PDA

View Full Version : How much cardio for you "Guys"?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Marcia Mae
Sun, Feb-01-09, 09:56
DH and I have been low carbing for 6 months. I've lost about 24% of my body weight and he has lost about 16%. We have both been eating the same, we both lift weights, but only I do cardio - running on the treadmill 4 days a week. He lifts weights ALL the time, I keep telling him to hop on my treadmill, or take the dogs for a walk, but he doen't think any cardio is going to help him loose weight. He's been stalled for a month or so, and he doesn't think he can get lower than 249. He is starting to come around with the treadmil suggestion. My question is, how much cardio and what kind does a 250 pound man need to jump start the weight loss? He's not a runner, so walking and stationary biking are his only options. At what intensity and for how long would you guys suggest?

BringIt
Sun, Feb-01-09, 10:53
I normally do 45minutes to an hour of Cardio - 4 Days a week - M/T/W/Th - With Weightlifting on Tuesday and Thursday - But I plan to start lifting a little more sometime soon.

I do running intervals - Normally walk 4.0 mph then Run 6.5 normally .25 of a mile walk - .25 of a mile run - If he doesnt want to run have him walk at 3.8 at a 5-10% incline. That gets really hard after 10 minutes or so.

I also throw in this Crazy stairstepper machine where its really stairs on a conveyor belt. I normally do intervals on that too for 10 -15 minutes - This kicks your ass after running.

Then sometimes Ill throw in 10-15 minutes on the Bike doing Intervals as well - It seems I like intervals.

awriter
Sun, Feb-01-09, 11:10
DH and I have been low carbing for 6 months. I've lost about 24% of my body weight and he has lost about 16%.
An equally if not more valid question would be: how much body fat did each of you lose?

he doen't think any cardio is going to help him lose weight.
Sorry to say this - but he's right. As Gary Taubes has said (and shown to be scientifically accurate in his book, Good Calories, Bad Calories): "Exercise does nothing for weight loss except make you hungry." This isn't to say that exercise doesn't do other great things for you - it does - but because of adaptive thermogenesis it does NOT make you lose weight.

Losing body fat, on the other hand, is different. That can be accomplished with exercise, but it's not cardio, which can actually at times prevent body fat loss. The exercise that is best, scientifically speaking, for getting the cardiovascular system in great shape and for burning stored body fat, is resistance training, aka weight lifting.

If your husband is at a plateau, weight-wise, it does not mean he is at a plateau in terms of body fat loss. In fact, since lean muscle mass weighs more than fat, he may well be 'slimmer' than you.

Additionally, he may be under the misapprehension that he needs carbs in order to 'build muscle' with his weight training. This is not correct, but many body builders believe it. As a result, he may well not be eating enough fat, and may be eating too many carbs. That would certainly slow down his weight (and even fat) loss - but that's easily changed, if so.

You both may want to read Slow Burn Revolution by Fred Hahn, and do additional Googleing on this topic of why weight training is best for cardiovascular fitness and burning stored body fat. And then give him a pat on the back for doing the right thing. :)

Lisa

Marcia Mae
Sun, Feb-01-09, 17:33
Thank you BringIt, I think he is going to start doing the same walking/running intervals (mostly walking though). BTW, your weight loss is phenomenal. Nice work!

I don't want this thread to turn into another rediculous "cardio is useless" thread. I am looking for advice from anyone else who agrees cardio is in fact good for you. I KNOW, through experience cardio helps loose fat. We never had our body fat tested, but my waist measurment is 29", dh's is 53" - he's at a very high risk of heart disease. His eating is clean, we basically eat the same since I do the cooking. I never said he thought he needed more carbs for "building muscle" - not sure where awriter got that from.

I tried talking him into trying slow burn, but he laughed that idea. He's stubborn into believing he's getting all his fitness needs with benching and tricept extensions-at max weights.

kbfunTH
Sun, Feb-01-09, 21:51
well, if he's not gaining or losing, then any amount of extra work should start him losing again.

Hairballz
Mon, Feb-02-09, 08:12
Even though I agree exercise is not going to induce weight loss, I still do it for the cardiac/general health benefits. I know that since starting my exercise regimen several years ago my BP has lowered (averages about 90/70), my heart rate has lowered, I'm significantly stronger, especailly in my core/abdominal areas, and every day tasks that require any amount of stamina and/or strength are just tons easier now.

Beyond that, I look at my parents, who are both alive but in their mid-80's and just have so much difficulty getting around, primarily due to a lack of basic muscle/conditioning. So I work out with an eye toward staying independent/mobile/able as I get older (I'm pushing 50 right now).

Besides, recent studies have shown that people who exercise to lose weight, versus people who exercise to stay healthy, are doomed to quit eventually, because it just doesn't pay off in terms of weight loss. But people who do it to stay healthy DO stay with it, because that's definitely where the dividends are.

Citruskiss
Sun, Feb-15-09, 13:19
well, if he's not gaining or losing, then any amount of extra work should start him losing again.

