PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, from a gin lover

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jac76
Sun, Feb-22-09, 14:32
I am brand new to this site today. I have been on Atkins since Jan, 09, and started off losing a pound a day!!! was delighted, but its slowing up...

I'm a lover of wine MOST OF ALL, but I think it is causing my weight loss to slow...and gin and diet tonic seems to be acceptable... any1 any thoughts? x

SurfRider
Sun, Feb-22-09, 15:14
Well, This is my 3rd dance with atkins. The first time I lost 70 pounds and drank. I worked out EVERYDAY though. I felt amazing and looked it. I didn't drink the first month though. It took me almost 7 months to lose the weight. This time, I have lost about 30 so far in 1 1/2 months. I have about 60 more and expect it will take me over a year. I drink maybe 2 drinks a week, maybe more if I go dancing. However, the drink effects me so different. More than 1 and I am DRUNK. I used to drink 5 drinks a night by the way. Still love wine but I get massive headacks everytime I drink. On the boarder of migraines. This didn't happen the last time but I think it was because of the intense excersise.

Surfrider

Kisal
Sun, Feb-22-09, 15:17
Welcome! Nice to have you here! :)

Alcohol can slow weight loss for some people.

However, weight loss never continues at the same pace as at the beginning of lc. After the first rapid loss, most people lose about 2 to 8 lbs/month, depending on the amount they still need to lose. Heavier people will lose more pounds each month. There also will be days when you lose, days when you stay the same, and even some days when you gain a bit. It's a good idea to gauge your loss by your measurements or the fit of your clothing, rather than only by the scale.

Best of luck to you. :wave:

jac76
Mon, Feb-23-09, 08:24
thanks guys, can I ask what you are eating mostly? I seem to live on chicken, pork, beef and eggs and cheese, and loads of salad!! Although I genuinely like these foods, I wonder is my protein too high. Thanks

trishb148
Wed, Feb-25-09, 08:20
Hi and welcome!

From what I've read, wine is OK (in moderation) as long as it's dry, but it still has some carbs. I think it's about 1.5 carbs per 4 oz glass. Gin and other hard liquors don't have any carbs. I also wonder (pure speculation) whether drinking might actualliy curb sugar cravings. I used to drink a LOT of vodka - when I gave it up last year, I developed a sweet tooth for the first time in my life - actually that's why I'm back on LC:)

Anyway, go ahead and enjoy that G&T!

Trish

jac76
Thu, Feb-26-09, 07:40
thanks trish...can i ask you what u eat? my appetite has shrunk SO much, and I know one of the golden rules of Atlins is to eat 3 regular meals, but I am struggling. I think if I eat any more eggs I am going to start sprouting feathers and laying eggs myself!!
My diet consists mostly of eggs, bacon, sausages, ham, chicken and cheese, and a lot of salad, but I am struggling to eat 2 small meals a day, and I am trying to train. Have you any thoughts? thanks x

Finola
Thu, Feb-26-09, 08:23
FYI - Tonic water has a good amount of sugar in it. More than 20 carbs per 8 oz. cup.

Buy Diet Tonic Water.

trishb148
Thu, Feb-26-09, 09:40
Hi,

I know what you mean about the eggs - I love eggs, but not at every meal!:) Here's what I've been eating, in the main:

Lean beef (hamburger, small steaks)
Fish (flounder, cod, shrimp - don't like anything too "fishy")
Pork chops
Bacon, sausage, kielbasi, pepperoni
Eggs
Cheese
Veggies: Broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, kale, green beans, salad, V8 juice (1 glass a day only), mushrooms, artichokes, olives, snowpeas; onions, peppers & tomatoes & in moderation
Peanuts (dry-roasted) - I eat way too many of these - gotta watch that mindless munching:)

I'm not on Atkins - I'm doing Protein Power, and keeping an eye on calories, trying not to have more than about 1600 per day. If I don't, I start to slow down. So far, I've lost 14 lbs this month and am starting to exercise in hopes it will keep me losing at a decent rate. Training might help boost your appetite a bit as well - I know it does mine, but I also have trouble eating more than 2 meals a day, plus a snack. I'm not a breakfast person although I know I should be - so I have V8 each morning just to be getting some veggies at least:) I'm going to try to eat something in addition, but I'm just not hungry in the AM.

Since food boredom can set in rather quickly, I've just bought a couple of low-carb cookbooks by Jean Carpender and George Stella. Lots of dishes I'd never thought of - I'll be trying some next week.

BTW, Finola's right about the tonic water - it's got lots of carbs unless it's diet.

Anyway, hope this helps - not sure how many of the above you can have on the Atkins plan, but it seems to be working for me right now. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing and please visit my journal anytime.

Cheers,

Trish

jac76
Fri, Feb-27-09, 07:02
thanx a million, alot of those foods are acceptable on Atkins too..low carb cook book, excellent idea!! May just invest in a couple myself.

Yeah, its only diet tonic that I would drink, not fond of sweet drinks anyway.

Took a chocolate craving last night and went to get a jaffa cake, not sure if you have them where you live, but it is the tiniest little biscuit, allowed on weight watchers, but I checked the carb content and 1 biscuit had 8g!! I couldn't believe it! So had to totally fight the craving ... I am only allowed up to 20g carbs per day.

I have missed breakfast today, but going to have my usual bacon and eggs, or maybe a ham salad for lunch, then go out and walk my 5km. At least the weather is warming up. Chat soon, thanks again x

chele59
Fri, Feb-27-09, 19:25
Don't let anyone fool you - alcohol contains carbs - empty ones - but they still are carbs - and as Dr. Atkins states - alcohol is a staller - its the first "thing" to be used up in the liver -thats were EVERTHING HAPPENS FIRST - in our attemtps to loose weight. Just my opinion.

LittleZu
Fri, Feb-27-09, 19:32
Don't let anyone fool you - alcohol contains carbs - empty ones - but they still are carbs - and as Dr. Atkins states - alcohol is a staller - its the first "thing" to be used up in the liver -thats were EVERTHING HAPPENS FIRST - in our attemtps to loose weight. Just my opinion.

Not all alcohol contains carbs, and alcohol doesn't stall everyone.

I've lost nearly 120 lbs and I've had a drink or two (or three ;) ) every single night since I started Atkins. It may stall some people- but not me. :)