PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kimbar69
Sun, Jan-18-09, 17:36
:) Hello I am new to the site and I am looking for support for this new journey of mine. I am 39 years old and a mother of 3. My kids are 21, 18 and 14 so it won't be long before I have an empty nest. I want to be healthy and fit and I want it to happen before I am 40!!! I tried Atkins years ago and lost a few pounds but don't think I did it right and I gave up pretty quick. I have been a yo yo dieter forever...These last 10 years my husband has been listening patiently to the latest diet etc. etc. I am sick of myself. Sick of thinking about what goes in my mouth and letting it control me. I only end up rebeling in the long run if something isn't working the way I think it should. I recently quit smoking after 25 years so if I can do that I should be able to shed these darn 40lbs of mine. It seems every year I lose 25lbs and can't get any farther and then end up gaining most of it back. :confused: I cannot let this happen agian!!! Last year it was Nutrisystem the year before that I was going to a diet dr. and getting pills. As soon as I stop these things I gain it back pretty darn quick. I have got to stop this rollercoaster and I am hoping to find my answers here.

Kisal
Sun, Jan-18-09, 18:05
Welcome! It's nice to have you with us! :wave:

lpioch
Sun, Jan-18-09, 18:12
Welcome!

Low Carbing is the only option that I can imagine myself eating for the rest of my life. I think that is key. Find something that you can LIVE with (not just do for a certain amount of weeks/months).

I'm not perfect at maintaining. And this is by far the longest I have waited to "lose the baby pounds". I did it before/after each child. We have our 3rd...and she's FOUR YEARS OLD now.

But after awhile, you gain a whole stockpile of recipes. You learn how to eat out. You learn at least how to maintain instead of gain. But it still is work. It still is denial. It's just BY FAR less denial (for me) than any other of the many diets I have tried in my life.

So welcome to the forums. I find they give me tremendous amount of strength....and knowledge...and support.

addict1000
Mon, Jan-19-09, 04:34
Welcome kimbar, :wave:

I totally agree about the importance of getting to a point where you control what goes in your body and the food does not control you!

That feeling is what really got me going on this sucessful run at LC that I have been on.

Best wishes on meeting your goals. Go by the book....don't cheat and learn what is best for your body.

:)

doit4me
Mon, Jan-19-09, 11:34
From one newbie to another :wave:

Mousesmom
Mon, Jan-19-09, 11:48
Welcome to the forum. I know what you mean about empty nest looming - my DD will be 20 next month!! I'm 41.

Best of luck on your new WOL.

Julie

kimbar69
Mon, Jan-19-09, 19:38
Thanks y'all... so far so good except I must admit that after each meal I still want something sweet. I am not giving into it but just like the smokes (nicotine) I recently put down I am going to have to let the sugar leave my body and forget about it. I wonder how long that will take? I also wonder if chewing the sugar free gum is hurting or helping at this point?? Anyone else have any ideas on this?

doit4me
Mon, Jan-19-09, 21:53
Thanks y'all... so far so good except I must admit that after each meal I still want something sweet. I am not giving into it but just like the smokes (nicotine) I recently put down I am going to have to let the sugar leave my body and forget about it. I wonder how long that will take? I also wonder if chewing the sugar free gum is hurting or helping at this point?? Anyone else have any ideas on this?

Me-too! I picked up some SF Trident Spearmint w/Xylitol. It has 1 carb and 5 calories. I am normally not a gum chewer but I almost immediately had a sugar crave 1/2 way into the first day and decided to pick some up.

kimbar69
Tue, Jan-20-09, 10:48
Me-too! I picked up some SF Trident Spearmint w/Xylitol. It has 1 carb and 5 calories. I am normally not a gum chewer but I almost immediately had a sugar crave 1/2 way into the first day and decided to pick some up.

Even though it has the Xylitol it still has aspertame... I can't find anything without it!!! :help: wish I could though... I have to have my gum right now. lol I have done okay today only had one piece so hopefully I can wean myself off it too. But man giving up my cigs, sugar and gum in just a few short weeks is almost more than a girl can handle...

blumunz
Tue, Jan-20-09, 11:40
I too am chewing sugar free gum. I even tried this fruit - berry flavor and I dont normally chew fruity gums. OH well, Maybe before too long I can kick that one to the curb too. I'm trying to be strong today. Someone brought in a pineapple upside down cake (which I love) and I am resisting the urge. ( I say am resisting because I refuse to eat it versus trying to restist) which implies I might not beat the urge. Ughhh some people should be tarred and feathered........

doit4me
Tue, Jan-20-09, 12:07
Even though it has the Xylitol it still has aspertame... I can't find anything without it!!! :help: wish I could though... I have to have my gum right now. lol I have done okay today only had one piece so hopefully I can wean myself off it too. But man giving up my cigs, sugar and gum in just a few short weeks is almost more than a girl can handle...

