PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

HippieKid
Thu, Mar-19-09, 17:15
*clears throat*

Long time lurker, first time poster.
Started Atkins last year in June, spent the month of May slowly getting rid of the 'yucky' stuff in the house by sending it back to college with my son.
I lost 30 pounds, husband lost 50 and my daughter lost 15 (I suspect she was noshing on bad stuff when she went out with her friends).
Husband had heart surgery (congenital heart defect, aortic valve replacement) in October - so we ended up following the 'heart healthy' diet because the dietitian said we should.
Fast forward to March. Husband's weight is up to 210 and he is short of breath all the time. He asked me when we were going back on the 'diet' because he is sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. Me too. While I was eating what the nutritionist considers 'healthy' I got stomach cramps, headaches and much more cranky when under stress among other things.
Um - not really following a 'plan' per say - Just eliminating carbs in the form of sugar(s), flours, over processed foods, carb-y stuff. Much easier for me this way then counting everything like I did the last time I was on induction - and I am less anal about counting carbs (cuz seriously - I needed some big time help back in June - like an intervention or something. I was totally the anti-carb gestapo).
Of course - all the yummy recipes and words of wisdom I find on the forums and blogs help immensely.
I'm getting better at cooking (which is saying something) and being more experimental. Getting over my fear of the kitchen so to speak - a good thing since I work for a kitchenware company and need to at least be able to fake it. *wink*
Well, that's my introduction.
Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Blackstone
Thu, Mar-19-09, 17:31
Welcome Hippie Kid - I'm new to this forum too and would love some chat buddies. :)

Melesana
Thu, Mar-19-09, 17:37
Welcome Hippie Kid, from an old hippie. You're going to do fine!

Meg

27Peach
Thu, Mar-19-09, 17:40
Hey HippieKid! It's great to be back on LC, isn't it?! I suggest you start a journal here - it's a wonderful tool for tracking your progress and for motivation! Here's how...
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=172775
I wish you great success on your LC journey!

Kisal
Thu, Mar-19-09, 18:21
Welcome! It's nice to meet you! :wave:

mainecyn
Thu, Mar-19-09, 18:42
Welcome to the forum, yup, journaling is a great way to get to meet more people and keep track of your journey as well!

Eliza_Jazz
Thu, Mar-19-09, 22:56
Howdy :wave: