PDA

View Full Version : Doin' it right this time!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

IHeartCake
Sun, Mar-08-09, 04:18
Hello all! I'm new to this forum, and new to the correct way to do Atkins.

I tried Atkins a few years ago, but I now know that I was unintentionally doing it all wrong. I learned the 'rules' of Atkins from my cousin in the spring of 2003 and tried the diet with him. Neither one of us read the book. Turns out, he had his info wrong (go figure), so we loaded up on cheese (waaaay more than 3-4 ounces a day), hotdogs, eggs, hamburgers and sugar-free candy. Lots of sugar-free candy to curb our sweet teeth. (<---not a pleasant experience, btw.) No veggies. No olive oil. No real butter. No lean meats. No fiber. No wonder I only lasted a week before quitting, with no weight loss, feeling like crap. I was trying to live on hotdogs and cheese and sugar alcohol disguised as not-so-great-tasting chocolate bars. :lol:

Back then, I was just shy of two years out of college and only had about 15 pounds to lose. However, over the past few years, my weight has shot up substantially due to my unhealthy obsession with junk food and tivo. (Eek.) Last week, I finally decided enough is enough!...I want to get back to my college weight of 110. I was so happy and healthy and cute back then...I want to get back to that.

So I decided to revisit Atkins to see how EXACTLY it should be done. Lo and behold, I discovered that I was barely doing ANYTHING right when I tried it six years ago. But that's ok, because that was then and this is now. I'm bound and determined to do it right this time, and to continue with lifetime maintenance once I reach my goal. I don't want to be addicted to sweets anymore! I want to live a low-carb lifestyle! I want to be happy and healthy and thin and cute again!

I've just finished Day 2. I was very happy when I got on the scale Saturday morning, to discover that after my first day of induction, I had already lost 2.5 pounds. Water weight, I know...but hey, I'll take it. :thup:

PollyL
Sun, Mar-08-09, 04:43
Hi and welcome :wave: Glad you are with us!! :yay:

Isn't this forum great?! :agree: There's so much here!

It is good to have buddies to walk along this journey. The more, the merrier :clap: !!

Keep us posted!

Kisal
Sun, Mar-08-09, 11:50
Hello, and welcome! Nice to have you with us! :wave:

lil' annie
Sun, Mar-08-09, 17:47
Which book are you following? There's a current 2002 version, and then there's the original Atkins Diet published in 1972, reprinted in 1981 - and recently RE-printed again, as I've read that people have found it at Barnes & Noble.

ATKINS DIET FORUM

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=98

MESSAGETHREAD: 1972 Atkin's Nostalgia Dieting Buddies Group #2
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=386471

IHeartCake
Sun, Mar-08-09, 20:30
Hello! Thanks for all the welcome wishes. I love this forum. I've been lurking for a week now, but was kind of nervous to jump in...seems like everyone here knows each other so well, and I was afraid I'd feel like an outsider. But, I'm glad I wrote my original post, which has already received a few responses from you fine folks. I think it'll be great to have some support from people (y'all...lol) who are going through the same thing as me (low-carbing), without having to rely solely on support from my non-low-carbing husband. :lol:

Annie: To answer your question, I'm following the 2002 version of DANDR.

lil' annie
Sun, Mar-08-09, 20:54
Here's a messagethread which may be of special interest to you:

DANDR 2002 by the book fans here?
Atkins Diet Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=391370

IHeartCake
Sun, Mar-08-09, 21:07
Here's a messagethread which may be of special interest to you:

DANDR 2002 by the book fans here?
Atkins Diet Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=391370

Thanks! I'll check it out right now...

CValentine
Mon, Mar-09-09, 12:07
Awesome to have you here with us IHeartCake!

Welcome to the Forum! :) ~Cheryl

IHeartCake
Mon, Mar-09-09, 12:22
Thank you! I love this forum! So many people willing to help and answer questions for newbies like me. What a great support system y'all have built up here. I have a feeling it'll be a huge help during my weight-loss endeavor and my lifetime maintenance. :thup:

Melesana
Mon, Mar-09-09, 12:48
Hi, glad to have you here. Most of us are really nice to each other, whether or not we know each other well or at all. We're all in this together.

Meg

OtherCher2
Tue, Mar-10-09, 11:17
Always good to read the book first and I encourage newbies to do just that because I was one of those that did "Atkins" for almost 6 months by word of mouth and it was totally wrong information. I did somehow manage to lose 25 lbs. eating an entire pound of cheese every day! :lol: Of course, I eventally quit and went back my old woe....it took me 2 years and a 40# gain before I finally read the damn book. WOW! Then it made sense and was able to jump in and do lc the right way.