I know what you are going through...I was a smoker for 20+ yrs. and quit cold turkey several years ago.
You can do it! :)

kimbar69
Tue, Jan-20-09, 13:55
I am lucky to have my job right here at home with me... my little guy I take care of is such a joy and he doesn't know about junk food yet. My kids are hating me right now and I banished my husbands chocolate but they will get over it I am the Queen of this house!!! So what do you guys eat for a snack??? I am on here trying to find something new... I am only on day 3 and already want something different to munch. Had bacon and eggs for breakfast and pork chop and salad for lunch... munched on some garlic pepper wings I made and although my fridge is full of meat I am in need of something else...

blumunz
Tue, Jan-20-09, 14:19
what about some vegies and ranch dip?? or some celery and cheese??
or are you wanting something sweet?? or salty??
guess it depends on which you are craving

NrgQuest
Tue, Jan-20-09, 18:09
I make egg pizzas for meals or snacks (meal version is bigger), I beat a couple of eggs, put them on a criscoed plate. Cook them til nearly done(sometimes a small spot is still wet) top with spaghetti sauce(yeah I know it has a bit of sugar in it) mozzerella cheese and pepperoni.

or I will have 14 or so almonds, but not more than 28, 28 is about an ounce.

I have also had protien shakes for snacks, I add a bit of flavor, powdered milk and a couple teaspoons of psyllium. I am still working on different flavors and such, but what I described really takes the edge off, I just have to remember it isn't calorie free like diet soda, it packs a pretty good calorie punch, but lots of protein and calcium too, so I just have to remember not to over do meals.

dawnyama
Wed, Jan-21-09, 07:49
Welcome to the forums! This is a great group over here. For my snacks I have been on a deviled egg kick lately. I just love them. I don't have eggs for breakfast, I have a shake, so I don't overdo the eggs. I now that it can get to that point. Also dips are good to have with pork rinds. I have a crab dip recipe as well as pizza dip recipe. I also have some canned tuna mixed with mayo, or canned chicken with mayo. Atkins always said that it is better to have fat with your protein as the fat is what really keeps you satisfied and satiated.
Once you move on from induction the choices get so much varied. I have strawberries and blueberries in the fridge as well as low carb muffins and snack on nuts while cooking dinner. I have also been known to have a diet soda too while cooking so I don't indulge in my family's dinner. They don't low carb so I have to be careful not to taste! So hang on and enjoy the journey!!

dawnyama
Wed, Jan-21-09, 08:32
I just read another poster who stated she had some cheesecake. I used to have that everyday while I was pregnant and low carbing. Of course I kept it to one piece and not the whole thing! I love cheesecake and the fact that it is so easy to make it low carb--all you have to do is switch to AS and replace your sugar. Very simple and yummy!! The recipe I use is for a New York style cheesecake with the sour cream topping and you can make it with or without a crust. My kids love the cream cheese muffins too. It is a much simpler recipe than my cheesecake, but good for induction too. That is induction legal as well. Let me know if you are interested in the recipes for anything I have listed. I love to share!! Plus they are not my recipes, I have been collecting low carb recipes for 9 years.

kimbar69
Wed, Jan-21-09, 08:41
We need to put together a daily thread so we aren't always popping back and forth from thread to thread any ideas for some names of a group etc??

kimbar69
Wed, Jan-21-09, 08:43
I am stuck at home with no car today... I wish I could run to the store to get some stuff to make up some of these goodies y'all have got my mouth watering over... theres always tomorrow!!! lol

doit4me
Sun, Jan-25-09, 14:24
Hey Kimbar69 how are you doing? I know we started the same day and I see you are making great changes as well! Congrats!

kimbar69
Mon, Jan-26-09, 17:20
Hey doit4me we really need to start a regular thread for those that started around our time frame and newbies to come... I am doing pretty good and you?? I just made some pumpkin muffins haven't tried them yet and I can't find where I got the recipe so I can figure out how many carbs they are and double check that I am aloud to have them on induction... always doubting myself...lol

doit4me
Tue, Feb-03-09, 10:58
Hey kimbar how are you doing?
I didn't know where to post this cause I see you don't have a journal so thought I'd come back here lol
Your name sticks in my head because we started the same day so I thought I would check in with you and see how you are doing. :)