PDA

View Full Version : new and worried

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

crystalv
Thu, Jan-15-09, 12:04
Hi, i started Atkins the first week of Jan. I weigh 185 and am 5'6 I have been in ketosis for 4 days. I have had a one pound weight loss which i contribute to water. Other than that no loss of an inch. How long does it typically take to see any results. I have read the Atkins book before, but i cant find it now. I am in this for the long run, and i will not stop until i reach my goal. I would just like to not get to discouraged. Its great to find a site with so many people going through the same thing. Good luck to all.

ruthla
Thu, Jan-15-09, 12:09
Weight loss is VERY individual. Some people lose a huge amount of weight in the beginning. Others lose much more slowly, but still lose steadily.

If you're not losing weight steadily after about 2 weeks on Atkins, then you'll want to post a sample menu (or a link to an online food log) so that others can help you figure out what you might be doing wrong- too few or too many calories, hidden carbs somewhere, a specific food you may be stalling you, etc.

But if you've only been in ketosis for 4 days it's much too soon to worry.

crystalv
Thu, Jan-15-09, 12:39
Thanks for the info. I wonder if maybe im not taking in enough fat. Perhaps i need to eat more red meat like beef. I have been eating mostly baked chicken for lunch and dinner. With lunch usually a cup of salad, with dinner half a cup of broccoli. For breakfast, one egg with two small pieces of canadian bacon and a slice of american cheese. Also a sugar free jello with whipped cream for desert. Any advise on this menu is appreciated, maybe im missing something.

LessLiz
Thu, Jan-15-09, 13:01
I didn't lose a pound in the first 2 weeks. Did okay after that.

dawnyama
Thu, Jan-15-09, 14:05
Sometimes it does take a while for the old bod to realize that you are serious this time!! Your menu looks fine as long as you are eating full fat dressings (no fat free or low cal stuff on Atkins) on your salad and have butter on your broccoli. Some might tell you to ditch the Jell-O but I think it is too early for that. If you feel like you want to eat red meat then go ahead. Boneless skinless chicken is very dry. I cannot eat it without a ton of sauce on it--or if it has cheese melted on top with real bacon crumbled on top. My kids love it that way too!! Don't get bored eating the same things every day. I love my fat!!!

Kisal
Thu, Jan-15-09, 15:40
Welcome, Crystal! :wave:

Mousesmom
Thu, Jan-15-09, 17:32
Maybe your system is still in shock and holding onto water. Be patient and the wt will start coming off soon.

Julie

Kenna
Thu, Jan-15-09, 18:00
That happened to me and I was told to get rid of the jello and whipped cream...well I was using Cool whip...I was told making your own cream with heavy cream is okay in moderation but to get rid of the jello and stay as close to "clean" as possible...I was also eating the Atkins bars...this happened to me last week...so this week i'm doing it all clean and not eating the processed foods. Not sure if that is sabotaging you or not...i'm sure also everyone is different as well. I did low carb in 2005 and lost ALOT of weight in 5 months...this time around its not so easy.

LessLiz
Thu, Jan-15-09, 19:32
Let me explain a little... from my starting weight when I first went low carb I didn't lose a single pound during the first 2 weeks. I did *not* change a thing and lost 17 pounds the 3rd week.

Give it a chance.

dawnyama
Fri, Jan-16-09, 08:54
Wow Liz! That is incredible!! Yeah, I agree sometimes it does take a while for the body to realize you are serious. Glad to hear you stuck it out.

addict1000
Sat, Jan-17-09, 05:04
Welcome Crystal,

If you are going to do this long term like you said then there is no rush, although it can be frustrating!

I would run out to a used book store and get a copy of Atkins. You will feel so much more confident with information in your arsenal.

Best wishes on this journey! You can do it :)