PDA

View Full Version : New here, but not to Atkins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

deeyounee
Mon, Jan-19-09, 23:18
Hey all, I joined this forum and have easily become increasingly optimistic about the road ahead of me.

First, let me say, I have been a big kid my whole life, It didn't matter if I was active or not, being skinny, just wasn't in my cards.

In September, a friend of mine went on a d-tox called Wild Rose. I watched him struggle finding recipes to eat, and to avoid temptation, and i thought to myself I could do this no problem. It was that day that I decided I would take control of my life and get healthy. Of course i Procrastinated until the first of January :lol:

So January 1st comes around and I decided the first thing for me to do is to detoxify my body, and rid it of all of the bad stuff from the disgusting junk I have filled it with over the years. I started on the Wild Rose D-Tox, which was very difficult to find food to eat because you're not allowed sauces of any kind. Very bland stuff, alas, i made it through the 12 pills a day, and 30 drops of putrid potion into my water. And ever Since i have found that i feel exceptional. My main problem with food has always been chips and pop. I used to eat a large bag of chips if i was hungry or if i was veggin out in front of the tube. I tried atkins when i was in junior high and lost about 30lbs. I felt great and I had the support of all my friends and family, but i found it extremely difficult to keep up because I was so young and at the time the resources were not as vast as they are. I ended up quitting so I could enjoy everything everyone else was. Sorry Im all over the place there, im just very anxious about the road ahead of me.

Unfortunately I have yet to take the time to do the big weigh in, (actually thats a lie, i tried an electronic scale but it says im too heavy to weigh) After that happened I've felt too ashamed to even try to find out how much i weigh, but im starting to think its in the 365-375 range. (6'1") After the Detox I started Atkins/Low Carb. (Wednesday January 14th 2009) Starting on the 12th of January I started doing 250-500 Crunchies a day. 20-30 Minutes of cardio and 20-30 minutes of weight training. (M-F) I haven't been active in the last 3 years so it has been tough, but I already feel great and am very optimistic for my goals. I have always had a slow metabolism so i started taking some green tea pills when i wake up and half hour before i work out. I find it gives me the extra energy to push my hardest to reach my goals. I am having a hard time eating breakfast as i havent been a regular breakfast eater for over 6 years but now I am trying to get into the groove. So far my breakfast of choice has been an Atkins Shake, which really suppresses my appetite until mid day. At lunch i try to have a salad with some chicken, and then for dinner, i try to have some protein and some approved vegetables. At this point 6 days in, i have eaten an average of 7 net carbs/day.

Theres no slowing for me, although I want the Doritos, Pizza, Pasta, Cake etc. I'm doing this to be healthy and look great.

My Goal Ideally and please tell me if its realistic because i am hoping it is, is to lose 100lbs in the next 6 months. I know this wont be easy but i am going to try my hardest to reach this goal and prove everyone out there that as long as you have the desire to do something you can achieve it.

Being fat has always limited so many things that I have wanted to do. Often I have even pretended not to want to do something because i feel my weight constraints will cause an incident that will scar my self confidence.

While im posting i wanted to ask some questions about Diet Pop and No Sugar Candies. I have always been a heavy pop drinker, and I have replaced the pop with Water (about 10 cups a day) I would like to enjoy a can or two of Diet Cola or Sparking Juice daily, will this slow me down? Also, I bought some candies from Russel Stover assuming I am to Subtract the Sugar Alcohols from the total carb count to get the net carbs is this right? I have always been into sweets, so having one or two of these a day will really keep me at bay. I am open for all suggestions and advice, so please let me know your personal experience in this field.

So Here i Stand, Middle Of January, ready to fly to Cali in June and Drive back in an S2000. Do I have your support?

Kisal
Tue, Jan-20-09, 03:49
Welcome! Nice to have you aboard! :)

You'll find a lot of information, support and encouragement here. :wave:

addict1000
Tue, Jan-20-09, 04:05
Welcome to the board! Glad that you found us.

As to your questions....some people can tolerate diet sodas and others can't. I have no problem with them. I think that fewer people can eat the SF candies without stalls and troubles. They are also very upsetting to most people's digestive system.

Just run a little experiment on yourself and see if your weight loss slows or not :)

Best wishes for success :)

deeyounee
Tue, Jan-20-09, 14:16
Thanks for the information, I'll see if anything changes in the next week or two, i am currently enjoying a Diet Dr.Pepper with my tuna for lunch.

Just booked a trip to vegas at the end of March, hoping to cut down 50 lbs before then.

Mousesmom
Tue, Jan-20-09, 14:23
Welcome to the forum - glad you found us here!

Don't worry about the scale for the time being. Focus on how you feel and take measurements to track your progress.

You can do this!

Julie

deeyounee
Tue, Jan-20-09, 14:35
Hi Julie thanks.

Funny thing is that since i started atkins i have been wearing my belt 2 holes tighter. (on the last hole now) Which means soon enough I'll be switching to a new Belt, hell, even to new pants!

Can't wait to share my success and bask in my self appreciation!

deeyounee
Tue, Jan-20-09, 19:55
Well Folks, today i reached a personal Exercise Milestone.

I stayed on the Eliptical for 25 minutes!

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/6300/elipticalit1.jpg

I stepped off at 25 minutes because my feet started to tingle lol, otherwise i would have kept going.

When I first started working out I couldn't even stay on the eliptical for more than 2 minutes. Now that im up to 25 minutes in just 7 days of exercising i feel absolutely fabulous.

When it feels this good to exercise I cant help but want to continue to succeed