PDA

View Full Version : New, needing kindness!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

BookGoddes
Wed, Jan-21-09, 00:00
I just jumped over here from another low-carb support board. I badly need support, but not just cold facts, I need kindness. I do not think that is too much to ask for, facts and knowing there is another human being communicating with me that has a heart. Do you think it is? Am I asking too much?

I am certain it is not just my body that needs support, but my mind and spirit as well so I can lose and keep this weight off.

So here I am! 222lbs, a mother of three, and Army wife, homeschool mama, and part time researcher. I am really rather crunchy in life style but clearly my body is rather fluffy. Hard to save the world when people can look at you and see that you over consume at least food while asking them recycle! LOL

I am doing Atkins, and I have hope. I do not think I have lost any weight the last 4 days but I am not cheating and soon as I stop feeling so crappy about the induction and my head hurting, I will get back to working out. Thats the hardest for me, the working out part.

Not alone?

AZDweller
Wed, Jan-21-09, 01:33
You're not alone. Not by a long shot. Look at some of the titles of the posts in the "new posts" category. My favorite -- "What is the meanest thing anyone has called you?" Most of us have endured more than our share of pain, and it's been a battle we've faced most of our life.

Start a journal if you wish -- sometimes people will see similarities and drop by to support you. Or start an exercise log if you want. Or join a challenge that seems realistic (boy, did I blow it with the 50 # challenge last year!!). 15 # by the end of the fiscal year is a lot more realistic for me. Dig around. There is some incredible advice, and a bunch of people that have saved me from myself numerous times. When I screw up, I no longer have the urge to eat a half gallon of ice cream or a box of donuts to add injury to insult. I just start over at my next meal.

Good luck. Yes, you will find kindness. As in any board, there are some people who want to criticize. They want to group everyone into their plan and criticize those who take a different path. Take the good, discard what doesn't work for you. Work your plan and realize LC isn't short-term, but a life-changing decision.

Hope that helps and isn't too preachy. Guess it's time to get off my soapbox and go to sleep!

Kisal
Wed, Jan-21-09, 01:39
Welcome to the forums! It's nice to meet you! :wave:

addict1000
Wed, Jan-21-09, 05:35
Welcome!

I am a homeschooling mom too. It is really hard to get it all done isn't it? Plus I am married to a former Navy guy.

Take a breath and relax....this is going to be a lifelong journey toward health and well being. The induction flu feelings will go away soon. Just rest for now until you feel better. Don't overdo it.

If you really want to begin a work out routine then start once you feel better. I have lost weight without working out. There is no need to kill yourself over it. Excercise can even slow weight loss down for some people. Of course excercise is good ...but be kind to yourself. That is the first step. Love yourself....that is much more than we can give you here on a message board :)

:bhug: welcome! :wave:

ErinRN
Wed, Jan-21-09, 07:05
BookGoddes - Hun you are not alone. We are all here for you. This is s great place to come as we understand the struggles with losing weight.
You are a caregiver, caring for your children, husband and the stressors of being a military family. I appreciate the support you give to your country.
So now it is time for you! I have been here awhile and everyone has been great. I too have come from a different site!

Hugs!

Spartan76
Wed, Jan-21-09, 07:52
Hey BookGoddes

Hang in there honey, I was 240lbs, I've been on Atkins for 16 days and lost 13lbs so far. I know from a previous attempt that some weeks, the weight stays where it is. Sometimes, you've even higher carb food without realising, sometimes you need to really be careful or even drop the carb intake a little bit more.

The main thing I want to say to you is this. Stop weighing yourself so often. Every seven days is fine, don't expect your body to be consistent, be strict with yourself about the weighing and then you won't get upset if you don't make small gains all the time.

You're going to obtain your goal, just pace yourself, be kind to yourself and ignore anyone else.

BookGoddes
Wed, Jan-21-09, 13:53
Thank you all so much! I have always said that I would fallow my husband around and be his support until he is done with military time. It seems I need to focus on myself a big before that as it turns out because if I keep getting bigger, I will not be able to enjoy his retirement with him.

He is such a hotty too! :) What I would give to be able to keep up with him and the children!

Going to post now about things I think I might not be doing right on induction! Like atkins products..... grumbles.

ruthla
Wed, Jan-21-09, 14:00
:wave:

How old are the kids you're homeschooling? I'm homeschooling both daughters this year, although my son is enrolled in school. He's on vacation this week, though, and is currently playing quite loudly with a classmate who's visiting! :lol:

BookGoddes
Wed, Jan-21-09, 15:51
At the moment homeschooling my 9 year old daughter and trying to keep the 3 year old and 1 year old happy too! LOL And someday I want to bring a 4th baby into the mix, chances are, just when these too are school age, you know, to keep me on my toes! LOL

I must say, it would really be wonderful to teach and focus on the lesson and not so many other things! It must be nice at your house? :)

ruthla
Wed, Jan-21-09, 16:01
Yeah, right, like the 12yo and 14yo actually agree on anything, or learn at the same level? :lol:

Actually, my biggest issue right now is that the 12yo THINKS she can keep up with her sister's schoolwork, and gets very upset if we procede without her. But she's got some special needs and there are times when she simply can't focus. OK, no problem, that's the primary reasons she's not in school, so things can move at her pace. But then she throws tantrums if I want to do some bookwork with my older one! She's been effectively preventing me from working with the older on whenever she's unable to focus.

We vascilate between doing formal math and science lessons, and "being unschooly"- letting them work on various knitting/crochet/crafts projects, independent reading, etc. Things only get hairy when the older one wants to spend time on focused academics.