PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle the scale??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

joylorene
Mon, Feb-16-09, 14:29
So I have been exercising for a few months now - usually about 1hr on the treadmill 6 x a week and weight machines 3-4 times a week - yes I do feel good when I exercise and my clothes are getting loose but I just freak out when I weigh myself and I have a gain!!

I usually will always show a gain the next day after a good workout - then it takes a few days to go back down again - it just drives me crazy -

I determine my weightloss by my scale because it is numbers I can actually see - how do I get over this?? It is such a self defeating feeling - or do I just have to put up with it if I'm going to exercise?

tjf9
Tue, Feb-17-09, 11:45
Congratulations on the exercise! You're doing a great thing for your body, if not for the scale.

A lot of people advocate using your measurements as a guage for weightloss in addition to the scale. I'm too lazy for that option, but I think it's good advice. :) I have a bodyfat scale that I use instead. I notice that after a strength session in particular, I'll gain a pound or so, but the bodyfat % goes down. So by watching both numbers, I can still see some progress.

Hairballz
Wed, Feb-18-09, 07:23
Joy, I notice the same phenom - morning after a big workout I'm up a pound. It happens with such consistency that I've basically quit paying that much attention to it. It's sort of a game now - the morning after a workout I step on the digital scale, which takes a second to flash the reading, during which time I'm betting with myself what the weight is. If it's after a workout I just KNOW it'll be up a pound, and it nearly always is. I call it "false" weight, though, a product of the workout, so I don't obsess over it because I know it'll come back down.

I obsess about "unhealthy" weight gains (like in my preLC days when I know I overate the day before), but I don't obsess about false gains linked to healthy habits like working out.

joylorene
Wed, Feb-18-09, 08:48
I need to start thinking that way - false gains - so after I exercise I'll just tell myself it is just that - hey that may help!!

tjf9 - I wish I would've measured myself before - that way I would have that to gauge my progress - just never did it

melibsmile
Wed, Feb-18-09, 14:45
I wish I would've measured myself before - that way I would have that to gauge my progress - just never did it

You can still measure yourself now and use that number for comparison in the future. Obviously it's not a true baseline, but all that matters is the change. I take my measurements every two weeks and I definitely recommend it. :thup:

--Melissa

Eliza_Jazz
Mon, Mar-09-09, 20:22
Your exercise routine sounds excellent - I would surmise that the gain is pure muscle gain which will work for your benefit in the long run (muscle is tons more metabolically active than fat).

I agree with those who suggested measuring yourself. Also, a body fat monitor (a stand-alone or as a part of a scale) should help see if your body fat is decreasing.

Eliza

suebee2
Tue, Mar-10-09, 15:08
That happened to me today. I have been training for a triathlon and lifting, I try and weigh myself once a week. I had a big workout session yesterday and today (my weigh day) I had only lost 1/2 a pound from last week... :( But I feel better. I'll weigh myself in a few days.