PDA

View Full Version : Swimming and Pool Exercises--Low Imapct Exercises

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SissyPoo
Thu, Mar-12-09, 15:06
I do water exercises and some swimming to but my exercise is limited because of bad arthritis in my knees and hips and spine areas.

I try to get in our pool at least three or four times a week and get my exercise. I do some low impact water areobic's to.
Anyone who cannot do to much high oimpact exercises, I suggest the water exercises. It is easy on the bones and joints and the pool water is so relaxing to.

I also ride my exercise bike and have some chair exercises I do to since I cannot do any high impact exercises because of my arthritis.

So if you are like me and cannot do a whole lot of the gym, walking and other exercises, come join me and lets talk about some low impact exercises in the pool.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii4/mnappier/EXERCISEBIKE.gif (http://)

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii4/mnappier/POOLEXERCISE-1.jpg (http://)

mlk18
Thu, Mar-12-09, 20:51
I wish I had access to a swimming pool. I love to swim, but here in the great white North you have to wait for summer or attend a University with a swim team. I guess I could go to a local hotel a couple time a week! :lol:

I am glad you found an exercise plan that works for you (read as: jealous).

jschwab
Thu, Mar-12-09, 21:38
I have recommended ths to people so many times. And it's not just for people with mobility issues - anyone who's injured can benefit. As well as people at the top of their fitness as crosstraining.

camaromom
Fri, Mar-13-09, 06:54
I joined a local Masters program offerred at one of the local high schools and associated with club swimming last November. I'm 43 years old and I had a hip replaced about 5 1/2 years ago due to birth defect resulting in severe arthritis. I'm loving it. Oh, and by the way, there is nothing Masters about me. I'm a beginner. Never did learn how to swim as a kid.

SissyPoo
Fri, Mar-13-09, 11:19
Nice to meet you all.
Camaromom, Sorry to hear that you had to have a hip replaced, hope it is doing better now. Swimming will help that alot. I know alot of people who have had them and knee replacements to that do water exercises to keep flexible.

Jschwab- yes I to would reccommend water exercises to anyone who cannot do much hard impact exercises. Water is easy on the joints and will keep you flexible to. I use it for my arthritis.
There should be places in your city where you can have use of a pool, a gym, or a Aquatic center, or maybe the college or schools will have one and alot of cities have public pools to.

MLK18--Check with the schools there and see if they have pools, or if there is a city public pool anywhere. Maybe the gym there has one.

I think my water exercise has helped my arthritis more than any other exercises I have ever done. We have our own pool so I can swim everyday, which I try to do, and the water aerobics I do is so much fun now that I got my husband joining in with me to do them.
In the winter months when its to cool to swim I go up to the Aquatic center here in our city and swim there. They only charge me $35.00 for the entire month to swim as much as I want so I do not think that is bad for a few months use of their pool. Its mostly Dec. Jan. Feb, and maybe first part of March that its to cool to swim here in Florida where I live, but after that its is getting hot so the pool water warms up enough for me to get in it.
We have been talking about investing in a pool heater so we can swim in it yrs. round but styill have not gotton one yet. But its on our list of things to buy.

SissyPoo
Fri, Mar-13-09, 14:23
Top 10 Exercises to get fit in Water

If you like being in the water but get bored swimming up and down lanes, or just want to vary your routine, consider trying some pool exercises. Water exercises can also be safer and more comfortable for pregnant women and for people who are overweight or suffer from arthritis, back pain or muscle or joint problems. Since your weight is partially supported and your movements slowed down, you are much less likely to injure yourself. Try the exercises here as a starter- if you enjoy them, consider joining a class.

TONING ARMS: Stand with the feet apart, arms extended straight in front of you holding a ball Breathing rhythmically push the ball under the water, and swing it into a figure-of-eight pattern through the water. Feel the varying resistance on the arms and upper body. Move in as smooth a rhythm as you can making sure not to strain your shoulders or back. Try maintaining a sturdy balance and repeat 10 times. (Note: If you are recovery from a shoulder injury, do not practice this exercise in the absence of a therapist).

WATER MARCHING: To begin with stand up straight breathing evenly, make continuous strides as if marching on the spot, extending arms and legs as far as you can . The resistance created by water will keep the march in slow motion. Stretch your limbs to the full, pointing your toes and pulling your arms vigorously back and forth. Start with 2 minutes or so or as long as it makes you slightly breathless. Simply aim for a good rhythmic walking movement.

