PDA

View Full Version : Low carb drop out returns

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Anniriki
Sun, Feb-22-09, 21:20
Hello. I am new to this forum and I just want to say hello. I am 58 years old and been off and on diets since I was in the 4th grade. I have spent most of my life fat. Every now and then I lost the weight, only to gain it back again. I tried Weight Watchers.... many years ago. Lost a lot of weight. Gained it back. Did diet pills, lost 100 lbs. Gained it back. For quite a few years I have tried to do Dr McDougall's program because I worry about heart disease. I can stick to that vegan diet to the letter and I don't lose an ounce. I give up. Low carb has worked for me in the past, so I'm going to give it another try. Last time I did low carb my cholestoral and blood pressure went up too high. On the vegan diet they both went down. That is another one of my concerns about low carb dieting. So I figure either I can eat vegetarian and have good numbers, or I can eat low carb and lose some of this weight. I wish there was an easy answer but I guess there isn't. So many of you folks are successful at low carb eating and your numbers go down. Maybe if I stick with it, mine will too. Anyway, hello... I hope to get to know some of you through this forum.
Anniriki

Kisal
Sun, Feb-22-09, 21:21
Welcome! Glad to meet you! :)

twinkles10
Sun, Feb-22-09, 21:28
Welcome, and glad to meet you. I think you will really like the forum - lots of knowledgeable and friendly folks.

woolybooly
Sun, Feb-22-09, 22:43
what are your triglicerides?

and welcome : )

Anniriki
Mon, Feb-23-09, 08:59
Thanks for your nice responses. I LOVE the quote about giving up on truth and searching for a good fantasy. I'm with you on that one, I'm even reading Inkheart at the moment. Now that's a good fantasy! My triglicerides are ok, can't remember the number, but they were normal. Still, I think all that grain on a vegan diet made my blood sugar go too high because I was always hungry. Diabetes runs in my family, my dad and uncle had it, now my older brother has it, so its just a matter of time before I get it, too. I have read several books that say a low fat vegetarian diet can prevent or even cure diabetes, but if that's true then why is diabetes an epidemic in Asia, India and South America where rice is the main part of their diet? Surely it can't be because McDonalds now has restaurants in those countries. There has to be more too it then that. So what do you folks think is the healthiest low carb diet? The one least likely to give you a heart attack?

Hairballz
Mon, Feb-23-09, 10:52
I don't know of ANY of the LC diets that are likely to give you a heart attack! Quite the opposite is true, actually.

God forbid I should quote Dr. Phil (I don't like him!!), but if you've tried the traditional low-fat thing and not lost any weight and are facing possible diabetes.... "How's that working for you?" You know LC works - you've done it before.

Anniriki
Mon, Feb-23-09, 11:11
Oh how true, low fat vegetarian isn't working at all. Its good to know that low carb is actually very healthy. Sometimes I think nutrition is like religion, everyone thinks their way is the only way. Does most everyone agree that Atkins is the way to go?

Kisal
Mon, Feb-23-09, 12:07
Does most everyone agree that Atkins is the way to go?I don't. Atkins happens to be my favorite plan, but IMO, all legitimate low carb plans are equally effective over the long term. To be most effective, low carb must be a permanent lifestyle change. In order to do that successfully, a person must feel thoroughly comfortable with his/her plan. It must fit the individual's lifestyle and food preferences.

You can investigate some of the other popular plans by clicking this link (http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/), or by visiting your local library. :)

OtherCher2
Mon, Feb-23-09, 12:17
I don't. Atkins happens to be my favorite plan, but IMO, all legitimate low carb plans are equally effective over the long term. To be most effective, low carb must be a permanent lifestyle change. In order to do that successfully, a person must feel thoroughly comfortable with his/her plan. It must fit the individual's lifestyle and food preferences.

You can investigate some of the other popular plans by clicking this link (http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/), or by visiting your local library. :)

Kisal is right...you have to pick the plan that's best for you. Atkins happens to also be my favorite plan because of my severe hypoglycemia. Whichever plan you choose, read the book and research so you know exactly what each step is for the long term.

carolp15
Tue, Feb-24-09, 02:12
Hi, I'm a 60 yr old Brit once again trying to take control of my weight. I am not obese but could be as the weight has been slowly creeping on especially round my middle. I have tried loads of different diets, Weight Watchers being my most successful until I reached goal and then it crept back on again, sound familier? I am aware that fat stored around the stomach is the worst kind for heart related problems so I am going to try the low carb route, Dr Clark, never done it before wish me luck with no side effects!! Good luck to all of you in your diet quests

Annie1gi
Tue, Feb-24-09, 04:36
Welcome to the forums, good luck to you on your journey to better health!!! :wave:

Anniriki
Tue, Feb-24-09, 06:58
Thanks for the link to the diet summaries. I saw that some people are on a program by Dr Dalqvist from Sweden, has anyone tried that one with good success? I know this is a life long change, I've proven that to myself over and over again by regaining lost weight as soon as I add carbs into the mix again. Especially sugar. For me its an addictive poison. I, too, have hypoglycemia, which is actually diabetes waiting to happen. So these changes are necessary and long over due. Thanks for all of your advice and support. It helps more then you can imagine.
Erica :wave:

trishb148
Wed, Feb-25-09, 08:36
Hi and welcome to the forums!

I can't recommend a specific plan for you, but if you're looking for a really good explanation of why LCing is so beneficial for folks at high risk for diabetes, you might want to read the first few chapters of Protein Power by Eades. I finally understood what actually happens when you eat a lot of carbs and it ain't good:) I'm pre-diabetic, so that info really go me back into LC in a hurry!

Trish

ladylaughs
Wed, Feb-25-09, 09:42
Welcome, we are all struggling and we are all here for each other. No matter how many times we keep coming back....