PDA

View Full Version : New and a little nervous

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ckitty79
Mon, Feb-16-09, 07:12
Today is my first day on Atkins and I am already trying to put it off until tomorrow. I figured I had better join a forum of some kind and seek support. Also, I think the accountability to others will help me as well. I am a mother of a beautiful 17 month old girl. I have been struggling with my weight since during my pregnancy. I gained over 15 lbs in Clomid and then an addition 60 during my pregnancy due to poor eating habits and bed rest. I am currently at 150 and want to get back down to 118 (pre-Clomid weight). I am going shopping today to get food for the week, so wish me luck. As far as excise goes, my sister-in-law and I do turbo jam twice a week. I need to add at least one additional day to my routine. Is anyone else on Atkins? Anyone else have an excise routine that has worked? Also, I am curious about times to weigh myself, and with or without clothes?

perfectfit
Mon, Feb-16-09, 08:50
Today is my first day on Atkins and I am already trying to put it off until tomorrow. I figured I had better join a forum of some kind and seek support. Also, I think the accountability to others will help me as well. I am a mother of a beautiful 17 month old girl. I have been struggling with my weight since during my pregnancy. I gained over 15 lbs in Clomid and then an addition 60 during my pregnancy due to poor eating habits and bed rest. I am currently at 150 and want to get back down to 118 (pre-Clomid weight). I am going shopping today to get food for the week, so wish me luck. As far as excise goes, my sister-in-law and I do turbo jam twice a week. I need to add at least one additional day to my routine. Is anyone else on Atkins? Anyone else have an excise routine that has worked? Also, I am curious about times to weigh myself, and with or without clothes?

Welcome to the forums. Many people here are on Atkins. Have a look around and no need to be nervous. This is a friendly place with a lot of great info. Check out the exercise forums here for info on exercise.

I also heard you should weigh yourself first thing in the morning, right after going to the washrom. Personally, I think that time is best.

Good luck. Turbo jam sounds fun. :wave:

Solitaire
Mon, Feb-16-09, 10:39
I am going shopping today to get food for the week, so wish me luck.
Good luck! And definitely go shopping. I've found that it's much harder for me to "put off" starting if I have a fridge stocked with LC foods and no carby crap in sight.

I'd also chime in with the idea of weighing once a week, in the morning, without clothes. I'd also advise you to stay off the scale in those first few days if you think that you'll be discouraged if you don't see an immediate loss. And don't get too hung up on the numbers. The progress you make in a pair of too-tight pants is usually the best judge!

Kisal
Mon, Feb-16-09, 13:27
Welcome to the forums! It's nice to have you with us! :wave:

Natkins
Mon, Feb-16-09, 13:43
Hi!
I do Atkins, and have for almost a year and a half, and I LOVE IT!!!

My advice?
Start with the foods that you really like, whether that's steak for dinner and bacon for bfast (me :) ) or seafood or whatever fatty decadent things you like. Browse the recipes here - there's some good stuff, but I'd stay away from the "substitute" recipes - like lc breads or desserts. Sticking with whole foods that are naturally lc helps me to get into the groove any time I stray or stop losing.

As for the scale, I like to weigh every morning. As long as you're consistent about it, you can do it clothed or not - personally I always weigh after getting dressed and ready for the day.

Best of luck, this board will be great encouragement, there are a lot of Atkins fans :)

black57
Mon, Feb-16-09, 13:50
I have been on Atkins for 6 years. I am in it for life because the food is so good. I know it is easy for me to say but, don't be scared...enjoy and good luck on your journey.

Mary

Bevaboo
Mon, Feb-16-09, 16:47
Don't be nervous; you're gonna do great!

Are you doing this by yourself (i.e. no one else in the house is doing Atkins)? I had my husband for support and to reel me in when I was tempted. And he had me.

I know the horror of Clomid. My best friend used it many times to try to conceive. And wouldn't you know it? She actually got pregnant when they went to Australia to visit his parents and weren't even trying. Go figure.

Anyway, I wish you much success!

blumunz
Tue, Feb-17-09, 12:58
welcome and good luck

Chunky80
Tue, Feb-17-09, 13:38
Wecome I'm new too and also doing Atkins...today is Day 4 for me...I like the forums and everyone is support and has great advice..I love the newbie question area.

Bevaboo
Tue, Feb-17-09, 14:22
I forgot to mention on the exercise. I've tried a zillion different workouts. I think that it really depends on your personality what you really like. And your circumstances what's possible to do.

I have a more laid-back approach to exercise. Being the most uncoordinated human in all of God's creation probably has more than a little to do with that. I hated Turbo Jam; was way too fast for me. BUT, I love slow, methodical types of exercise like yoga, Pilates, Callanetics, Tai Chi, etc. You can try one of those, but if they're too slow paced for your liking, T-tapp is similar, but with a little more action. What about Leslie Sansone? (You can test drive any of these by checking out a YouTube video.)

Or, if you've got the spare cash, go to a gym and see what they might advise. Gyms have all sorts of fun, aerobic-y classes, like step, spin, mine had all kinds of aquatic classes.

LittleZu
Tue, Feb-17-09, 14:22
Hi and welcome to the forums! Don't be nervous, you're going to do fine. :) And don't put it off- be excited to jump on the wagon!

National G
Tue, Feb-17-09, 14:41
Welcome, and you will do just fine. I've just been here a couple of weeks, and it so nice that people drop by to add encouraging words.
I wish you good-luck!