SIDE STRETCH: Stand sideways to the pool wall holding onto the edge with arm fully extended, and feet flat on the pool floor. Inhale as you extend the outside arm overhead as in Posterior Shoulder stretch. Exhale as you lean hips away from poolside. Do10 times on each side.

WAIST TRIMMER: With your back against the poolside, arm along the edge for support, draw the knees to your chest. Extend your legs straight ahead. Inhaling, swing legs to your left and then to your right and back to the center. As you exhale move legs to front and withdraw to chest. Repeat this for 10 times. All through the motion keep your back pressed against the wall.

STANDING KICKBACKS: Stand an arms-length way from the pool wall. keep your shoulders relaxed, your feet together and arms hanging by your sides. Breathe normally. Rest both of your hands against the pool side at shoulder height. Keep your arms straight. Bend your knees a little, tucking in your bottom as you do so. Using your buttock and thigh muscles, raise your left leg and swing it gently back. Keep the supporting leg bent a little and don't raise your leg too high. Repeat 5 times with each leg.

LEG ADDUCTION AND ABDUCTION: Stand with your back pressed to the pool side, hold on to the rod (against the wall of the pool) for support. Keeping your back straight raise your legs (similarly as in Waist Trimmer). Try spreading out your legs with minimum strain on the back. Move your legs only from the hip joint. Now draw your legs simultaneously and smoothly together into the middle.

CRUNCH: Once out of the pool, spread out a mat or even your towel on a straight bench. Your knees should be bent and feet flat on the floor. Rest tour fingers lightly on the side of your head, around your ears. Lift your shoulders and head so that you can see your knees for a moment. Return to the starting position gradually. Repeat about 10 times.

FLOATING ON WATER: Relaxation is an essential aspect of completing an exercise routine. Let your body lose and let it float on water. You will be amazed, besides proving as an essential sport, swimming also lets you relax.

SissyPoo
Sun, Mar-15-09, 11:21
I did not get my swimming in today because its storming outside today. Hope tomorrow will be better.
Miss it alot when I cannot do my water exercises.

SissyPoo
Fri, Mar-27-09, 16:24
Weather to bad today to go for my swim so will have to get it in another day when its not lightning outside.

Trying to build muscle in my legs and hips so they don;t get all weak on me when trying to walk.

SissyPoo
Mon, Apr-06-09, 14:40
Did not go for my swim today because the weather got cool today for some odd reason. Its never cool this time of year, so whats happening with our weather here!
Yesterday it was in the 80's and today only 63...Very strange.

JAnn
Mon, Apr-06-09, 15:04
Swimming is my favorite exercise to do but I have to wait for 1)my dr's approval, and 2)the pool to open up for the summer.

Having come from an area with a year round pool not having one in our community bogs my mind.

SissyPoo
Tue, Apr-07-09, 13:07
I have been swimming all my life, always loved it.

SissyPoo
Fri, May-08-09, 14:04
I am still swimming most everyday now the weather is not to cool.
I also do water aerobics to and other water exercises.
With my bad knees this helps me alot.

bkalm
Tue, May-12-09, 07:23
I love to supplement my exercise program with pool exercises in the summer. It's a great way to keep cool and stay fit. I feel very blessed to have a pool in our yard. I'm looking for water weights but don't know where to find them

SissyPoo
Wed, May-13-09, 14:07
I swim year round. If the weather is to cool I go up to our Aquatic Center and swim in the in-door pool.

JAnn
Thu, May-14-09, 10:07
I got to swim on Friday and again on Monday at a semi-private pool. It felt so good but I was sore afterward. Found out last week that the city pool won't open until July if at all. budget cuts, you know! My friend leaves for Tx today for nine days but when she returns we will swim.

lilozzi
Thu, May-21-09, 20:40
I've always loved swimming and am pretty blessed for weather in this part of the world, beaches and local pools are easy to access. I competed in an open water event this year and it was fantastic. It was 19.6kms from the mainland to an island in a team of 4 and took us 6hrs. A little scary when you realise you are swimming in the middle of the ocean... but what a wonderful feeling when you make it! :D

KrisR
Thu, May-21-09, 21:31
I've gotten out of the swimming habit since the weather has turned cooler here (I'm in Australia) but I hereby commit to going to an aqua aerobics class tomorrow at 9:30. I should go get a leg waxing before getting back into a public pool, but I'll throw caution to the wind and go hairy. :)

As a side note, 2 years ago I couldn't swim a lap. Started taking swimming lessons and now when doing laps, I typically do 40 or more. Pretty good for a 50 year old midwestie!