available at Barnes & Noble.

You have to get seriously into ketosis, and then you lose your hunger, and then you start to lose poundage.

I followed induction for 14 days and I was very strict, following it to a "t". All I lost was one pound!!!! I got so frustrated that I went back to following Weight Watchers...again. I don't know why Atkins induction doesn't work for me....I don't get it.

tenderfire
Thu, Apr-09-09, 19:52
I followed induction for 14 days and I was very strict, following it to a "t". All I lost was one pound!!!! I got so frustrated that I went back to following Weight Watchers...again. I don't know why Atkins induction doesn't work for me....I don't get it.

Blackstone
Fri, Apr-10-09, 13:44
I'm sorry Tenderfire! That must be incredibly frustrating. I think the more you weigh when you start has a lot to do with it. Did you quit all caffiene? Diet pop? Aspartame? In anycase, I am sorry. And hope you find something that works for you. :)

tenderfire
Sat, Apr-11-09, 15:59
no, i didn't quit caffeine - had 2 or 3 cups a day....also i use saccharin rather than asparthame

lisacna
Sat, Apr-11-09, 20:31
People with alot of weight to lose tend to have the more dramatic weight loss. There are very few people that atkins just wont work for,,you may be in the lucky few but maybe not. I have found net carbs not to work for me. I have to total carbs. any Atkins brand products will also promptly halt weight loss, IMHO. Some do need to cut out caffine,,I dont have to but keep in mind it does have an impact on some. And finally calories do actually matter somewhat. Ketosis cuts the appetite so most eat far less than they used to. However my last dance with atkins I refused to even consider I could not eat as much as I pleased and that attempt was not sucessful. I wish you much luck and hope you find what works for you. All the best to you. Lisa

tiajuana
Sat, Apr-11-09, 21:51
Hi,
I'm totally new to this forum (any forum), and am just back on to the lcwoe after being out in yoyo adventureland for some time. I was wondering if you have considered possible food sensitivities or allergies. I know that when I eat onions on my steak, I will stop losing or even gain a pound or so. Maybe if you kept a daily food log on a journal page, some of the senior members could easily spot problem areas. They seem to be really helpful. I plan to something of the sort when I figure out how to actually get to the journal page haha

tenderfire
Sun, Apr-12-09, 09:40
thanks for the suggestions. i guess if the "simplicity" is removed from Atkins and i have to get at that level to figure out what is making it not work for me....i'll just stick to WW and try to keep refined sugars out of my diet to the best i can given social situations from time to time. i have a cooking show and it's very difficult to keep up an atkins regimen when a slip throws you off completely. i'll just have to deal w/temptations that come with WW....self discipline is the key no matter what plan you're on. good luck with yours!