PDA

View Full Version : Can I get your opinions on this lifting routine?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Aeryn
Mon, Mar-09-09, 16:13
Hey all,

I was a gym rat for a bit but took an extended four month break. Well, a trainer at my gym just set up a routine for me, so I can get back into things. I asked for a split routine, but he said he preferred a full-body workout done 2 times a week (3 at the max).We did it on Thursday, and I went back today -- clearly not enough rest time for me, as I couldn't manage as many reps this time as I did on Friday!

I'm asking opinions because I got the impression the trainer might have been skipping particular exercises because I'm female and he was making assumptions about what I wanted to "do" to my body. (Example: no lat pulldowns, he said -- not necessary, and anyway is only for those who want broader shoulders.) All I want to "do" is get in shape, though. And maybe look good in a swimsuit come June. :lol:

His philosophy: the first set, as many reps as it takes until failure. Wait 30 seconds, do second set - as many reps as it takes until failure. (I like the economy of that!)

1. Dumbbell flies.
2. Low cable row.
3. Seated shoulder press (with dumbbells, which I prefer to machines).
4. Bicep curls (dumbbells).
5. Tricep pushdowns (on cable machine)
6. Leg press (machine) - here, alone, he says to do 3-4 sets of 25 reps.
7. Plank (45-60 seconds).
8. Reverse crunches.

Any thoughts? Would this routine, 2-3 times weekly, suffice to hit everything?

mlk18
Thu, Mar-12-09, 21:08
Low cables rows work almost the same muscles as lat pull downs. Either way it is important work all the major muscles, male or female.

I am not quite sure about the set/rep scheme. I presume you start out with a prescribed weight that you can lift say 10-15 times and when you can consistently do 16+ you increase the weight?

carlh_uk
Fri, Mar-13-09, 09:26
Looks fine to start out with. Although I am a bit suspicious of the high reps on the leg press. I would expect him to introduce a wider range of exercises after a few weeks or so. Dont worry about the rest time not being enough yet, you will take a couple of weeks to adapt to the program. Keep working hard and the results will come.

Aeryn
Fri, Mar-13-09, 09:38
Thanks for your feedback, both of you!

I am not quite sure about the set/rep scheme. I presume you start out with a prescribed weight that you can lift say 10-15 times and when you can consistently do 16+ you increase the weight?

Not quite. Basically he's got me doing most of these exercises with eight or ten pound dumbbells. In some cases (dumbbell fly, for instance), I'm doing up to ~25 reps before I start to fatigue. I actually had wondered if I shouldn't just up the weight, there... seems like a waste of time to be doing 25 reps so I can hit failure on 8# when I could get to failure on 10# within, probably, 15 reps. What do you think??

I would expect him to introduce a wider range of exercises after a few weeks or so.

Interestingly, he said this is pretty much the routine he follows, himself -- but he does HIIT too. I'm pretty much constitutionally opposed to high-intensity cardio, though. :) Ideally, I'd like my weight routine to elevate my heartbeat (and so far, it does); otherwise, I'm content with a fast two miles' walk or 20 minutes on the elliptical as a supplement to lifting.

mlk18
Fri, Mar-13-09, 18:45
There are differing schools of thought here. 25 reps will give you more muscle endurance and potentially a higher calorie burn off but high reps are far less effective at building muscle. Lower reps will build muscle which burns more calories all day every day and helps define or shape your body. Both can help with weight loss, but I am a proponent of the second school. Often times the 20-25-30 rep schemes are designed for people who believe "toning" actually exists and for people who think they will become huge masses of muscle from a 30 minute weight training workout 3 times a week. ;)

AlienBug
Sat, Mar-14-09, 07:27
Interestingly, he said this is pretty much the routine he follows, himself
I'm with the trainer. I see no need for redundant exercise. In fact, I would say you do too many exercises now. Why do overhead press AND tricep pushdowns? Especially considering you do pushdowns after the presses, when your triceps are already fatigued.
My exercise routine includes about half as many exercises, essentially a one-arm overhead press and a full body pull like a deadlift or kettlebell swing.

Do fewer things better.

Aeryn
Sat, Mar-14-09, 17:39
Thanks, you guys.

Since I'm not one of those women who fears she will become the Incredible Hulk >insert eyeroll here<, I think I'll switch my weights up and do fewer reps. I appreciate y'all's feedback!

Heathygirl
Tue, Apr-14-09, 05:55
Good luck! I wish you reach your goal as quick as possible!