I agree with this 100%.

I'm not a 'guy', but I found myself blasting through a stall in weight loss just by adding in daily walks. At first, I told myself that I just had to walk for half an hour a day, with no requirement to make it super-fast or anything like that. Leisurely walks around the block a few times counted. This is what it took to get me to do it. Make it seem easy. The daily/several times weekly commitment was and is more important to me than the intensity, especially just starting out.

Next thing I knew, I was walking an hour to an hour and a half on most days - my pants got very loose and the weight loss picked up again (within a couple of days!). And they are still my 'easy-peasy' walks.

I'd suggest starting with daily easy and simple walks. Not with the intention of making it all "cardio-ish". This *will* make a difference! It did for my husband too. Within three weeks, my husband was down a jeans size. Just from walking (in conjunction with a low-carb eating plan). In fact, don't even mention the 'cardio' part - maybe just suggest evening walks as a family or something like that. My husband and I have our very best conversations on these walks, which is another nice benefit.

Marcia Mae
Sun, Feb-15-09, 14:33
He still hasn't got on the treadmill, it's his choice. He is benching a little more heavy, spending more time on the weights. He has dropped a few more pounds, so what he is doing is working. He would rather spend more time with weights than add time on cardio. Whatever works, any extra "anything" will make a difference. Once the weather gets better and the snow melts, we will start walking the dogs outside again as a family and take our daily family bike rides. That will really jump start both of us, I'm sure. We tend to hibernate in the winter. I can't wait til spring.

kbfunTH
Sun, Feb-15-09, 23:02
.............people who exercise to lose weight, ..............., because it just doesn't pay off in terms of weight loss...........

Absolutely not true. If you quite because you didn't get the weight loss results you wanted, you didn't know what you were doing, or you didn't fully commit to doing it in the first place. Sure, it's not all about exercise, but it is a legitimate part of it.

Marcia Mae
Mon, Feb-16-09, 08:11
I agree with kbfunTH, exercise is a legitimate part of losing weight, and I don't care what NEW study comes out to bash exercise for weight loss. In my personal experiences/struggles, every attempt I have made at losing weight, I was only successfull then I exercised. The times I failed or just gave up because I didn't see results, was when I didn't exercise. Thats all the proof I need.

neverwhere
Mon, Feb-16-09, 11:02
Absolutely not true. If you quite because you didn't get the weight loss results you wanted, you didn't know what you were doing, or you didn't fully commit to doing it in the first place. Sure, it's not all about exercise, but it is a legitimate part of it.

I 100% agree with this.

You cannot convince me otherwise. I know how I feel and what I look like after two months of vigorous excercise, including cardio AND lifting/resistance training.

Eating is of primary importance, but excercise is also key.

Marcia Mae
Wed, Feb-18-09, 21:51
Well...just an update on hubby's progress. He sure proved me wrong, I am a little embarrassed :o

He has not done any cardio since I first started this thread, but he has been lifting on a daily basis now (we lift together at night now). Anyway, I saw him drilling some new holes in his belts, so we re-measured his belly and he is now 47". That is amazing, he went from 53" to 47"!!!!!!!! That is crazy! He hasn't lost anymore weight on the scale, but who cares. He's glad now that I had measured him in the first place, he was getting a little discouraged from the scale, but the tape measure does not lie.

I think I am going to take it easy on the treadmil for a while and hit the weights harder.

girlbug2
Wed, Feb-18-09, 21:57
I agree with this 100%.

I'm not a 'guy', but I found myself blasting through a stall in weight loss just by adding in daily walks. At first, I told myself that I just had to walk for half an hour a day, with no requirement to make it super-fast or anything like that. Leisurely walks around the block a few times counted. This is what it took to get me to do it. Make it seem easy. The daily/several times weekly commitment was and is more important to me than the intensity, especially just starting out.

Next thing I knew, I was walking an hour to an hour and a half on most days - my pants got very loose and the weight loss picked up again (within a couple of days!). And they are still my 'easy-peasy' walks.

I'd suggest starting with daily easy and simple walks. Not with the intention of making it all "cardio-ish". This *will* make a difference! It did for my husband too. Within three weeks, my husband was down a jeans size. Just from walking (in conjunction with a low-carb eating plan). In fact, don't even mention the 'cardio' part - maybe just suggest evening walks as a family or something like that. My husband and I have our very best conversations on these walks, which is another nice benefit.

Walking is great...just a thought however...you were also getting sunlight on those walks? Extra vitamin D, could have jump started your weight loss, not necessarily the cardio.

Citruskiss
Wed, Feb-18-09, 22:57
Walking is great...just a thought however...you were also getting sunlight on those walks? Extra vitamin D, could have jump started your weight loss, not necessarily the cardio.

This is a good point - and I've been trying to make sure I take my vitamin D3 supplement lately, especially given that some of my 'exercise' now takes place at the gym at 6:00am (in the dark) instead of walking in the sunshine.

I think there's something to this vitamin D thing - and while I haven't been consistent with the supplements, I can tell there's a big difference.

And yes - those walks were mid-day (winter), late afternoon (spring) or early morning (summer). Lotsa sunshine. More than I'd been getting. So yeah, this definitely could have something to do with it too.

Jayseem
Thu, Feb-19-09, 06:29
Hello, I am like your DH and right now I am hovering around 254 while pretty much staying on plan. I do have a Nordic Track ski machine that I have had for 15+ years and just started using it again after a 12 year hiatus. I like the Nordic because it is low tech and I get a leg workout as well as arm workouts all in one session. The cardio response is very quick when I am using both legs and arms. Right now my daily goal is 30 minutes a day everyday. Some days are better than others, so if I hit 30 minutes I am doing well.

Even though I am hovering this month in the weight department I can feel a difference in how my clothes fit.

Another plus for the Nordic Track is that I see them on Craigslist for under $50.00. I paid over $500.00 for mine.

awriter
Thu, Feb-19-09, 09:19
Well...just an update on hubby's progress. He sure proved me wrong. I think I am going to take it easy on the treadmil for a while and hit the weights harder.
Congrats to DH - and to you too, for seeing the light. :) Yes, he's lost a lot of inches around the waist - over 10%!!! - but if you do stop the treadmill and hit the weights harder, you are going to be very pleased with your results in a very short time.

One warning, and one suggestion:

Warning: Please do not freak out if you gain a few pounds within a few weeks of serious weight training. It's NOT fat, it's water your muscles and other tissues need to help repair themselves. And it's also blood volume, because as your muscles grow more dense they require a lot more fuel (good news: that will be stored body fat!), and new blood vessels will grow around the muscle to deliver that fuel. You may add a few pounds, but I guarantee you will lose inches and look (and be) a lot slimmer.

Suggestion: If you haven't already, check out Slow Burn from the library and come and join our discussions in the Advanced/High Intensity and Buddies, Challenges section. Let us know how you're doing.

Lisa

Romulas
Thu, Mar-05-09, 13:31
I have to disagree from personal expereince. About 10 or so years ago I went from 315 to 195 in one summer doing atkins and riding a bike. I did ride a lot, but 10 years later it is back and then some.

Citruskiss
Thu, Mar-05-09, 14:59
Well...just an update on hubby's progress. He sure proved me wrong, I am a little embarrassed :o

He has not done any cardio since I first started this thread, but he has been lifting on a daily basis now (we lift together at night now). Anyway, I saw him drilling some new holes in his belts, so we re-measured his belly and he is now 47". That is amazing, he went from 53" to 47"!!!!!!!! That is crazy! He hasn't lost anymore weight on the scale, but who cares. He's glad now that I had measured him in the first place, he was getting a little discouraged from the scale, but the tape measure does not lie.

I think I am going to take it easy on the treadmil for a while and hit the weights harder.

I just noticed this post - and just wanted to say 'thank you' for posting this update. I'm *brand new* to weight training, and hearing these things are helpful and motivating :)

Wow - that's quite a difference in belly inches - I bet he's thrilled about this, as you must be too. Excellent!

deeyounee
Thu, Mar-05-09, 15:05
Congrats to DH - and to you too, for seeing the light. :) Yes, he's lost a lot of inches around the waist - over 10%!!! - but if you do stop the treadmill and hit the weights harder, you are going to be very pleased with your results in a very short time.

One warning, and one suggestion:

Warning: Please do not freak out if you gain a few pounds within a few weeks of serious weight training. It's NOT fat, it's water your muscles and other tissues need to help repair themselves. And it's also blood volume, because as your muscles grow more dense they require a lot more fuel (good news: that will be stored body fat!), and new blood vessels will grow around the muscle to deliver that fuel. You may add a few pounds, but I guarantee you will lose inches and look (and be) a lot slimmer.

Suggestion: If you haven't already, check out Slow Burn from the library and come and join our discussions in the Advanced/High Intensity and Buddies, Challenges section. Let us know how you're doing.

Lisa

Great Explanation, perhaps this is why i have seen a weight gain in the past couple of days. I have been working out pretty hard this past week. Hard enough that my arms, legs and abs are all sore lol. I haven't being using the bathroom very much (#1 nor #2) But to be honest i noticed that im going to have to put another hole in my belt! Not to mention my girlfriend looked at me in the mall yesterday and said wow you look so much slimmer :D

Dave28
Thu, Mar-05-09, 20:30
Maybe a little off track here, but I get bored to death on the treadmill. I do better outside in the spring on through fall. Last time I lost weight (before lc) I walked about 45 minutes a day after my weight training.

jschwab
Thu, Mar-05-09, 21:35

I've been wondering about this today (it was sunny and warm, woo hoo). I don't drive and walk everywhere so I'm outside a lot more than your average person and running makes me gain. I wonder if the people who lose weight when they start running or walking outside are really benefitting from the Vitamin D.